board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

What edition of LotR shall I buy????

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Areanor
Post subject: What edition of LotR shall I buy????
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 11:04 pm
Sharpe-sighted

:help:

My one-volume edition of LotR is falling apart. Well, 20 years old, 40 times read and thumbed through uncountable times, it may rest in well deserved peace.

But.. I will need a new one. Now I browsed Amazon.uk (and yes, I WILL DEFINITLY order that SHARPE-THINGIE, even if my hubby is going to kill me then) and found 519 hits for LotR... hard to wade through and decide then.

I had this paperback edition one-volume by HarperCollins in my hands when I was at Oxford Moot 2003, but decided against it... didn't feel right.

I was thinking about getting a three-volume edition, but it's hard to choose without actually seeing it and thumbing it. Especially when that what I want is a full volume with all the appendices. At Amazon you can only guess if the appendices are there or not.

I absolutely fell in love with this DeLuxe edition, but it's hard to tell if it's worth the price and even then it won't be a book for every day reading.

I think about getting this one and its companions : Book II, and
Book III because I can get it as paperback three-book-set from the english book club for 40 EUR, but I feel unsure about it.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

in other words:
I can't decide. :rage:

So I ask.... Can somebody recommend a good edition which I could order online or would you say I should wait until I come to Britain again and get hold of the "real" books? Though I really hope that might be later this year.....

:help:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 11:20 pm
Milk and kisses

I like having a luxury hardback edition just for the sake of it, and a cheap paperback one for reading and leafing through. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 11:29 pm
WYSIWYG

I can only say I much prefer to look at books at a bookstore before I buy them.

I've got things from amazon - reliable and cheap, but when it comes to books they often only offer the cheapest copy.

As to LOTR, hmmmh, yeah I've been fantasizing about getting some classy, one-volume, hardcover stuff, too, but then I'm happy with my Harper-Collins movie tie-in (a silhouette of the fellowship on the cover - very pretty, IMO).

But if yours is falling apart, areanor, I agree you need something new.
I'd suggest the black covered Harper-Collins paperbacks (if you want it for frequent reading) because it's cheap and fits with all the other Tolkien books they publish.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 11:44 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I prefer to buy books in a bookshop where I can feel them and get a flavour of the paper quality. However, if your existing LOTR is shedding pages like dandruff, Areanor, how about getting the Harper Collins paperback. It's not too expensive and is a good weight and size to carry in a handbag or curl up with in bed (both important considerations in a novel!).

Then when you next come over to England, you can take yourself somewhere scrummy like Foyles or Blackwells and choose the perfect hardcover edition as a reference copy.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 6:17 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Leoba wrote:
I prefer to buy books in a bookshop where I can feel them and get a flavour of the paper quality.
Isn't this methodology more suitable for buying stamps?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 7:18 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

It's a long time since you posted a letter isn't it Lidless. Stamps come ready stickified these days. No lickin' required. ;)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 11:53 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Am late to this :oops: but I wanted to tell you Areanor I love my Harper Collins edition illustrated by Alain Lee to bitts :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 8:14 pm
Sharpe-sighted

You're late, Alandriel, so true.

Yesterday I ordered the Sharpe DVD's at Amazon.

And the three-book edition at the Englishbookclub.

The hardcover DeLuxe edition will have to wait, I'm afraid.

At least until I recovered from whatever my husband will do, if he finds out how much money I spent this month on books/DVD's :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 2:14 pm
Gloriosus

Ah, I am too late, too, forsooth!

I would like to direct you to www.abebooks.com - i bought a splendid Allen & Unwin first edition there for a heap of money, but there are cheaper copies too.

– – –

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 26 Jan , 2005 10:30 pm
Sharpe-sighted

Thanks for the link anyway, Mummpy.

That's a shop I would love to spend time and money on.

I will save the link because I'm sure I will find books there that I wanted to buy ages ago and can't get them now. Besides, I might easier be able to sell some unwanted books there than on ebay, what do you think?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Jan , 2005 8:57 am
Triathlete

I've got the one-volume copy with Alan Lee's Gandalf on the front, which I enjoy very much. I even bought it in England so it would have all the words spelled right.

But ever since I saw this cover, I've been drooling over it, and would love to find a copy of the book.

Donato cover

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Jan , 2005 4:54 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
But ever since I saw this cover, I've been drooling over it, and would love to find a copy of the book.

Donato cover
There are too many hands pawing Frodo...and not one of them is Sam's :Q

I was disapointed in that cover :LMAO:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Jan , 2005 6:02 pm
Milk and kisses

Is it me, or that Frodo looks like Orlando Bloom?

I like Aragorn though, that's how I envisage him. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jan , 2005 4:42 pm
Gloriosus

You and your beautyful Aragorns. Aragorn must be ugly, don't you remember? Frodo said something like "he'd look fairer and speak fouler" at the Prancing Pony in "Mandarina Duck".

– – –

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jan , 2005 5:00 pm
Milk and kisses

Beautiful?? :Q I liked Donato's Aragorn because he looks rugged and Ranger-ish, and in his late 40s... he doesn't look pretty to me at all!

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jan , 2005 5:09 pm
Gloriosus

Aw come on. If he'd be a real man he'd have a double chin and a paunch.

– – –

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jan , 2005 5:22 pm

Dindraug wrote:
Quote:

Donato cover
There are too many hands pawing Frodo...and not one of them is Sam's :Q

I was disapointed in that cover :LMAO:
OMG :Q :Q I thought that was Arwen in Aragorn's arms!!!

No, seriously, and I was racking my brain trying to figure out what scene in the book/movie this was supposed to represent!

Yeah, Frodo, much too feminine by far!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jan , 2005 5:28 pm

BTW, my original PB copies of the trilogy were losing pages, and had become very brittle with age. (I originally purchased them during the 70's!)Then, I dropped ROTK down behind the bed one day, and the cover just sheared right off! :Q :Q

So, I replaced them, and threw the originals in the trash.

It was like saying goodbye to a couple of dear, old friends! :( :(

(The covers all had the same picture, of the nine members of the Fellowship all walking away from the viewer. There was no background/scenery to the picture, and the figures were quite small.)

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jan , 2005 5:39 pm

Threw them....in...the....TRASH???

I'll pretend I didn't read that.

I own two English copies, two sets of three volume Polish translations...I made sure I bought the old, uncorrected translation, where Shadowfax is called 'Gryphin' and the Golden Perch is thought to mean staff rather than fish. :P I just love it. There are currently three different translations, one of which is so bad it has websites explaining just how bad it is...so one must be careful.

I think I'll get myself another nice edition soon. Maybe.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 10:37 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

You know what I'd really like one day? Just for the kick of it?
A LotR copy in chinese script :mrgreen:

Or arabic.... if it only existed *sigh*

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: