board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Light Summer / Vacation Reading

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
crystal_seed
Post subject: Light Summer / Vacation Reading
Posted: Sat 12 Aug , 2006 2:54 pm

I enjoy reading and like breaking out of my typical 'espionage, mystery-thriller' books to read books of different genera. What books have you read in the past or recently, atypical of what you usually read, and would recommend. Please give title, author and a bit of a description.

Here is one I picked up at the beginning of the summer. If you happen to read it, let me know what you thought of it. I enjoyed it ;)

One Big Damn Puzzler- John Harding

I must admit this funny little (540 pg) book attracted my attention with its Schereschnitt cover design. That's what made me pull it off the bookstore shelf (besides, black and white kinda sticks out in between all sorts of colorful cover bindings). I was looking for an English book. And it looked like it could be funny... some light reading. The back cover had this to say-

"On a remote South Pacific island, the struggles of an elderly tribesman to translate Hamlet into local pidgin English are interrupted by the arrival of an unexpected visitor. William Hardt is an obsessive young American lawyer who has come to help. From that moment on, nothing will ever be the same- for what (and who) William finds on the island will challenge both his and our notions about love, life and even death."

Okay- so it sounded like it could be interesting- especially since the title was taken from the line of Hamlet translated 'Is be, or is be not, is be one big damn puzzler:' I found it humorous, creative, moving, and probably worth a second read if I want to figure out all the Shakesperean inferences in the plot. I was too involved in the storyline to pull many out the first time round.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Aug , 2006 8:38 pm

Sounds interesting...I'll have to see if I can find it.

I don't do "light" reading...I read. So, I don't really think I have any suggestions, considering that most of my books are 600 pages long or more.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Aug , 2006 8:28 pm

Dawnnamira- did you ever find the book?

Do tell what books you've found interesting- I have to go shopping sooner or later to pick up a few more. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Aug , 2006 9:53 pm

Ahh! I knew I was forgetting a book I really wanted to find when I went to B&N last week. Bugger.

It'll be at least 2 months before I get back to a decent bookstore, so we'll see...........

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Aug , 2006 10:19 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

For some really light reading anything by Sophie Kinsella is really good. I'm talking a one day read, but they are funny and cute. She has a Shopaholic series that feature Becky Bloomwood and a couple non-Shopaholic books.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away