board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Ender's Game

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Ender's Game
Posted: Wed 18 Jan , 2006 8:22 pm

I picked up the audio book of this at the library almost at random. I was going to be driving for a few hours, and I needed something to listen to- and the book I stopped off at the library to get wasn't there so I grabbed this one. I was hooked. My husband and I commute together, and I convinced him to listen at least to the first CD, and now he's hooked too.

It's a very interesting book, and we still aren't done with it. The technicalities of internet political discussions were so much like what went on in Manwe (kinda sorta) that I got interested and looked up the publication date. It was published as a novellete in 1977, and in book form in 1985. :Q Did they have the internet idea all worked out then? They must have... but I sure hadn't seen it back then.

And then I found out they are going to make a movie of this. :( Darn it! I much prefer to see movies FIRST, then read the books. Oh, well. I'm already spoiled for the movie. Might as well read the whole series now.

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 Jan , 2006 6:58 pm
Fading Softly

Excellent book. But then I ruined it for myself by reading an article by Orson Scott Card where he sounded so annoying and patronising that he actually spoilt the book for me. (I'm usually good at separating the author from his work, so I'm not sure what happened there) :neutral:

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 7:33 pm

Well we finished Ender's Game and it was GOOD! so I went out and bought the books. I finished "Ender's Shadow" yesterday, and am on "Speaker for the Dead" now.

I see now why they are making the movie called "Ender's Game" out of both "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow". They take place during the same time. Bean's viewpoint is much more than viewing the same story from a different angle. It's very good as well. Possibly better than Ender's Game. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Jan , 2006 8:09 am
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

I like Bean's version better actually. Ender doesnt seem as smart as everyone makes him to be, only talented to the max. And Card is a crazy bastard, writing all sorts of stuff that'll leave you going :scratch: check his website to see what I mean, http://www.hatrack.com or at least thats what it used to be.
Borry

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Jan , 2006 6:43 pm

Ender is really smart! "Speaker for the Dead" shows that well enough. I just finished that one and am partway through "Xenocide". When I get done with "Children of the Mind" I'll go back and pick up Bean's story in the Shadow series.

I'm not going to the website. Melly's warning is enough for me. I don't like finding out unpleasant things about authors or actors. It ruins the story for me, so I tend to avoid things like that. For instance, as much as I like Star Trek Next Generation, I can't watch an episode without remembering a Patrick Stewart interview where he said he doesn't like science fiction. :Q

I'd rather not know things like that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Jan , 2006 10:13 pm
Insolent Pup

I read Ender's Game back in middle school. I wasn't too great a fan.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2006 2:44 pm

I really don't see it as being a kid's book, despite the ages of the characters.

I've heard that kids don't like reading stories about kids younger than they are (in general) so maybe that was part of the problem. Since Ender starts out as 6 or 7, there aren't many kids capable of reading who would be enthusiastic about reading his story, if that's true.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Mar , 2006 5:13 pm

yeah definately not a kids book, just has kid characters. What im saying 'bout Ender is that, he eventually gets smart, but it takes him awhile. They like sculpted him to be smart, seeing his bottomless pit of talent.
Borry

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Mar , 2006 7:54 pm

OG wrote:
I like Bean's version better actually. Ender doesnt seem as smart as everyone makes him to be, only talented to the max.
I see what you mean, now. Of course, Bean makes everyone look stupid compared to him! ;)

I've finished the Shadow series now, and am waiting for my *just published* paperback copy of "Shadow of the Giant" to arrive. :)

Meanwhile, I'm starting the Alvin Maker saga. :)

And I've checked out the Hatrack messageboard. It's cool that the author occasionally pops into the forums and talks to his fans. :D

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Mar , 2006 8:44 am

*is waiting on his newly bought series to arrive* I realized much to my amazement that i only had Shadow Puppets in my possesion and quickly treked to Barnes and Nobles online to remedy that :) the whole ender and shadow/bean series should arrive by friday :gleeful squeel: <--squeel?
Borry

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 1:43 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I've read almost all of Cards books, and the Ender series is definitely his best - though, like others, I do prefer the Bean one ;)

Interesting to see how they'll make this into a movie. They'll have to find a young actor who can pass for the ages covered in the book.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 4:05 pm

I saw OSC mention on his site that whoever they pick for the actor pretty much has to be an unknown now, simply for age reasons.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Jun , 2006 3:20 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I would go with that :P

We should see if we can get Rodia in this thread. I'm pretty sure she is a big fan of the Ender books.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Jun , 2006 6:37 pm

Speculation about the possibility of OSC getting a cameo role:

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/main/ultimat ... 275#000019

Orson Scott Card wrote:
I want to put on a cool costume and be the Hive Queen.
LOL! :LMAO:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ugluk
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 May , 2007 6:32 pm

I just got Ender's Game from the library yesterday. Haven't started to read it yet, but I'm hearing good things.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 May , 2007 1:18 am

I found this book (finally) around Christmas and read it in two days. I love it so much.

I can definitely sympathize with Ender because, like him, I've been set apart by adults all of my life. I hate it, and I'm glad I haven't ended up like him.

Even aside from that I feel like it was an excellent book. The characters felt well-developed (at least to me) and I really enjoyed all the twists thrown in.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Ugluk
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jun , 2007 4:27 am

I read Ender's Game and really enjoyed it. It's probably one of the most unique sci-fi stories I've ever read, really taking a logical approach to the technicalities of space warfare (including the idea of no up and down, which I came up with for a sci-fi book I was writing a couple years ago without ever knowing that Card came up with it first). Not to mention that the entire internet angle was fascinating, having been written before the internet was invented.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jun , 2007 3:11 pm

Just wait until you try Speaker for the Dead. It's even more interesting, I think.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ugluk
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Jun , 2007 4:23 am

I suppose so. The concept behind Ender's Game was what initially attracted it to me. However, the concept behind Speaker for the Dead, while interesting, doesn't really sound like the kind of book I'd be interested in. I suppose I'll read it anyway, to see what it's like.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jun , 2007 6:01 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Enders Game is fantastic, and Speaker for the Dead is, in it's own way, a little better. I'm on Xenocide at the mo.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: