board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Harry Potter, book 7 (you better believe spoilers)

Post Reply   Page 5 of 7  [ 127 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 22 Jul , 2007 6:30 am
citoyenne du monde

I've just finished the book. I was really good because I did not read it at once. I started last night and read a bit of it this aft. I finished it while my bf was working on piccies...

It was great; I think to me it comes Nr3 even if I must say I wished Harry not to survive in a way... He being a horcrux (something we've known a long while)
Nienor SharkAttack wrote:
About Lupin and Tonks... Their deaths didn't make the impression on me that they ought to have. And I really liked Lupin! I think Rowling should have shown us what happened to them, giving them death scenes they deserved. Instead, we just saw them dead afterwards, which didn't... feel very personal.

Felt very sorry for their kid, though. :(
I totally agree with that, especially since Harry is to be their son's godfather. And also because they are such great wizard at fighting Dark Arts; I mean she's an Auror and we all got to love Remus... He was meant to die to me because he would remain the last of the three. To me Harry's last link to his parents had to die for him to face death calmly. Not sure you see what I mean.
But poor Andromeda lost both her husband and daughter in that war; another boy to be raised by his grand-mother in a way.

It sort of felt logical that Fred would die the moment George got his ear cut. I knew one of them would die and it had to be the one who would not be hurt in the first place. Yet the way he died did come as a shock. Not as much as Dobby's death though; I really was taken aback.

However, I am SO glad that it is Molly who got to kill Bellatrix. I loved the 'NOT MY DAUGHTER BITCH' (no yelling at anyone, just quoting.

On the epilogue it took me close to a minute though to figure out that Ted Tonks-Lupin was 'snogging' Bill and Fleur's daughter :lol:. And I am French so Victoire should have clicked right away. But it is only when I closed the book that it made sense.

I liked the moments of laugh Rowling managed to get in; I loved the idea of Neville's grandmother on the run.

There were two things that were frustrating; Umbridge... I can't explain why but the scene with her got me frustrated and the fact that Hagrid won't die. As much as I like the character so much happened to him he doesn't want to die. Guess it is the half giant thing but still.

Oh well it is 2:30am I think I should head to bed ;)...
But on the whole I'd place the book nr3 in the series after GoF (who is and will remain my favourite), and PoA.

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 22 Jul , 2007 9:00 am
bioalchemist

Well, I read it. All in one go. I knew from past experience it would be that way, so this time I did myself the favor of cleaning the house and eating dinner before opening my package from Amazon.

I chewed my nails off the first few chapters, anxious Harry and his decoys slowly trickled in. It was excruciating.

I'm glad Mrs. Weasley got to kick some ass. I've long been under the impression that she was quite powerful, and now we know.

When Harry combs through Snape's memories, I cried. I had a feeling that Snape had been on Harry's side the whole time - it seemed to simple for Rowling to make him an all-out baddy. I also cried when Lupin appeared to Harry out of the Resurrection Stone. No, it's not as close and personal as the deaths of, say, Sirius or Dumbledore, but the remoteness was what hit so hard. It was battle. Chaos and confusion. A nasty surprise for Harry. The scene where Neville and Oliver Wood and Ginny are identifying bodies and picking up the wounded was also a kick to the stomach, as was the way we found out Tonks was dead. The way it was presented seemed realistic - so many people, so much chaos, so many injured, so many killed, you don't know what happened until it's all over and there's time to sort it out, take attendance and see who's not answering. I was left feeling sort of mixed about the wizard world. On one hand, Voldemort is gone and this time he is NOT coming back. On the other, what a mess...so many people lost, the Ministry in disarray, not to mention poor Hogwarts. It costs a lot, destroying a Dark Lord.

ETA: my boss read the online leak earlier this week, and has spent the last three or four days using the threat of filthy rotten spoilers to discipline the lab. I am not kidding. I countered by asking if he knew it was the real thing. He was pretty sure it was, and today announced that he had, in fact, read the real leak (probably because his copy from Amazon arrived in the mail today). I admit I was tempted to look for the leak, but there's something so nice and comfortable about reading a real book, with a dust jacket and that new book smell, all curled up on a couch in my jammies. I didn't want to deprive myself of that.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 22 Jul , 2007 11:14 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
On the epilogue it took me close to a minute though to figure out that Ted Tonks-Lupin was 'snogging' Bill and Fleur's daughter Laughing
I didn't get it until two hours later... :Q

It only occured to me yesterday morning (around the same time as Victoire, my, a shower is great for the brain) that not one of the Hogwarts teachers/headmasters has ever, as far as we know, been married, or even had a partner. (apart from Hagrid, but that never really went anywhere, did it)

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 22 Jul , 2007 6:56 pm
Unlabeled

Nienor SharkAttack wrote:
About Lupin and Tonks... Their deaths didn't make the impression on me that they ought to have. And I really liked Lupin! I think Rowling should have shown us what happened to them, giving them death scenes they deserved. Instead, we just saw them dead afterwards, which didn't... feel very personal.
I agree. Contrasted to Sirius' death, which was so very poignant, Lupin - the last of the four! - deserved better. Tonks wasn't as major a character, and I wasn't as concerned...but still. I agree.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 22 Jul , 2007 9:03 pm

Ah, but in war, like that, there isn't time for reflection. They were still hunting Tom at that stage. It wasn't all over. The last chapters focused on Harry v Tom, and his focus was finding and destroying Tom. He didn't have time for Lupin. I think that was the point being made.

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 22 Jul , 2007 9:39 pm
citoyenne du monde

Crucifer wrote:
Ah, but in war, like that, there isn't time for reflection. They were still hunting Tom at that stage. It wasn't all over. The last chapters focused on Harry v Tom, and his focus was finding and destroying Tom. He didn't have time for Lupin. I think that was the point being made.
I guess it was also the fact that in war there is chaos and there are victims. It sort of reminded me of Master and Commander and the very young lieutenant whom we do not see dying. We just are faced with the fact that it happened.

To me the fact that Tonks, Remus AND Colin Creevey (although there is a paradox there since the Creeveys are Muggle-born they should not have been at Hogwarts for that particular year anyway) whereas McGonagall, Sprout and Hagrid (the old guard in a way) survive is also a message that in war the youngest can be the first to depart leaving the old generation to grieve them and continue on without their children.

Not sure that makes sense, but now I think of it, it is alright that we don't SEE them die.

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 22 Jul , 2007 10:52 pm
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

I finished it last night. I really enjoyed it.

Everyone else has touched on the stuff I thought so I guess there isn't much for me to add to it.

I did get confused a few times and had to reread pages. I even reread the last chapter and epilogue today and it made more sense the second time through.. But then after reading all day I was bound to be tired and not concentrating as much at the end :P

On spoilers, I went to the bookstore at midnight to get my copy and there was a guy near me in line that was wearing shooters ear protection all night so he wouldn't over hear anything.

Now HE looked funny. :devil:

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jul , 2007 9:18 am
Milk and kisses

I went to the midnight opening at my local bookshop at around 11:30, expecting to see maybe 20 other weirdos. There were well over 200 people waiting in line, many of them dressed up as witches and wizards, and a lot of children with a Christmassy look of excitement. :) It took me 1h to get to the front of the queue, but because I hadn't pre-booked, I went to the smaller place next door (no queues) to get my copy while my friend collected his pre-booked copy.

I managed a couple of chapters before falling asleep, and then the next morning almost the first thing I read was about Hedwig. :bawl:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jul , 2007 9:18 am
Milk and kisses

(sorry about split posts - laptop can't manage larger postings)

My first impression was that the "Harry, Ron and Hermione wander around not doing very much" part was a bit overlong. Now I guess all those months had to pass in order for Tonks and Lupin to have offspring... it wouldn't have been ok if little Teddy had been born out of wedlock... ;)

Some things also fell in place a little too neatly, I felt, but then I like having loose threads all tied up. On the whole it felt satisfying, if bittersweet, but I had been steeling myself for Harry dying, so I was very glad about the happy(ish) ending. I like happy endings. :D

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jul , 2007 12:08 pm
Just keep singin'!

Berhael wrote:
I had been steeling myself for Harry dying, so I was very glad about the happy(ish) ending. I like happy endings. :D
I like happy endings, too...but for a while there, I was SURE Harry was going to buy the farm. I have to say that I loved the scene with Harry and Dumbledore at "King's Cross." And Dumbledore's line - "Just because it was all in your head, why would that mean it wasn't real?" was perfect!

A great ride!

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jul , 2007 4:24 pm

I love books with Kings Cross moment, or similar. They really cheer me up.

It's like the end of the little prince, where the prince has to be bitten by a venomous snake, so he can get back to his star and mind his flower. It's just beautiful.

The quote is "I have to die to go home." It really sums up death.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jul , 2007 9:50 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

jewelsong wrote:
I like happy endings, too...but for a while there, I was SURE Harry was going to buy the farm.
Me too!!! I was sobbing by that part, because I couldn't believe that JKR was actually going to kill off Harry. It was SO hard for me to keep reading because I was terrified that Harry wasn't going to come back. And then I started crying again from happiness when he did come back. :)

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jul , 2007 10:47 pm

I cried pretty non stop from when Harry went back to Hogwarts on. tears of joy, sadness, they're all there.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 Jul , 2007 12:27 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

This to no one in particular (perhaps hal as he sees me all the time) but....a big fat I TOLD YOU SO about Snape and about Harry be a Horcrux! Wheeeeeeee!!! But nooooo Snape had to be bad and Harry being a Horcurx wouldn't make sense and it would be stupid. Oh ho! I think not.

I cried at least five times while reading the book and there are still some parts that have me a little confunded. The whole Elder Wand hand off transfer thing when the real owner was revield to be Malfoy and then Harry has me a bit confused. I shall just have to read it over again. *le sigh* And horray for Ron and Hermione!!! :love: And *tear* for sweet sweet Albus Severus being afraid to be put in Slytherin, bless his little heart.

I know my thoughts are not in order but I just finised the book hours ago so I'm still digesting and all that.

Oh and a big fat BOOYA to Molly Weasley for kicking Bellatrix LeStranges ass!!!! W00T!

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 Jul , 2007 4:12 am
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

:P:P

yea the whole Elder wand hand off thing confused me too. I've read it twice now.. I am still confused..

But then, I am a dwarf so it is expected.

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 Jul , 2007 4:33 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

I wasn't expecting to see you in Literary Rambles.......but Harry Potter....that explains it. :P:P:P:P :Wooper:

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 Jul , 2007 9:35 pm
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Course, spoilers

What an awesome book, really great. Molly was a huge suprise, and I still sort of wish Neville had done in Bellatrix. Remus and Tonks was ridiculously sad, as was Dobby. I dont think anyone really could have predicted Dobby. Im still taking it in...Ill probably write more some other time..

Borry

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 Jul , 2007 3:37 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

My three favourite ever characters in Harry Potter:

1. Sirius
2. Lupin
3. Tonks

:bawl:

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 Jul , 2007 3:57 pm

Love hurts. :hug:

;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 Jul , 2007 5:18 pm

Quote:
But then, I am a dwarf so it is expected.
It all (Wait for it) goes over your head, eh?

:blackeye:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 7  [ 127 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Jump to: