The Last Homely Site on the Web

RP Lite...

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
EdaintheRanger
Post subject: RP Lite...
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 12:42 am
The Red Fox

There was a shack up ahead. It looked sufficient. It had a sound roof, four walls and an open door. The man stopped dead in his tracks. How could he have missed it before? This was an opportunity not to be missed. His sudden lack of movement reminded him just why he had been scampering quickly. It was cold enough to, well... be very cold. The wind rattled the door on it hinges and the branches of the trees nearby too. He began to shiver. Indecision gripped him for all of three seconds, before he bolted for the door. All thoughts he had of catching something for the pot gone.

In haste to enter, he found himself skidding on a wax polished floor. Frantically he grabbed the doorknob for support. It pulled the door shut behind him with a frightful bang. Nose red and fingers numb he shuddered, as his eyes adjusted to the dimness of the room. Glowing light crackled from the fire pit in the centre, of what had appeared to be a shack. Shadows loomed close, but even so he could sense that the room held far more than what had appeared outside. He dared to take a breath. For some reason he found that he had been holding it. Familiar scents filled his nostrils: spice, honey, and pine. Wary he peered into the shadows and dim shapes took solid form. Along the panelled wall hooks stood shoulder high, and a treeherd swayed in the corner. Lowering his bow he squinted at the unlikely sight. He was mistaken; it was a hat-stand.

Rubbing his stomach, he cursed the anxious hunger there. It was playing on his mind, too much. The pine smoke swirled, stirred by the air currents and beyond the fire pit he felt he could see oval shields lining the walls. Also beyond alcoves promised stairwells. The far end of the hall appeared to be a landing. At this end of the hall when he looked up he could see open beams, and cured food hanging there, it was tempting. But what lived here? He had arrived like a thief, and they would be alert by now.

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 1:53 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

OOC-Ian you're lovely for starting this :D :D great idea!!

IC
With large strides she reached the main road again. Well, main road, it was little more but a trail left behind by hunters and other folk that walked in each others footsteps. Hot air escaped her lips and formed small puffs of white smoke on this drizzly day. The wind had been blowing a cold icy wind and the sky promised snow before nightfall.

“Just what I need.â€

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 10:08 pm
The Red Fox

The man spun around. His hand flew to the arrows that sat at his hip. His eyes were wide, a thin iris of blue catching the daylight that streamed from the doorway. Seeing the silhouette in the doorway, he was soon squinting as he tried to make out who it could be. It looked and sounded like a woman. Maybe it was a young one from the sound of the voice. Hungry and anxious, and with dependants to provide for, the man made a snap decision. The bow was lowered to the polished floor, he made no sudden movements. He lifted his other hand in a greeting.

“Ohh! You surprised me missus. I was just checking. I thought I saw a hare dart in here.â€

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 10:27 pm
wencherific

“Blasted cold.â€

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 10:33 pm

"You gonna put that candlestick down? Or have I got to make ya?"

She frowned underneath the strands of blonde hair that had fallen out of her braid, tucked underneath her collection of shawls. Who did this man think he was? She let her dark eyes slide past the half crouched position of the man and took in the obvious information keenly. Bow, arrow. Probably a knife or two hidden somewhere underneath that cloak. So predictable and she smiled a grim smile.

“You will try.â€

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 12:55 am
The Red Fox

In the tense moment, it would only take a spark to set off the action. Yet in the end it was a polite cough. Just as the woman in front of him looked left, and began to talk, the man took his chance. It was the hairs-breadth of a chance, enough to pedal him forward on his forward foot. Time seemed to slow, it was one of the strange moments that focused the mind. The others stood like statues, while the man was like liquid fire darting from the embers. His mind raged at him, "get it, get it, before..."

His fingers closed. Swivelling like a pendulum, he plucked the candlestick from her grasp, and made a safe distance in all one move.

"I'll ah tha'! Thankee!" He cried triumphantly once he was out of range.

Again there was a pause as everyone tried to work out what just was happening in the unusual place. The clunk of the candle stick signalled to time to begin again.

The stranger at the door spoke first: "I'm so like freezing here?!! Hel-lo, does anyone have any manners?"

The man and the other woman exchanged glances.

"Sure..." The man began.

