board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Anyone read this author? Questions and reviews.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Estel
Post subject: Anyone read this author? Questions and reviews.
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 5:32 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I know we have a thread about recomendations, but it often happens where you find a book you might be interested in, but want personal reccomendations from friends. I thought this would be a good place to do it :)

My question is about an author named Meindert de Jong. He's a Dutch author who immigrated to the US in 1914, and wrote the following books...

Shadrach

Hurry Home Candy

The Wheel on the School

The House of Sixty Fathers

Along Came A Dog

Journey from Peppermint Street

Every single one of those books won either the Newbery Medal, Newbery Honor or the National Book Award. That should be enough for me to buy them, but I can't find any other information about them.

Has anyone read any of these books?

What did you think of them?

Last edited by Estel on Sat 03 Jun , 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Jun , 2006 2:19 pm

Great idea! :)

There is one series I've been wondering about myself: 'Crown of Stars' by Kate Elliot.

I've read rather good reviews about it thus far, and crave to set my teeth in a new set of books, but I'd rather have reviews from trusted ones before I really bite. ;)

Be like a duck, my mother used to tell me. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Jun , 2006 3:05 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

That sounds really really familiar Kaya - I believe I may have read that author, though perhaps not that book. I'm going to the book store today - I'll find it and see if it's one that I've read :)

I read about 8 - 10 books a weeks, so I don't immediately remember which ones I've read :oops:

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Jun , 2006 3:15 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Ok, I just looked it up on Amazon.com and realize now how I know this author.

Kate Elliot wrote a book called The Golden Key with Malanie Rawn and Jennifer Roberson. It was a very very good book. I haven't read the books you're asking about, however, after realizing who the author is, and being in need of new books, I think I'll pick up the "Crown of Stars" series. :blackeye:

Want me to tell you what I think after I read the first book or two in the series?

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Jun , 2006 3:40 pm

Oh yes please! :D

Be like a duck, my mother used to tell me. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath.

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 3:35 am
You Tolkien to me?

Good thread, Estel.

Lesse....well, i've been wanting to read Joseph Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' if i can find it anywhere, cause i heard it's good, but has anyone here read it who can give me an opinion? Cause some people say it's a real bore too, so i'm confused.

Will think of some more books i want recommended in good time ;)

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 2:50 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Kaya

Well, I read the first two books in the series, and definitely enjoyed them. There are times when Elliot gets a bit over-descriptive and adds stuff in that has nothing to do with the plot, but it doesn't happen too often. I quit reading most fantasy this past year, because I thought I had read most of the good authors. These books proved me wrong, however. Fairly typical fantasy, but extremely well written, and she really gets to you honestly care about the characters.

I would say, read it. I know I'm planning on getting the rest of the books in the series as soon as I can :)

peeg

I haven't read "Heart of Darkness" for that same reason - people saying it's boring. Can't say that I'm going to read it either. After reading the description of the book, and hearing what some people have to say about it, I'm just not interested. Sorry darlin :blackeye: :hug:

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 4:28 am
Let the dice fly.

Heart of Darkness is all right in that it's mercifully short. Still, I don't think I'd have read it if I hadn't had to (twice!) for classes. But if you want to read it, I honestly do think the boredom factor is somewhat overplayed. It isn't that bad.

(And if you think it is, just skip the middle...the end is the good part anyhow. That's pretty much what I did. :LMAO: )

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2006 11:37 am

Thank you Estel! Sounds pretty much to what I like in a book, so I will try to get my hands on them asap. Hope you enjoy the rest as much. :)

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Jun , 2006 5:09 pm
Sorcery in Action

Peeg, despite the fact that Joseph Conrad was Polish and I wanted to like the book since a countryman wrote it :P... I HATED IT.

Its short, thats the one good bit about it, like El said :P... The story is depressing, and dreary, and tedious, and a dark, stifling read. I enjoy some good emotional masochisim in literature but this didn't appeal that way. It was just dark, boring and stifiling in a bad way. I know this is what he went for, given the themes and the setting... but, er... really not my kind of thing.

Won't waste a lot of your time though because its short :P Given that its short, it still felt torturous to read, for me :P

The imperialism/colonialism commentary is interesting and powerful in the book, I guess thats the only good/interesting thing about it in my eyes if you enjoy the historical stuff on that period...

A thumbs down from my point of view, sorry :P.

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: