board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web
It is currently Tue 22 May , 2018 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Robin Hobb
PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep , 2015 5:39 pm 
You are hearing me talk

RELStuart wrote:
Anyone reading the latest trilogy with these characters? Seeing positive comments on it got me to order the first trilogy before trying the new stuff.

The Elderlings books are excellent; my favorite fantasy after Tolkien. Which trilogy do you mean when you say "latest"? There's the original 3 with Fitz (Assassin's x), the Liveship trilogy, and then the second Fitz trilogy (all have "Fool" somewhere in the title). But none of those is particularly new; I think I heard she was writing more, though, is that what you mean? If so, I'd be really curious to hear about them.

Edit: Looked it up. Yup, she is writing a new Fitz trilogy and 2/3 have been released. And there is a whole newish Rain Wilds tetralogy I wasn't even aware of. :Q I should really pay more attention. Looks like I'm going to be busy for a while.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep , 2015 4:00 am 
Legendury speller

Dave_LF wrote:
RELStuart wrote:
Anyone reading the latest trilogy with these characters? Seeing positive comments on it got me to order the first trilogy before trying the new stuff.

The Elderlings books are excellent; my favorite fantasy after Tolkien. Which trilogy do you mean when you say "latest"? There's the original 3 with Fitz (Assassin's x), the Liveship trilogy, and then the second Fitz trilogy (all have "Fool" somewhere in the title). But none of those is particularly new; I think I heard she was writing more, though, is that what you mean? If so, I'd be really curious to hear about them.

Edit: Looked it up. Yup, she is writing a new Fitz trilogy and 2/3 have been released. And there is a whole newish Rain Wilds tetralogy I wasn't even aware of. :Q I should really pay more attention. Looks like I'm going to be busy for a while.

Glad I could help enable some additional Hobb reading. :D

I really like Fitz. It doesn't sound like he or the other characters from the first trilogy are in the Liveship trilogy or the Rain Wilds tetralogy. I kind of want to skip them for now and read more following Fitz and that ensemble of characters. I've ordered Fool trilogy in HC from sellers on Amazon. I lost a good amount of sleep reading thru the first trilogy. :)

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep , 2015 7:28 pm 
of Vinyamar

If you do that you'll miss some great foreshadowing in the Liveship Trilogy. There's a reason they were written and published in that order.

PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep , 2015 3:10 am 
Legendury speller

Alatar wrote:
If you do that you'll miss some great foreshadowing in the Liveship Trilogy. There's a reason they were written and published in that order.

That is just the sort of feedback I need. Thanks!

Still, I want more Fitz! :horse:

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov , 2015 4:14 pm 
You are hearing me talk

Just wanted to drop in and say that I really like the cover art on my edition of the final installment of the Rain Wilds Chronicles:
http://www.hypercastle.com/blog/wp-cont ... image3.png

It's not the way to judge a book, but it makes a nice supplement.

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec , 2015 7:33 pm 

That's what I miss out on with audio books: no real cover art. The audible app on my phone has a tiny picture of the cover, but you can't expand it at all.