But the blonde haired woman interrupted: "I was here first! Who are you people?!â€

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 7:45 pm
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Davor walked through the cold, muttering as he stepped over crisp, frozen moss, and trying not to glide away on the wet grass. As he tried to focus on his path, thoughts crossed his mind. God, why do I even bother? Guard for a miniscule and utterly dull town. Nothing exciting, boring people... I must be completely bonkers. And what am I doing here?

Deep lost in his thoughts, he came into range of a small shack. Thinking nothing of it, Davor sighed, shrugged and wanted to turn around as outbursts of yelling came from within the shack. Davor finally hoped for a bit of excitement and took tabacco out of his pocket, thinking of the heroic pose of the cop in action standing there with a cigaret.

Lifting the burning match to his mouth, the cigaret dropped out of his mouth into the damp ground. Sad, Davor lowered his head and let out another heavy sigh.

"Ooooh, bugger..."

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 9:10 pm
wencherific

What on earth had she walked into? In the blink of an eye, she watched as the man wrested the candlestick from the other woman triupmphantly. She shrugged her shoulders and shut the door. One night I'm comfortably settled in at a cozy Inn, tavern beneath. Now I'm...here. Wherever here happens to be.

She could feel the eyes of the other two studying her as she watched them in turn. So his name was Ald. That much she gathered, though he had a strange way of speaking. She couldn't recall encountering an accent like that before. Do I really want to tell them who I am? They're a strange lot, without a question.

"You say you were here first,", she said, looking towards the blonde haired woman. "But who owns this little shack? I think I might like to know where I am before bothering with the exchanging of anymore names."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
satch
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 10:32 pm

Loud voices startled her from her slumber, and she slowly opened one eye and peeped out. The world around her was completely black.

"D-dammit," she shivered quietly to herself, "it was only supposed to be a nap".

She opened both her eyes and blinked several times, eyes stinging from the icy wind that was whipping through the branches. Stretching her arms slowly underneath her many layers, she braced herself to turn and find the source of the disturbance. As she was straining to hear the voices, a second, much softer noise of crunching ice from below caught her interest.

Peering through the gloom, she saw the faint outline of a figure huddled below her. The figure pulled something out of a pocket, lit a match and then dropped what he was holding.

"Ooooh, bugger..." he sighed.

Smirking to herself, she twisted slightly to get a clearer view and suddenly slipped off her precarious perch on the branch of the tree. Letting out a yell of surprise she fell through the air for a few moments before landing on the newcomer.

"Ooooh, bugger..." he groaned.

After peeling her face off the ground she grabbed her bag that was lying beside her, then sat up and looked down. Her gaze was met by a baffled and somewhat annoyed man, looking wet and dishevelled. "Whoops!" she muttered, swinging her legs off his chest and then scrambling to her feet.

Glancing down at the pile of scattered matches and tobacco at her feet, then at the guy still lying on the ground, she raised an eyebrow and grinned, "Not much of a smoker, huh?"

Holding out a hand, she attempted to heave the man to his feet and gave him a quick glance over, raising her eyebrow again with a small smirk. Then, noticing the open door and figures in the shack, she strolled off at a hasty pace. "Come on then!" she yelled behind her, pulling her robes and blanket further around herself, "The more the merrier!"

"Oats For World Peace!"

Pics from Madagascar: One, Two, Three..., Four!

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 11:00 pm
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Davor looked at his tabacco and matches in the snow and then at the girl hopping towards the shack. And back to his tabacco. See? Always happening to me. Why do I even bother standing up? He picked up his tabacco and stood up to wipe the snow off his armor. He looked towards the happy girl who had almost reached the little shack. How can she be so happy? She's nice, though. But not like it matters. Nobody likes me, anyway.

As he followed her, he suddenly heard a crack beneath him, and he floated in the air for a split second, and then he went down. Fast. He crashed into crates and felt glass splinter around him, and tiny fragments cutting into his cheeks and hands. Also there suddenly was an overwhelming smell of old grapes. He looked around him, and waited for his vision to grow accustomed of the darkness...

After a few minutes he gave up and decided to get to his feet. See? More bad luck. How typical...

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 11:26 pm
The Red Fox

There was a damp crack, as if rotten timbers had given way. The hapless, happiness-challenged, town guard disappeared into the frozen earth. Then before the young woman's very eyes, the ground was remade, as if a liquid reality had recovered its form with narry more than a wobble to give a sign of his passing.

Inside the house there was a faint crash from below their feet. Ald froze listening, tensing like a wild animal almost, as he tried to place the elusive sound. There were a few more subtle noises, but he could not make out anything tangible. For the second he remained quiet wondering what to do.

Profile Quote
satch
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 11:37 pm

As she reached the door to the shack, she heard a loud crack behind her. She span around to ask what was going on, and blinked. He had vanished.

Hearing footsteps behind her, she turned to see three people. A young woman and a man were hovering behind an infuriated looking blonde girl, who was standing with her hands on her hips, glaring.

"What the hell is going on now!?" she seethed.

"Well," Aeisha frowned, "I was just taking a nap up a tree and then this guy stopped below me and I accidentally fell on top of him and we were just walking here but he was walking behind me and all of a sudden he just disappeared!"

She paused, watching the three figures in front of her try to work out what she had just said, and then wonder if she was insane.

"But no worries!" she shrugged, "I'm sure he'll turn up somewhere. These paths always seem to lead you elsewhere, I mean yesterday I was looking for a bootmaker because the heel of my boot is coming loose," she lifted her foot to give them a view of her poor battered footwear, before continuing at the same speed, "and suddenly I ended up here but I didn't want to intrude when there was no one home so that's why I ended up in the tree!" She paused again and then flashed the blonde girl a brilliant grin. "So! Why are we standing out in the cold, it's bloody freezing out here! Got any tea?" she enquired, peering past the figures into the room beyond.

"Oats For World Peace!"

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 Jan , 2006 12:45 am
wencherific

"I....We...did I just see a man fall through the ground and disappear?", Avery said, staring blankly at the doorway with a look of utter confusion, and then glancing at the newcomer. The ground behind her appeared to be quite solid.

Now that she came to think about it, the shack was quite an odd little shack, or a very large shack in actuality. It appeared to be small and run down from the outside, but after taking a better look at the inside it seemed to be quite vast with stairways leading to who knew where and alcoves scattered about. Well that can't be right. What is this place? Mysterious space that just couldn't...be, men disappearing into thin air or the ground. It had to be one or the other, though she guessed the latter more likely considering the crash she heard coming from below.

Avery looked at the new girl again and blinked her green eyes. "A man just disappeared into the ground and you're asking about tea? I'd think at least we should try to find him...though I don't know who any of you are...or who he is, for that matter, but still." She went to absent mindedly scratch her head but found the hat she had forgotten to take off in her way and then hastily pulled it off, dark hair spilling out.

None of the others had made a move to get up or do anything else. The blonde woman still looked flustered, the man thoughtful, and the girl had a hopeful look, probably still thinking about tea. Avery sighed at last and scanned the imediate room for a lantern. Typically places underneath houses or shacks or any other buildings were dark.

"Well then?", she eyed up the others. "Ald?" Perhaps a name would get more of a response. "And you can call me Avery, or Av'ry if you please. Some have mistaken me for a man by name before.", she continued on with a glum expression.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 Jan , 2006 1:53 am
The Red Fox

The noises troubled him. Something was not quite right here. His senses screamed that this was a little shack, a rough timbered building. It was little more than a shed or workshop in fact. Or was it? Peering past the smoke from the dying fire, Ald could not see much. The logs that the outspoken blonde had brought lay forgotten, scattered where they had fallen, due to their scuffle only moments ago. Ever practical, Ald thought that they should keep the fire going, and was about to collect the logs together when, the door opened. Surprised the red-haired man started to react, only to find that the blonde woman had beaten him, and the other woman to it.

It was another young woman. A small part of him grinned at the prospects, but he found he had to really concentrate in order to follow what she was saying. She seemed to speak without any spaces in her words. Then before he could work out what she had said, she was calling for a cuppa, and smiling brightly.

“Bladdy ‘ell.â€

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 12:18 am

This was getting more then absurd! People randomly walking into a place she found fair and square. She didn’t question whose it was, she found it so it was hers no since there was no apparent owner.

And ever since that man showed up- her eyes darted back to the in blue clad guy that called himself Ald- suddenly this place seemed to be swarming with strange people making even stranger things happen!

Men falling through floors, tea asking girls. Her head was spinning as she turned to the man who seem to feast his eyes upon the unaware girl still standing close to the door where she had announced her present with a cough. The girl she learned was Avery â€

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 2:50 am
The Red Fox

Ald was taken aback a little. Being that he lived with a little old lady and her colony of cats Ald didn’t have much company. This was somewhat of a new experience. He lifted a hand as if to mollify her and said in a mildly condescending tone: “Oooh, who got aaht the wrong side of bed this mornin’?â€

Profile Quote
satch
Post subject: ps. ags smellz!!1
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 11:13 pm

She followed the blonde girl over to the hearth, and waited patiently as she filled the fire with the logs they had picked up from the floor.

A loud bang from below startled the three, and they all glanced down as if expecting to see someone pop up from the floorboards.

"You reckon our blue friend found our missing companion, then?" the blonde girl asked.

They sat listening in silence for a few momenents, the crackling of the fire the only noise they could hear. A few minutes passed, and as Aeisha opened her mouth to speak, another bang sounded from under the floor on the other side of the room.

The three women stood up slowly, and crept across the room, still straining to hear any other sound. Silence dawned on the room for another few minutes, then they heard the sound of footsteps running on stairs and along a corridor.

The blonde girl strode to the doorway, looked into the corridor that the man had gone down, then turned around to face the other two looking puzzled.

"There's no one there."

"Oats For World Peace!"

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jan , 2006 3:58 pm
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Sitting in a wet pool of smelly wine, Davor was once again lost in his own deep and dark thoughts. He looked into the darkness and whispered to himself. "I'm inside me own mind." If he had a sense of humor he'd have laughed at the irony.

He slowly stood up and wiped the glass off himself and started to search the walls for a door. But in the maze of wineracks he couldn't find his way to the wall. Not in this utter darkness. Suddenly he had an idea. He took a match out of his pocket and scratched it on one of the wineracks. But due to the damp moss, the match was wet and would no longer burn. He tossed the match aside and sighed again. One more great idea down the drain... As he continued his search for walls, he suddenly heard whispers. They came from all around him. Not one to believe in ghost stories he softly spoke to whoever could be whispering. "Hello? I fell down here. Is anyone there?"

No answer.

Davor started to worry. But just as he was about to speak up again, he heard another voice cry out loud. “Hello, Hel-lo? Is there anyone down here?â€

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jan , 2006 11:41 pm
The Red Fox

Ald was more surprised than inclined to humour:

“You fell through the wine rack?! How did that happen?â€

Last edited by EdaintheRanger on Wed 18 Jan , 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 18 Jan , 2006 10:35 pm
wencherific

Avery followed behind the blonde woman. She was right...there wasn't anyone there. Not a trace, not a turned up rug. Nothing. I suppose I can add disembodied footsteps to my list of oddities about this place. She thought to herself.

Another thud came from below. "It doesn't sound like Ald is doing very well. Maybe we should go after them? I wonder what that was...", she trailed off, more talking to herself than the other two, thinking of the footsteps they heard in the hallyway. It certainly couldn't have been Ald for he had left several moments ago with plenty enough time to have made it downstairs by then.

She took down an oil lantern from the wall the wall and struck a match to light it. "Perhaps you want to stay behind and tend to the tea?", Avery asked the one who had inquired about it earlier, and then turned back towards the empty corridor.

"I'll come along.", the blonde added. Avery nodded and started down the passage way, happy for the company, even though the woman seemed to be able to switch from hostile to indifferent within seconds. She felt uneasy about wandering through this place alone.

The doorway should come fairly soon. It didn't seem like he was walking long before his footsteps became more and more faint as though he was descending to another level lower than them. Sure enough they came upon a dark opening. A cool, musty draft drifted up from below, carrying the stagnant smell of old wines. The air became staler as they started down the stairwell.

They didn't have to go very far before finding Ald sprawled out on the floor near some bottles. He either tripped or became falling down drunk in record time. The other man who was standing upright had an expression that looked as happy as that of a young boy who just saw his pet dog run over by a speeding cart and then proceeded to turn around and fall headfirst into a shallow well...without any water...and populated by a colony of rats. By the cuts on his face and hands, she assumed they had found the one who suddenly and inexplicably dropped through the ground and into the cellar.

"You look like you feel like something the cat dragged in. Maybe we should get you upstairs?", she offered, looking to the man with the dismal expression, and then lent a hand to help Ald up.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: