board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Clive Cussler

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
TWT
Post subject: Clive Cussler
Posted: Sat 13 Jan , 2007 6:27 pm
Wembley bound

I rememebr talking to some people here about Cussler a while back. I found the thread (click) but it was in movies because Sahara had just come out. So here's a Cussler book thread.

I'm just reading Deep Six. It's good so far. It has been such a long time since I've read a Cussler book that I'm really into this one.

Anyone else reading Cussler out there?

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Jan , 2007 10:02 pm
Triathlete

I have in the past. I haven't read any of his newer books in the past 10 years. He was a good adventure writer but it irked me that every story had to (predictably) have a climax consisting of the helpless heroine getting almost raped. Has he gotten any better with age?

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Jan , 2007 3:46 pm

Some of the later one's I've read, the author himself appears in the story as a character. :roll: Kinda silly, I think.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Jan , 2007 12:53 am
Wembley bound

I love that ploy. Cussler has a few cameos in the books and every time Pitt comes in contact with him he leaves thinking, I know that person but can't put a finger on it. :D

Finished Deep Six last night. It was pretty good. And there was an almost rape, but the book was one of his old ones. I don't rememeber that happening in any others though. His newer books are OK. I stick to the Dirk Pitt stories though. I'll have none of this Kurt Ausin business...

I'm reading The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason right now. About a quarter done and it's really good!

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Jan , 2007 1:32 am

Oh! I have The Rule of Four somewhere but haven't gotten to reading it.

Tell me what you think when you finish it, ok?

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 17 Jan , 2007 1:22 pm
Tricksy Elf!

MariaHobbit wrote:
Some of the later one's I've read, the author himself appears in the story as a character. :roll: Kinda silly, I think.
With you on that, how disgustingly egotistical :LMAO:

Most writers use themselves, family, friends, people they meet on the tube etc anyway, but most use themselves...or the themselves they would want to be. To use yourself, in a work of fiction just destracts. You can't make the distinction between the plot world and the real world, and neither can the reader. So it drags you out of the plot, and for what? An ego trip.

Not that I am saying in the world of sophisticated readers that such a little twinge would mean they put the book down forever, but it is a dreadful destraction for the reader.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 17 Jan , 2007 4:56 pm
Wembley bound

Bollocks! I haven't found anything more delightful and interesting in his books than an apeparence by "Clive Cussler". I always look forward to a cameo by the mysterious charachter, though usually he doesn't appear, he's only in a few books after all.

Stephen King makes appearences in his books and he's far from egotistical and whatever else you mentioned. In fact he's the world's bestselling author. It's something a lot of authors do. It's not like they make their characters out to be brilliant or anything. Was Hitchcock full of himself and egotistical to make cameos in all his films?

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Jan , 2007 12:32 pm
Tricksy Elf!

TWT wrote:
Bollocks! I haven't found anything more delightful and interesting in his books than an apeparence by "Clive Cussler".
I am sure that is true, but that is more an issue with the author and quality of his work than his resorting to cheap tricks.
Quote:
Stephen King makes appearences in his books and he's far from egotistical and whatever else you mentioned. In fact he's the world's bestselling author. It's something a lot of authors do. It's not like they make their characters out to be brilliant or anything.
He's not? :LMAO: He may be a best selling author, but that really does not say he is good quality, just that he sells a lot of books. Dan Brown is currently the worlds best selling author, but what he rights is contrived trite. They appeal to a reader type, like most best sellers. Does not make them quality. Seriously, read anything by Charles Dickens if you want to know how utter drivel becomes classics.
Quote:
Was Hitchcock full of himself and egotistical to make cameos in all his films?
Yes, totally. And he knew it.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Jan , 2007 7:22 pm
Wembley bound

Dindraug wrote:
Quote:
Stephen King makes appearences in his books and he's far from egotistical and whatever else you mentioned. In fact he's the world's bestselling author. It's something a lot of authors do. It's not like they make their characters out to be brilliant or anything.
He's not? :LMAO: He may be a best selling author, but that really does not say he is good quality, just that he sells a lot of books. Dan Brown is currently the worlds best selling author, but what he rights is contrived trite. They appeal to a reader type, like most best sellers. Does not make them quality. Seriously, read anything by Charles Dickens if you want to know how utter drivel becomes classics.
Dan Brown is not the world's best selling author. Stephen King has sold more of his books than any other author alive. And yes it is good quality, I've rarely read books that are so well written. I absolutely love his work On Fiction where he writes about how he writes. Fantastic book.

Clive Cussler hardly strikes me as the egotistical type. Have you ever seen the Sea Hunters show? He comes across as a man completely indulged in and in love with his work, not himself.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: