board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Notes from a Big Country by Bill Bryson

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 20 posts ]
Eruname
Post subject: Notes from a Big Country by Bill Bryson
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 5:20 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I just recently started reading this book. It's Iavas's and was given to him by Berhael as a birthday gift to help him deal with his move to America.

I'm not sure whether I like this book or not, but I can definately understand why it was so popular in the UK. I had expected a book merely commenting on America, but not criticizing it. I must say that reading this book has made me feel bad...made me feel like I'm part of some ignorant, slobbish, fat nation...it starts to get one down when you keep seeing comments of this same nature from many outside of the US (or walk into several British bookstores and see at least 8 or so books that are criticizing America which is obvious by their title...there must be some need/want in Britian to read disparaging things about the US..I don't know).

This book is supposed to be about America written from the view point of an American returned to his country. Bryson may be an American by birth, but I don't really consider this book to be written by an American. With all the time he's spent in the UK, he's really writting from a European standpoint...his writing style is even British. So it does bother me a bit to think that Europeans who read this book will readily believe what he has to say and love the fact that an American is criticizing America (kind of like Michael Moore, but not near as bad).

I do find parts of his book funny though. I think he has a good way of looking at life. The chapter "Rule Number: Follow All Rules" though I would wager you'd find the same situation happening in other countries as well. ;)

Some specific things: The chapter "Wide Open Spaces" bothered me a bit...particularily this part:

"The fact is America is already one of the least crowded countries on earth with an average of just sixty-eight people per square mile, compared with 256 in France and over 600 in Britain. Altogether, only 2 percent of the United States is classified as 'built up'.

Of course, Americans have always tended to see these things in a different way. Daniel Boon famously is supposed to have looked out of his cabin window one day, seen a wisp of smoke rising from a homesteader's dwelling on a distant mountain and annouced his intention to move on, complaining bitterly that the neighbourhood was getting too crowded.

Which is why I say Daniel Boone was an idiot. I just hate to see the rest of my country going the same way"

Alright, we've thrown around the term "pinko tree hugger" around here when referring to liberal Europeans which would lead me to believe that Europeans care very much for the environment. So why is Bryson criticizing Americans for doing the same? I'm one of those that thinks some areas are becoming too built up. I've seen grassy or forested patches of land that have been around since I was a kid, bulldozed in order to build up cheap houses, apartments (flats), or new stores and this really saddens me. I think of all the wildlife that was either displaced or killed. I think there goes another piece of natural land that is now spoiled. I consider urban sprawl to be a problem. Of course America doesn't have the problem Europe has, especially the UK, but why shouldn't we want to conserve our land and keep it beautiful? I always love going on long drives, being out in the middle of nowhere and trying to imagine what the Native Americans or early settlers must have seen when they travelled the unspoiled land. To me that's a beautiful thing.

The other chapter that bothered me was "Junk Food Heaven". Sorry, but I've been to British grocery stores and places like Tesco look just like American grocery stores. Plenty of junk food in there. I've also seen a good amount of obese British folk as well. I don't see that big of a difference between America and the UK so I don't take British criticism on this subject that well. ;) I have to say that I eat more junk food now that I've been living with Iavas because he has such an affinity for biscuits and any kind of cakey desert!!

Anyway, I'm only on page 94 and will more than likely be posting more of my thoughts later.

(Bryson has written a book about the UK right? I'd be very interested to read that one if he has)

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 10:55 am
Milk and kisses

I'm sorry if the book bothered or offended you, Eru. I had flicked through it before I got it for Iavas, and found it funny - as I did his other books, where he criticises the UK and Europe. :) It seems to be his style, so I wouldn't think that it's the US-bashing that people find funny, but the general grumpiness (Bryson has appeared in a popular TV show here called "Grumpy Old Men", where men like him criticise anything and everything, from modern fashion to mobile phones). Anyway, from what I can recall, it wasn't particularly US-bashing. Finding faults with oneself and one's own things - nation, eating habits, etc. - seems to me to be simply a healthy self-awareness habit.

More on the subject when I have a bit more time...

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 6:23 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I do find the general grumpiness funny and I it didn't feel like the general US-bashing...it wasn't near that bad, but it was still done in a slightly mocking tone to me.

I agree that finding faults with oneself and one's own things can be healthy (unless one does is waaaaaaaay too often like myself), but in this case I don't consider him to be finding faults with his own nation. I consider a European to be doing it, and when you constantly see criticism coming from an area, it no longer feels like it's helping, but only hurting and it creates negative feelings IMO.

Things are just piling up. My first chance to find out what people from other countries think of America was in Manwe and I admit it hurt to read things such as

"I am not fond of America or Americans, although I do count several Americans amongst my closest friends. As a people though, they are arrogant, selfish in the extreme, dull and introverted.

They do have problems with understanding ideas from other cultures as well, or anything not profit motivated."

...and when you continue to hear things of that nature in threads like this and see/hear more of it when you travel outside of America for the first time, it can be quite depressing.

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Jan , 2005 6:24 am
Sharpe-sighted

Eru, well, that are common prejudices. Just think of the picture an average american would have of a german.... or the opinion we all have about the Japanese touring Europe in 15 days with their cameras. Wait, there are Americans doing the same. :wink: :mrgreen:

I liked the Bryson books. It was claear to me that he is exaggerating a lot to be funny, but there is a true essence. The same is there in the books about Europe.

I can't quite remember the part of the book you were quoting, but I think Bryson isn't critisizing the Americans for saving the environment. Instead he critisizes them for destroying landscape for the sake of living on a spacious estate without neighbours around. Besides, the facts that America is among the few countries who haven't agreed to minimize their CO2-ejection and that in the U.S. there are cars built which are the most thirsty for oil around the globe, doesn't help....

Oh, and yes, the picture one gets by reading Michael Moore is even more disturbing.

off to get a hand on the Bryson books again

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Jan , 2005 9:47 am
Triathlete

There is that strange urge for Americans to each have their own little plot of land, not realizing the consequences of everyone doing that. I once talked to a guy in the Seattle area who was complaining that he had to do a two hour commute. Then later in his conversation he talked glowingly about his one acre lot that his house sat upon. He didn't get it. There is only so much space around a city, and not all of the millions of people around it can have one acre lots, a short commute away from the city center. In fact, there are only 640 acres in a square mile. A million people, with an acre each (plus 20% for roads and schools and such) would take up (um, wait a minute, gotta take off my socks to calculate this one) an area 43 miles by 43 miles. Not sure what that has to do with this thread, but I'm a pushover for word problems.:D

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Feb , 2005 12:40 am
WYSIWYG

He's like that in all his books. So at least you can comfort yourself that it's not specifically anti-Americanism. He just feeds people's prejudices.
I'm currently reading "Neither here nor there", which is about Europe.
People had recommended all his books as wildly funny, so I thought I get a book where I recognize the places he is talking about.
I must say that for the must part I think he's a total idiot!
Yes, sometimes he makes a funny comment - but to my shame I must admit that I only laugh when I either don't know the place he ridicules or when I share the prejudice on which the joke is based.
When he ridicules somewhere I like, I just think "what a jerk you are!", so I suppose the rest of the stuff is just as unfunny really.
The thing is his ridicule is totally unfair - ok, I'm not sure if there can be something like fair ridicule.
For example, he travels around, praising himself for not speaking any language but English, because it makes talking to people so much more exiting - and then he paints some Swedish clerk or Italian police-officer as utterly stupid because they don't understand what he wants.
And he usually hates a place when he gets there on a rainy day after a bad journey, and like the places where he has sunshine and a good hotel - well, d'uh! :roll:

And him dissing Cologne doesn't help either, of course! ;)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 6:46 am
Best friends forever

I've enjoyed every one of Bill Bryson's books. He picks on everyone, and has the disarming ability to laugh at himself. "Notes from a Big Country" was written specifically for the British market, though, and is a trifle more meanspirited than his other books.

He is also a scholar of the English language. If you want to laugh, and to learn something, read "Made in America" or "The Mother Tongue". These books are howlingly funny, and full of odd and interesting bits of information.

Americans might think he turned into a "European" or "a Brit", but over there, he's definitely regarded as an American.

I would love to know how the Australians felt about his Australia book.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 11:51 am

Estel pointed out "A Walk in The Woods" to me at a flea-market in London. I got it because I never resist a book that costs 2 quid and has a friend's recommendation.

In fact I rarely resist a book.

But back to the subject...

I haven't started reading it yet but it seems like I've got the 'safe' Bryson. Unless him dissing bobcats and mosquitoes strikes a nerve, I should get a chuckle minus the irritation.

But from what you guys say, it sounds like he's just like the authors for The Rough Guide series. I have one on Poland from 1990 and it's painfully honest.

Still, one who takes all of this seriously would never travel anywhere.;)

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 4:12 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

A Walk in the Woods is quite funny - he does bitch about cars and driving and how a lot of places just aren't pedestrian friendly anymore.

Personally, I love him - think he's funny as hell. I read "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" when I got back from Holland, and a lot of it was true.

And yeah, compared to Holland, all you see in American grocery stores is junk food. The food in restaurants here is covered in sauces and cheese and the meat isn't of as good a quality.

I'm not dissing America here, I'm just saying, after living as an American in Europe and coming back here - a lot of what he says is true.

Just try to remember he's writing to be funny. Yeah, his humour can be biting but.....

Here - think of it this way - If Steve were to write that book, would you be insulted, or just sigh and think it was his particular brand of humour and maybe Estel needs to slap him around a little bit ;)

Try to look at Bill the same way - he's got pretty much the same kind of humour that Steve has, and if you look at it that way, it gentles it a bit.

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 2:06 pm
Sharpe-sighted

Can't you tell Steve to write that book? I'd love to read it. :mrgreen:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Feb , 2005 3:38 pm
Fading Softly

I've only read Notes from a Small Island by him, and I adored it. He made fun of Britain, yes, but he also reminded me of a lot of things I love about the place. :)

I think at some point everyone has to deal with stereotypical images of their country. My lifestyle and culture is often equated with Apu in The Simpsons, while I was in England I had to deal with lots of jokes about whether or not my family owned a cornershop, and people have wondered how I can think I'm overweight when I'm from India...since we're all starving and all. :roll:

But you get used to it, you admit the truth in some of the stereotypes and laugh off the others. Americans seem more sensitive about this, but that's not surprising considering they seem to be the target of so much of it.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 2:21 am
Not so deep as a well

And deservedly so...I mean, our culture, such as it is, is only on display everywhere, all the time, from TV to movies to commerce to politics. It would be odd if Americans were NOT the target of more snarky observations per capita than any other country.

Americans, on the other hand, seem to think that we're just a much larger version of New Zealand, benign and happy and inoffensive. When we to go out and about in the world, figuring out that our reputation precedes us can be a shock.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Mar , 2005 12:04 am
Frodo's girl through and through

I find Bill Bryson's books extremely funny, laugh-out-loud funny.

I've read Neither Here Nor There - his book on Europe - and Notes from a Small Island - about Britain, both of which made me howl with laughter. Notes from a Small Island is probably rather out of date now, it's about 10 years old, but it really is a scream. And so true! :D He does have a lot of affection for Britain, and it shows.

He's not above criticising us though!

I enjoy Bryson's writing style. True, he can be a wee bit offensive at times but then again, that's kind of refreshing in today's ultra politically correct world.

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 11:18 am

I put something like this in another place, but I think it may be worth repeating.

it's a bit of a story so bare with me.

I worked overseas in a country which has many virtues, not least is the generosity of it's people, my job there had quite a lot of pressure, the not least of which was that I was effectively on from 7.00 am until I left my office at 6.00pm, and a number of key customers plus all my staff had my home phone number. Most days involved a business lunch with either clients or staff - and so relaxing/unwinding time was at a premium.

Once a week I would try and go for lunch at a local coffee shop which was pretty unique in that it served healthy food, what was even more of a distraction was that next door there was a decent second hand book shop - so my treat for the week would be to go there, eat moderately well, and read something interesting for an hour.

It was in this bookshop that I picked up a second hand copy of Tales from a Small Island. I settled down with my quiche and salad and started to read. THe book firstly dealt with places in the South of England, and I whilst I admired the writing style, and laughed out-loud at the notion of a dog that only attacks the disabled the book didn't do so much for me until, I read about places I know well, he started talking about Bradford, where I worked for 5 years and a Curry house called the Kashmir, this place is an institution, it's being going since the fifties, and it makes no compromises, the curries are served with Chapati's, and you eat with the fingers - he then moved on to talk about the horrors of being with his wife shopping in Harrogate - which is the town where we come from and he mentions a shop called Monsoon, which is where my wife had bought her ensemble for Africa.

At this point I would like to say that we had not been back to the UK for 3 years, I looked at my watch and saw that my lunch break had gone on for 90 minutes, after a quick phone to the office saying I was going to call in on British Airways to discuss a potential Mainframe air-frieght, I finished my coffee, and to give substance to the story called round at BA and asked to speak to the country manager, using the ex-pat type bull, I managed to blag 6 tickets leaving a 5 days later, at the cheapest rate - breaking all the normal rules, and was then faced with a call to my boss in Jo'burg to get his permision for a couple of weeks away.

A year later when I was back in the UK in rather less pleasant circumstances I met up with Bill Bryson and told him the story - how his book had engendered such strong feelings in me for home.

Although our conversation was relatively brief he struck me as completely charming, and reminds me to this day that not all Americans have to be like Mr Bush - if you have read this far thanks I have been very self -indulgent.

edit for grammer and spelling

Last edited by eborr on Thu 17 Mar , 2005 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Sister Magpie
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Mar , 2005 3:09 am

eborr wrote:
I put something like this in another place, but I think it may be worth repeating.

it's a bit of a story so bare with me.
That was a fabulous story!

The only one of BB's books I've ever read was "In a Sunburned Country," which I drew on for a book I was writing about that country (starring Daffy Duck and Taz, so my research didn't have to be that detailed, I admit) and I thought it was hysterical. Now I sort of want to read the one about America--I can imagine it would make you homesick reading something about your own country when you were living somewhere else. Though he'd have to cover an area of the country I really know, I suppose. Many people don't consider where I live to really be America. ;)

-m

Profile Quote
Northerner
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Mar , 2005 7:57 pm
Queen of the Tundra

I used to take Bryson's books with me to numerous medical appointments to pass the time while waiting. I probably hurt myself, choking back laughter. I think he's a gem. His appreciation of the absurd is marvelous.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jeanelf
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 1:34 am

I've read "A Walk in the Woods" and absolutely loved it and then bought it for several people. I really laughed out loud at a lot of it and couldn't put it down. Subsequent to that I read "Notes from a Small Island" and "In A Sunburned Country." I enjoyed all of them, but none so much as the first, because I really thought the tale of him and his friend on the Appalachian Trail was both interesting AND funny and related to their tribulations a great deal. The other two were really interesting as well, particulary because I'd like to travel abroad someday, but they weren't quite the laugh out loud stuff. :)

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Dec , 2006 11:45 pm
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

I'm reading A Walk in the Woods right now.......very easy reading. :) Like it so far.

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 03 Jan , 2007 1:25 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

Absolutely love Bryson, I have Notes from a small Island, the book on Australia ( my favorite so far) and the history of nearly everything.

:D great humour, easy light reading and fun

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Jan , 2007 2:47 am

I'm an American and I love bashing us. :lol:

Yeah.......anyways.

I LOVE BILL BRYSON! He's pretty high up on my list of fave authors. :D

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 20 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”