The Last Homely Site on the Web

Legolas and the Blue Kingdom, Chapters 16 and 17

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]
vison
Post subject: Legolas and the Blue Kingdom, Chapters 16 and 17
Posted: Tue 27 Dec , 2005 9:18 pm
Best friends forever

Chapter 16.........

The Afternoon of April 14..............Legolas.........

Can it really be that this Lord Luinil has got a Secret Cupboard in his Study? I would laugh, if it were not so deadly Serious. A Secret Cupboard, with a not-so-secret door that makes a loud sound, so loud that Captain Roland can hear it in his room? Well, I ought to be able to Figure this out easily enough. But I must say my Opinion of Luinil’s cunning has gone Down!

I spent some time with the Lady Alanta this morning, admiring a charming bay Filly lately born at the Lord’s stables. This is where Alanta is at her best, active, full of Energy, and as always, very beautiful. We had planned to go Riding, but one of her Archers called her aside and spoke quietly to her, and she, frowning, said she had to go on Patrol. I offered to go along, but of course she refused me, and I got such a Look for my troubles that I nearly laughed aloud.

The Men were at Sword exercise in the Garden, working up a sweat, and making a great deal of noise. The Elf servants that attend to that House were quite interested, and stood about watching, and I sat on a Bench and watched as well. They are a trusty Band, these Men, and up to anything I might ask of them, yet I do not wish to Endanger them for no cause. If I can do the thing on my Own, so much the better. They are bored, and grow Restless, and I will be heartily Glad to get them and myself out of this Place. The Lady Nienna strolled by, and there was that Dog at her heels. He looked at me as if he could speak, but he didn’t. Lady Nienna invited me to walk with her, she said she had been cooped up indoors for too long and needed some fresh Air. I was glad to give her my Arm, and so we walked about on the Paths near the Lord’s house, and she entertained me with chat about her Garden and her Hens, and the difficulties of making Lembas in exile. I let her ramble on, wondering what was Afoot, but if she had some Reason for desiring my Company, it came to naught, for Lord Luinil came along before too long, and that was the end of that. She smiled most lovingly upon him, and it did not seem that she was herself Annoyed to see him, but I was. Then I bethought myself that Luinil was in the Garden and not in the House, so I sauntered up to see Roland.

He was dozing, and I did not disturb him, but stood in the Hallway, looking at the way the doors were made, and measuring with my Memory how much space ought to be taken up by the Wall dividing the Lord’s study from Roland’s bedchamber. This is a well-built House, and the walls are thick, inside and out, yet it seems that this wall is thicker than it need be. There are chairs along the outer Wall between the Windows, and I sat across from the door of Roland’s room and studied the Situation. Roland woke and saw me, so I went in, but I had heard a Door open downstairs, so we talked only of his Wound and the Lady’s healing Arts. While we talked, we heard that Noise again and I was quite taken Aback, because I had not seen Luinil go by the Door, and there was no access from the other end of the Hallway. Moments later I heard someone open the Door of his study and come into the Hall and I half turned, so as to see, and I saw a Man that I had not seen before.

He did not look into Roland’s room, but was looking down the Hall, and he said, “Greetings, my Lord. Here I am again, you see!â€

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: