board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
peeg
Post subject: The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
Posted: Wed 25 Jan , 2006 1:31 pm
You Tolkien to me?

First of all, i haven't finished this book yet, so no-one come in here and post the ending or something, cause if you do i will visit you with boils or something to that affect. ;)

Well, now that we have that out of the way....so far, i am LOVING this book. It's funny, mysterious, exciting, tragic, exotic- everything a book needs to be. I like it even more for the fact that it's set in India and spontaneous use of a language i understand (Hindi) makes it feel closer to home.

i love every other chapter where Rahel and Estha are children, and recounts of the craziness they get up to....i reckon their antics at the Airport when Sophie Mol comes has been the funniest chapter so far.

"Frightened eyes and a fountain. Sleepy eyes and a surprised puff" :damnfunny: :damnfunny: :damnfunny:

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
jeanelf
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Jan , 2006 4:42 pm

I read this book 4-5 years ago and I really loved it, too. I have a hard cover copy of it at home in my library. It did a very good job of the setting and telling the children's story(s). However, it's not all fun and games as you will see -- the ending is the best part of all (if I can put it that way) as it will really get to your heart, although it will not be what you expect.

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2006 2:29 am
You Tolkien to me?

OMG i just finished it....it was so nice!!!! Although i wish she hadn't really left the end hanging like that....i still don't fully understand what happened to Estha when he was returned? Just simply the pain of being away from Rahel? And i'm not sure i got the reference to the History House.....was it the fact that both Rahel and Estha and Ammu and Velutha were making history there?

MMmmm....you're own library, eh Jeanie? *is insanely jealous ;)*

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
jeanelf
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Feb , 2006 8:52 pm

Peeg, I've got about 250-300 books at home. I know that's quite too many, but I just can't part with most of them..... :help: I'm too emotionally involved in them..... :love: I don't know the answers to your questions without going back to look for fear of getting things wrong. I only remember the basic details and sadness of the ending and the theater, which really (IMHO), was a big cause of it all...I'm not too clear on the details anymore since it's been some years, but perhaps I should read it over again.

If you liked this book, perhaps you would like "The Death of Vishnu" which I also liked very much: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039305 ... oding=UTF8

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Apr , 2006 9:40 pm
DomiKNITrix

Hi Peeg. :) I also read the book some years ago like Jeanelf. I enjoyed the book very much and it is one of my favourites. It is, in fact, the only book I like that is set in India. I agree with what you say about the use of Hindi words, most of which I still remember too even though I never had anything to do with the language other than my father speaking it.

There was only one thing I did not quite like. I had the feeling Roy used language beautifully but not always in the best way possible. There was always something jarring in the lines. I have decided to simply attribute it to her wanting to create that effect since this is a beautiful and yet jarring story as well. (I have long forgetten what happened in the story, exactly, but I remember one of my favourite passaged being where her stretchmarks stood for each of her children. :) )

At her best, her writing reminds me of Michael Ondaatje's, my favourite writer. You might also like his work, especially Running In the Family and his latest, Anil's Ghost.

Edit: That's not right - I also like Rohinton Mistry's book A Fine Balance that is set in India. Very, very tragic and a long read, but so good.

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: