board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Harry Potter, book 7 (you better believe spoilers)

Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 127 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
halplm
Post subject: Harry Potter, book 7 (you better believe spoilers)
Posted: Mon 26 Jun , 2006 7:45 pm
b77 whipping boy

ok, so if you've seen the news today, JKR has said that two characters will die that she hadn't planned on, and one will live that she HAD planned on dying...

She also states that she never had any intention of killing of Harry "before the end of book seven" but she also "understood" why an author would want to do that.

very interesting...

feel free to speculate with me.

First of all, I would guess that the character that lives is someone readers have grown close to, such that she decided to let them live... I'd suspect this could have been ron, hermione, ginny, Tonks or Lupin. I suppose it's possible it's Dumbledore as well, but I'm still thinking he's dead.

As for the two characters that weren't going to die, but now do... I would guess it's a related pair... three of which present themselves... the Weasley parents, Tonks and Lupin, or the Weasley Twins...

The news is reporting that "two characters die in book 7" which I think is silly. I expect the count to be much higher. All JKR said was that 2 died she wasn't planning on until now.

As for the "not killign harry until the end of book 7..." she also reiterated the statement that the last chapter has been written for a long time (although she says it's tweaked). To me this makes it obvious that the last chapter is kind of an "epilogue" chapter, detailing the lives of the characters after all is said and done.

Almost certainly Harry would die at the end of this chapter, if it were to completely sumarize the rest of his life. Then, we'd get the whole story, and JKR could avoid the worry of having someone else write a "sequel."

Assuming, of course, he survives his duel with voldemort ;)

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Jun , 2006 7:55 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Since when has death not stopped a sequel?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Jun , 2006 11:08 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

If there is a sequel, it's not going to be JKR writing it. ;)

I'm predicting that one of the deaths will be Snape, and he'll die defending Harry. I still can't bring myself to believe that he's truly evil. I think that Dumbledore knew that since Voldemort had ordered Malfoy to kill him, one of two things would happen: Malfoy would succeed and lose his innocence, so to speak, or Malfoy would fail (much more likely) and have to answer to Voldemort. Dumbledore knew that his time was through anyway, and he'd never want one of his students guilty of murder, nor would he want Voldemort to punish Malfoy for failing to kill him. So to bypass this, he had Snape kill him before Malfoy could get there. Snape was the only one Dumbledore knew that was loyal enough to obey him by killing him. That's why Snape never killed Harry, even after Snape killed Dumbledore and he had at least a hundred chances to zing Harry with Avada Kedavra, as Harry was far too enraged at the time to ward off any powerful curses. That's also why Snape was so infuriated when Harry called him a coward; Snape had just proved more bravery and loyalty in one spell than Harry had in his entire life.

That's just a whacked-out theory though.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Jun , 2006 11:12 pm

A very good one, me thinks.

---

I have a strong feeling that I'll be crying my whole way through book 7, perhaps except for the first two pages... :neutral:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Jun , 2006 12:26 am
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Or it COULD be in the first few pages, thatd be magnificent of JKR, really bring the point home so you cant forget that the whole world is insanely fucked up.

JKR said in some interview I read, that she'd see how killing off Harry could be useful, especially in killing off the merchandise francise with him.

And where are all the crazy predictions at?
Neville will die and....Filch!
and...Luna will be the one to live that had been counted as an x.
:P
Borry

Profile Quote
None_Elf_Ear
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Jul , 2006 10:00 pm
HM Indefatigable

I wish to believe that Severus will live, though planned to die.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Jul , 2006 9:35 pm
Fading Softly

Neville and Snape will die...Ron was planned to die but will live.

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 09 Jul , 2006 4:31 am
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Neville die? If anything I could see him being the one that was supposed to die but gets a call from governor Rowling.
Borry

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 31 Dec , 2006 5:50 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Thought this should be bounced as we now have a title, 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows'

Interstingly, Muggelnet is listing all the other translations or titles registered and the most common one appeares to be or involve 'The Deathly saints/Spirits of Death etc'.

Anybody lese tired old HP synapse chain gettting twitchhy over these?

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
ccmsOrlilvr
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Mar , 2007 12:43 am
I didn't mean to hit the ditch

Alright, here's my guess:

Snape was originally planned to die. Hagrid will die too, along with either Malfoy Jr. or Sr., and Voldemort hopefully. As far as Voldemort's "death," though... I'm not sure what I expect. Since he's not fully human, can he die in a fully human way? I'm not sure if we should be expecting some sort of strange passing on for him. Whatever happens I don't think it can be "normal" -- the death of Voldemort (considering it happens) is the moment the whole series has been leading up, isn't it? Which I think means it's going to be something crazy unordinary.

Well if you had run a little faster we wouldn't have been arrested.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 6:47 pm

Harry will turn to the dark side and kill Voldemort because there's only room enough in the world for one dark lord. Harry will then turn and kill Ron and Hermione, but his avada kadavra will backfire as he tries to kill their kid. The kid will live and be raised by Hermione's sister. 11 years later a new series as the kid battles a newly risen Harry Potter.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 6:51 pm

Voldemort can only die once each horcrux is destroyed. Once they're gone he's as mortal as the rest of us and can die easily and normally.

Locket - missing, stolen by RAB (Sirius' brother???)
Ring - destroyed by Dumbledore
Book - destroyed by Potter
Snake - still living
Cup - unknown, probably still exists
One more - might not even exist, possibly a relic of Ravenclaw or Griffindor

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue 17 Jul , 2007 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 6:54 pm
of Vinyamar

Or possibly a certain boy with a scar on his head who has an inexplicable link to the mind of the Dark Lord?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 7:16 pm

No, Harry's not a Horcrux. To create one is a deliberate act, and it was supposed to be Harry's death that lead to the creation of the final one. Instead it was the death of a muggle gardner.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 8:16 pm
Daydream Believer

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Instead it was the death of a muggle gardner.
Sam never gets no love. :(

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 9:48 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
Ring - destroyed by Voldemort
By Tom? Really? As in the guy who created it? Must check up on that...
Ara-anna wrote:
Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Instead it was the death of a muggle gardner.
Sam never gets no love. :(
Sam isn't a muggle. He's a hobbit, and hobbits have some small power of their very own, like being very very quite in the presence of people who they don't want to alert to their presence.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 2:47 pm

elfshadow wrote:
I'm predicting that one of the deaths will be Snape, and he'll die defending Harry. I still can't bring myself to believe that he's truly evil. I think that Dumbledore knew that since Voldemort had ordered Malfoy to kill him, one of two things would happen: Malfoy would succeed and lose his innocence, so to speak, or Malfoy would fail (much more likely) and have to answer to Voldemort. Dumbledore knew that his time was through anyway, and he'd never want one of his students guilty of murder, nor would he want Voldemort to punish Malfoy for failing to kill him. So to bypass this, he had Snape kill him before Malfoy could get there. Snape was the only one Dumbledore knew that was loyal enough to obey him by killing him. That's why Snape never killed Harry, even after Snape killed Dumbledore and he had at least a hundred chances to zing Harry with Avada Kedavra, as Harry was far too enraged at the time to ward off any powerful curses. That's also why Snape was so infuriated when Harry called him a coward; Snape had just proved more bravery and loyalty in one spell than Harry had in his entire life.
The only problem with that theory is that Voldemort himself doesn't want his Death Eaters to kill Harry because that privilige is reserved for Voldemort himself.

After Harry becomes the new Dark Lord, after Harry kills Voldemort, before Harry destroys himself trying to kill the offspring of Ron and Hermione, Harry will kill Snape out of spite, simply because he's wanted to for years.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 4:27 pm
You are hearing me talk

There are (unconfirmed) reports that the entire book has been leaked online :Q. Of course, at this juncture it will be pretty much impossible to tell real from fake (and I won't be looking anyway).

One mini not-really-a-spoiler: the guy whose voice they used for the books-on-tape recording says it has a surprise ending.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 5:05 pm
of Vinyamar

I've seen one of the supposed leaks. Its another obvious fake.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 6:28 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

If it's funny, post a link please, so we can have a laugh. :)

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 127 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jump to: