Books! 'Good' fantasy books - your recommendations

Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 127 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
*Alandriel*
Post subject: Books! 'Good' fantasy books - your recommendations
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 9:06 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

There! I'm starting a first book thread :mrgreen:

'Good fanasy' novels are hard to come by. So I wonder what you all out there have read and could recomment.

Currently my bed-side book is 'Novice' by Trudi Canavan. It's the second in the 'Black Magician Trilogy' and although I have not read the first (unavailable from the library) I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Good writing (!) and an interesting story.

I've read (amongst others I can't recall for obviously they haven't captivated me enough)

- Wheel of time series / Robert Jordan > sorry to say did not like it very much... after book 2 it becomes 'tedious'
- Ghormenghast (never made it past chapter 3 but it's great for descriptions)
- A bunch of books by Barbara Erskine (more historical fantasy though) - quite enjoyable
- Terry Pratchet (sorry .. don't like him at all..)
- Ursula K. Le Guin / the Wizzard of Earthsee Quartett :mrgreen: fab books!
- I read some 'dragon-riders' book but for the life of me can't remember title nor author :oops: Obviously I wans't all that impressed

I'd love to see what books you've read and enjoyed in this genre.. and tell me (us) why

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 9:33 pm
b77 whipping boy

Oh boy, there's a list...

Do we count Sci-fi as well?

Narnia books, although I must say they have failed to please me in recent readings.

McCaffrey is the author of the Dragonriders of Pern books. Decent for the most part, but declined over time.

I have read the first two Jordan books, but can't get through the third.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth had potential, but has failed to please in recent books.

Terry Brooks Shannara books were good at first, but I couldn't get into a single one after the original three.

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman have done good stuff. The original Dragonlance trillogy was a lot of fun, if you can get past the obvious basis on RolePlaying. Their Death Gate Cycle is still one of my favorite series of all time (that world is an amazingly realized world so very different from our own).

There's this guy named Tolkien... I've heard good stuff about him...

The Bazil Broketail books by Christopher Rowley are very good, but they are almost entirely about war and battles. So if you like that kind of thing, they're a lot of fun.

I absolutely LOVE Patricia Wrede's "Dragons" books.

Robin McKinley's "Blue Sword" and "Hero and the Crown" are excellent, and her "Outlaws of Sherwood" is my favorite telling of the Robin Hood story ever.

And saving my favorite for last (although I've read many more that I'm not remembering), Stephen Brust's Vlad Taltos novels are so very very fun to read.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 10:55 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I'm not that much of a fantasy girl, but I've been coaxed into a few by dint of my Tolkien passion. A hint though is that most of the fantasy I like has a history twist of some sort (though some twists are vaguer than others).

"His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman

- once the author hits his 'voice' confidently about mid-way through the first of the trilogy, it's un-put-down-able. Religion is dealt with in a serious way (atheist allegory is one way I've seen it described). It has a fabulous anti-hero in Lyra. And i dare anyone to read it and not start to imagine what their daemon might look like.

"Mythago Wood" - by Robert Holdstock

Mythagos are creatures of myth; Robin Hood, Green Men and beings older still. The main character returns from WW2 to be drawn into the maze of the wood, deeper and deeper to confront myth and imagination.

"The Song of Albion Trilogy: The Paradise War; The Silver Hand; The Endless Knot" by Stephen Lawhead

- this is my favourite fantasy trilogy ever (LOTR isn't a real trilogy, so don't accuse me of lack of faith!). Two Oxford postgrads are sucked through a cairn into the Celtic Otherworld and must fight to save it and us. It encapsulates competent prose, engaging characters and an addictive plot. Every fan of fantasy literature should try this.

"The Warlord Trilogy: The Winter King; Enemy of God; Excalibur" by Bernard Cornwell.

- this trilogy is the only other thing written by the author of "Sharpe" that I've liked. It's a very 'Sharpe' take on the King Arthur myth.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 11:15 pm
Milk and kisses

I was going to recommend "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman but Leoba has beaten me to it (damn! :P ;) ). It's the only fantasy book that has managed to capture me, after reading Tolkien.

(I'm convinced that Byron is my daemon, btw ;))

But "Earthsea" by Ursula K. LeGuin is fab too. :)

And skirting the realm of fantasy, I can't not recommend "Dune" by Frank Herbert - sci-fi in the sense that it's set in a hypothetical future, but I wouldn't call it conventional sci-fi; it's more a political and ecological allegory than a space opera.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 1:40 am
You Tolkien to me?

Well, three of my favorite series have been mentioned already: His Dark Materials, the Deathgate Cyle and the Discworld series (sorry you didn't like them, Alandriel :() But no worries, there's more:

The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier

A celtic-based trilogy, where the first one- "daughter of the forest" is an adaptation of the celtic legend of six brothers who got turned into swans, and their little sister who saved them. Absolutely beautiful tale. The second and third books are great too, but can't match up to the astonishing first installment. Marillier has three other books she's written: "wolfskin", "foxmask" and the first of her new Bridei chronicles, "the dark mirror." Wolfskin and The dark mirror were good, but personally i though Foxmask was a bit of a turn-off..... :mrgreen:

The Bitterbynde Trilogy by Cecilia Dart-Thornton

Very Tolkienish in that the author sets great store by detail, but with infinetly more of a magical theme in it than Tolkien had in his books. V. good reading.

Oh yea, and just my two send on the WoT series....i couldn't even get through the first chapter :LMAO:

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 3:14 am
That Weird American

Well, let's see...

Here are my recommendations, by author:
Robert Heinlein
Ray Bradbury
Katherine Kerr (she has an interesting series involving a fictional/fantasy version of Wales, but be prepared to read through over 10 books, and then wait for her to write the next one)
Patricia McKillip (Specifically the "Riddlemaster of Hed" series...I consider it one of the best trilogies I've ever read, but she's got other, fine stand-alone books)

I'm sure I've got others, but those are the ones that I can think of right now. I share the recommendation of "Dune" (I wish they'd do another, better, movie of it) and the "Earthsea" series (By the way, has anyone seen the "made-for TV" "movie" based on this? After the first "preview" on the radio, I made sure to steer as far away from it as possible...).

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 4:11 am
Sharpe-sighted

I must second halplm with Anne McCaffrey. Some of the Pernish Dragon-books are my favourites, but it gets worn out with every new book she writes.

Alandriel, you don't like Pratchett? Well, he has a certain kind of humour one should be attached to.

Piers Anthony's Xanth-series comes to my mind (in fact, I just turn around to look at them :wink:). But these also get worn out with every new book. And I do like his incarnations: Death, Time, Nature.. as in "On a pale horse"

Raymond Feist's Midkemia-Saga is there...

Mark Anthony : The last Rune - here too, good start, but not so good in continuing

Then Jennifer Roberson's Shapechangers - series

Joy Chant: The grey Mane of Morning

And YAY, again halplm.. Robin McKinley
there is another one: Deerskin

oh, and I recommend Stephen King here: The Eyes of the Dragon

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 5:28 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to fantasy novels. The only ones I've read are the ones by Tolkien and another called Eragon. :oops:

I enjoyed Eragon but I'm not sure if it would live up to the quality of other fantasy novels, but when one reads it, they must remember that it was written by a 16-year old boy. I found the story compelling and I'm eagerly awaiting the next book in the trilogy.

I really want to read the Earthsea books. I saw some of the mini-series that was on the SciFi channel and even though it was crap, I could tell the story was good.

Has anyone here read a book called Tigana? I've seen it recommened before and wonder what you all think about it?

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 9:37 am
That Weird American

Eru, I hate to say it, but the sci-fi channel Earthsea show, as far as I could tell, had Nothing to do with the books except, in general, the settings. You'll have to read them yourself and tell me how different they are, but from what I understand, there's little similarity.

I'll echo the Robin McKinley and Anne MacCaffery recommendations...particularly the MacC "Ship Who" series she did with several different authors. Very entertaining.

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 9:50 am
Try to stay perky

I won't repeat what others have sai (except I do really enjoy Dune! Only the first three books though, written by the man himself.)

I recommend "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke - though not really fantasy as usually defined. It's a thick, thick book, set in early 19th century England and is about a man who brings modern magic back to England. I guess it's more faery than fantasy - but very, very absorbing and written in a most interesting, unorthodox voice.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 10:29 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Ahhhhhhh :mrgreen:
So many recommendations! Thank you folks – that's really fabulous. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The library guys will probably start to hate me coming in with more 'booking requests'. Our local library has so few fantasy books but at least they can get them from other places. I'm sick of buying so many paperbacks that get red once and then accumulate dust on the shelves… and storage is a real problem in my place. (But yes.. I do sell them on ebay too occasionally, when I can be bothered :wink: )

Dune: I LOVE Dune (although usually I'm not into sci-fy stuff) … but like Impenitent said, only the first three.

I've eyed the Chronicles of Narnya quite a few times – they stock them in the children's section though and somehow, for I just never got into Harry Potter, I assumed they'd be similar. Maybe they're worth a second look and more than just a cursory glance over the opening chapter.

McCaffrey that's the name, :bang: of course. But no – sorry to say, just was not my thing… which is really strange considering I do have a 'thing' for dragons

Terry Goodkind – Sword of Truth series. When you mentioned that halplm a bell went ringing. I have read them.. but I don't remember them all that well anymore but think I quite liked them. A good one to keep on my list to keep my eye out for again.

and I fully echo your sentiments about Terry Brooks Shannara books the first 3 were quite fun.. but I gave up on the others

many other authors you mention Christopher Rowley, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Patricia Wrede, Robin McKinley, Stephen Brust, I've never even heard of… :oops: but that will change. :mrgreen:

Leoba: I don't mind 'fantasy' stuff with historical background… to a certain degree :wink: I'll check out some of your suggestions though, especially "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman since it's got your and Berhael's approval.

And about "Earthsea" by Ursula K. LeGuin I just have to say it again: They're fabulous!! So yes Eru by all means, add them to your reading list. I'd hate to see the TV series though … hardly ever do they manage to do a good book justice.

Pratchett: no, I'm sorry to say Areanor and Peeg I just could not get the hang of it. Actually, his writing style irritated me.. or maybe I'm just dumb and miss the humour.

Faaaaaaab! Thank you guys :hug:

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 10:31 am
Morituri Nolumus Mori

One of my favorite writers is Guy Gavriel Kay. I still haven't read all by him, but "the Fionavar Tapestry (three books)" is very good, as is "Tigana". Definitely something you could try...:)

Then there's Robin Hobb. There are three trilogies by now, two of which are linked. The Farseer trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy. I am still only reading Tawny Man, book 1 but it's good. The other trilogy is "The Liveship Traders".

George RR Martin with "A Song of Ice and Fire". I believe that's currently up to book 4. It's very medieval inspired with knights and houses, and no evil and good clearly defined. Great books.

Tad Williams - Otherland. But only read the first book. The second and third are boring and definitely not as good as part 1.

Good luck searching! :mrgreen:

P.S: You could always go for "Legends". It's a collection of short stories by various well-known authors. First "Legends" included writers such as George RR Martin, Terry Pratchett, Robert Jordan, Raymond E. Feist, Anne McCaffrey, Stephen King and more. That way yuo can get a feel of a writer and sometimes the setting as well. If you like the short story, you can buy the real books. ;)

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 12:08 pm
You Tolkien to me?

Another one i remembered- Garth Nix. His Sabriel, Liriel, Abhorsen series was excellent.....not exactly like your normal fantasy stuff, and with a really original twist.

Ag, i've been meaning to read The Tawny Man trilogy sometime, it sounded really good, but haven't been able to find it anywhere....they always have either the second or third books at the bookshops and libraries. Tell me, is it worth all the effort i'm going through to find it? :LMAO: :wink:

Alandriel it's ok if you don't like Pratchett....i'd agree, his humor can be very weird sometimes, and sometimes there's not even a definite plot going, somtimes it feels like he's just writing randomly, but his ideas are so original and his characters are absolutely fantastic :mrgreen:

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 1:25 pm
Sharpe-sighted

Guru, yes, the Ship, who.... I have them, too and loved them and I like the Rowan series...

Tad Williams, that's another yes, but I haven't read the Otherland books.
I own the Dragonbone Chair etc. (East Ard ?) - I only have them in german, I'm afraid.

Alandriel, what have you tried by Pratchett? There's the Carpet People a rather interesting view of what might go on in your carpet :wink: ....

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 2:01 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
Tad Williams, that's another yes, but I haven't read the Otherland books.
I own the Dragonbone Chair etc. (East Ard ?) - I only have them in german, I'm afraid.
I have them in English if you want to borrow them Alandriel. They are quite hard work at times, but kind of nice. Its fairly obviously 10-12 century England and North europe, but nicely done and some really well done baddies ;)

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 3:26 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Din: I never say no to borrowing books. Thanks for the offer :hug:

Areanor & Peeg: you know.. I think I might have confuzzled Prachett with someone else :oops: Just went through the whole listing on Amazon.. and for the life of me not one single book title rings a bell :Q This is scarey - the air pockets are taking over. I've looked through many a title and if I've gotten it right, then he starts off with 'The Colour of Magic', right?
As to Carpet people[/b] I'm not so entirely sure I want to know :P

While we're on the topic of fantasy.....

Can you recommend any children's fantasy books ? Age group around 6-8? I've tried reading the Hobbit to my daughter but because of the style... it's a bit difficult. Also - it can't be 'too' scarey. Tough I know, but I would like to get my hands on some good ones (like 'The Far-away Tree, Enyd Blyton)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 3:56 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Ooh, Enid Blyton's "The Magic Faraway Tree" is indeed magic! :mrgreen: I have a horrid feeling that my childhood copy has been purloined by my sister. But it's certainly one to get hold of.

"Chronicles of Narnia" as mentioned before would be about right for maybe 7/8 years old and upwards. I think I was reading them from about 7. To my eyes now, the Christian allegory is painfully obvious, but I missed it entirely as a child and loved tales like "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" purely for the characters and plot lines.

Others that I was was introduced to, maybe a little older at 10 or 11 - authors such as Susan Cooper or Rosemary Sutcliffe. However I am possibly their worst advocate - they really didn't do it for me.

Time-travel books, on the other hand were what I lived for as an 8 or 9 year old. "The Secret World of Polly Flint" or "Moondial" by Helen Cresswell were both turned into TV series around the right age for me. And I couldn't put down Alison Uttley's "A Traveller in Time", again when I was 9.

It's tougher to find things that would be right for Yasmeen's age-range, but you might want to consider some of Philip Pullman's other stand-alone stories (shorter and easier IMO than his trilogy).

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 4:53 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I don't know any of those novels :oops: .

I'm not at all a fantasy reader when it comes to someone else than Tolkien. I started the Dragonbone throne series (in French) but did not like it - it seemed to me that he pulled out a new creatures every time that one was needed.

I think that's it... I don't like creatures....

Alandriel: an excellent entry beside Susan Cooper, who got me to Tolkien when I was a kid.

Die unendliche Geschichte (The Neverending Story) - the movie was a crime, but the book is a good children's book and the original is in German ;)

The Borthers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (and I also have her fairytales in a German version standing in Leukerbad.... just in case) - not classic fantasy either, but a fantastic book.

The first Harry Potter....

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 5:31 pm
b77 whipping boy

I can't believe I didn't mention Harry Potter!

Ack. Well, if you like them they're really really readable. Much more movie-like than novel-like. However, if you're like me, you can even read the 700 page ones in a day, so it's not like it takes up a vast amount of time.

on Anne McCaffrey, I didn't speak to it before, as I was sticking to Fantasy, but I actually think she's a bit better at the sci-fi.

Personally, I think her best work was in the Crystal Singer Trilogy. Killashandra Ree is the best female character I've ever read.

Also, her Harper Hall Trilogy is my favorite set in Pern, and there are few dragons.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 6:15 pm

Nin, I liked the Neverending movie! Part one of course. It's surprisingly faithful to the book...no, Atreyu doesn't have blue skin but so what.

See, I propose everyone here start learning Polish. There's this awesome book about a moonshining eighty-year-old civilian exorcist that I can't share with any of you.... :(

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 127 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jump to: