It is currently Tue 22 May , 2018 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar , 2007 4:42 pm 
Milk and kisses

"Unfinished Tolkien to be released in April"

:Q

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6494985.stm

Quote:
An unfinished book by JRR Tolkien will be published in April after being completed by the late author's son.

Christopher Tolkien has spent 30 years working on The Children of Hurin, which The Lord of the Rings author started in 1918 and later abandoned.

Extracts from the novel, which is set before the events of the Rings trilogy, have been published before.

It has been illustrated by Alan Lee, who won an Oscar for his artwork on The Return Of The King film in 2004.

It is not the first time Christopher Tolkien has completed one of his father's projects.

He compiled various drafts to produce The Silmarillion in 1977, four years after JRR Tolkien died, aged 81.

The book was followed by Unfinished Tales in 1980 and the 12-volume History Of Middle Earth, which was published between 1983 and 1996.

'No film plans'

The latter contains several fragments of the story of The Children Of Hurin, but the new book is the first time JRR Tolkien's multiple variants, unfinished pieces, and outlines have been condensed into a complete text.

It will be published on 17 April in the UK, US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy has sold more than 50 million copies and was adapted into three hugely successful films.

But director Peter Jackson has been ruled out of making a film of Tokien's other classic, The Hobbit.

Jackson is locked in a legal battle with film company New Line over money from The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Tolkien's estate says it has "no plans for the foreseeable future" regarding a film of The Children of Hurin.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr , 2007 1:22 pm 

Ah... Received it in the mail today. Haven't had time to read it yet (duh - I got it ten minutes ago), but I've looked at Alan Lee's wonderful illustrations and am very exciting to see how much of the material is new and how much is what we know from Sil/UT. The only thing that bothers me, is that Nienor is suddenly written Niënor. It's Nienor in both Sil and the UT, and I don't like that ë. But that's just me, I suppose. :blackeye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr , 2007 1:26 pm 
Aspiring to heresy

I've been eagerly waiting for this. Please post your opinions as soon as you can - don't wait until you've finished the whole thing! I have loads of questions, such as: Is it genuine Tolkien? Is it just an expansion of the Unfinished Tales version?

Nienor SharkAttack wrote:
The only thing that bothers me, is that Nienor is suddenly written Niënor. It's Nienor in both Sil and the UT, and I don't like that ë. But that's just me, I suppose. :blackeye:

Wanna change your username? :D

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr , 2007 1:55 pm 

NEVAH!

:D

Besides, as I said, it's Nienor in Sil and UT, but Niënor in TCOH. That's two against one, and I trust my old sources. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr , 2007 4:10 pm 
Aspiring to heresy

Ñïëñöŕ Å häŕķÄŧŧäčķ wrote:
NEVAH!

:D

Besides, as I said, it's Nienor in Sil and UT, but Niënor in TCOH. That's two against one, and I trust my old sources. ;)

Okay, we'll leave it as it is then. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr , 2007 6:26 pm 
Aspiring to heresy

I found another BBC article:

'New' Tolkien novel goes on sale

And, even though it's not strictly on-topic, I found this quote from the article interesting, considering some of the shenanigans that have been going on:

Quote:
"Everyone talks about the brand , the franchise and the films. People obviously forget there's a man behind it, that he wrote it for his reasons and the books are wonderful," he added.

"I'm certainly not unhappy about the success they've had, but it's a shame that it should become a brand. It's a work of art."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr , 2007 5:48 pm 
Wembley bound

Well the intro wasn't that interesting. Quite dry. Looking forward to reading the whole thing! Just got it yesterday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr , 2007 10:07 pm 
Daydream Believer

Mine came in the mail over the weekend, and the intro is rather quite dry as TWT said. The art work is typical Lee stuff (ok I am not a huge fan of his work, too sepia and muted for my taste, and yes I know my avatar is a sepia), but the art fits the book here. I do like a few drawings in it so its cool to have it. Plus its the first Harper-Collins Tolkien first edition that I have ever bought at the same time it came out, not years later on ebay or at a used book store.

The story thus far seems pretty much the same. It reminded me of just how much I hate Maeglin (creapy bastard he is). I am no where near done with it yet, plan on spending a bit of time each evening reading it, not a rush read by any means.

Ok I can't spell either.. damn it.

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr , 2007 8:18 pm 
Another bright red day

I just got my copy in the mail and I have to dash off to a meeting, but my only comment so far would have to be SO PRETTY. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr , 2007 1:31 pm 
Aspiring to heresy

I just got my copy! :cheers: :thewave: :horse: :dance:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 13 May , 2007 6:17 pm 

*Sigh* It'll be a long time before I have time to read this book... Exams coming up... Norwegian literature...

*Murders Ibsen, Bjørnson, Kielland and Lie*

Jude: Your sig! :damnfunny::love:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun , 2007 4:31 am 

Got my copy and read it and really enjoyed it. I couldn't even recall the story very well from the first time I read it, so it was mostly new. I really enjoyed Alan Lee's drawings, (I've always been a big Lee fan) and now I need to scan them and put them up in some signatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun , 2007 1:55 pm 
Aspiring to heresy

While I'm enjoying the book tremendously, there are a number of passages in chapters 6 and 7 that sound very unTolkienlike, to say the least.

Did anybody else notice these?

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb , 2013 12:03 pm 

Oh, a thread on Children of Hurin! I read it a couple times, but then I'm a Turin fangirl. I actually prefer this book to the Silmarillion.

So Jude, I know its years later, but what specifically did you find in Chapters 6 and 7 that was unTolkienlike? Just curious. I did notice a couple places that seemedlike they were "patched" but nothing too bad.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb , 2013 2:13 pm 
Aspiring to heresy

Well, for example, one of the characters kept saying "I hear you" - definitely a 1990's - 2000's catch-phrase. I found it jarring every time they said that.