The Last Homely Site on the Web

Graphic Novels

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 32 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Alatar
Post subject: Re: Graphic Novels
Posted: Sat 06 Jun , 2009 4:08 pm
of Vinyamar

Thanks TM. I've found hardcovers of the first 12 of 18 in two Hardback volumes for about €10 each, so I'll fire off an order and check them out!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 09 Jun , 2009 10:04 pm
Insolent Pup

This isn't fantasy, but Planet Hulk was an excellent graphic novel. It isn't a traditional graphic novel, but the Planet Hulk story arc can be found together in one book. The story continues with World War Hulk, but I haven't read that yet.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Thu 25 Jun , 2009 10:50 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I call all graphically bound books "trade paperbacks" even if it's hardbound. Were graphic novels like The Watchmen and V for Vendetta never released one issue at a time before being collected in one volume?

Y the Last Man, Fables, Jack of Fables, and The Outsiders are amazing as well, although I'm behind on all of them. Y the Last Man has concluded but I haven't finished it yet and the rest are still being released as far as I know. Check 'em out. Oh and Batman: Hush is drool worthy....I could go on for days folks.

I did read the first issue of Planet Hulk and found it satisfying so I would imagine the rest was pretty good too :).

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Posted: Sun 12 Jul , 2009 12:49 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

Watchmen was indeed a 12 issue series before being compiled into a GN.

And I agree with REL about Kingdom Come. Simply brilliant. I never really understood Captain Marvel until I read that. That last sentence is so geeky that even I can't believe I typed it.

And just to osgiliate off of what Brian posted, Batman and Superman are actually complete opposites.
Superman was born the hero and aspires to be the human Clark Kent.
Bruce Wayne was born human and aspires to be the hero Batman.

Discuss.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Sun 12 Jul , 2009 2:01 pm

Wait. Did anyone mention Bone? Did no one mention Bone? :suspicious:

Bone! :love: I've just finished yet another re-reading of the complete 1300 page edition, and it still makes me roll around laughing like nothing else. But it's also a grand, mythical, epic story, quoting Wikipedia:
Quote:
Accordingly, the story is singularly characterized by an effective combination of both light-hearted comedy and dark, epic fantasy: Time Magazine has called the series "as sweeping as the Lord of the Rings cycle, but much funnier."[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_(comics)

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/ ... ls,00.html

It's absolutely brilliant in every aspect, and Jeff Smith's art is pure genius, and it really and truly is art. Amazes me every time.

No Tolkien fan should miss Bone! And that goes for you too, Jen! :poke:

Stupid, stupid rat creatures! :cheers:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Tue 14 Jul , 2009 5:27 pm

Frank Miller wrote:
Like The Lord of the Rings, Bone glides past the trends and fads of the day, its lovely sails blown full with the steady, strong winds of the Mythic, the Classic. Best yet, and doing Tolkien one better, this Jeff Smith guy can draw!
:D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Fri 28 Aug , 2009 10:01 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Bone always interested me Nienor but I haven't read it yet.

I don't agree that Bruce Wayne aspires to be a hero but he succeeds in kicking ass so that people won't suffer the way he did when he lost his parents. He's definitely human which is why he is so appealing, and Bruce Wayne has the means to let Batman be heroic, but the title hero is something the good people of Gotham have bestowed upon him and not something he thinks of himself. IMO, of course.

I do agree that Superman does strive to be human because he doesn't know what it's like not to be invulnerable with frosty breath, and laser beam eyes. So he's probably lonely in that regard which explains the constant blubbering *hands Supes a tissue*.

Lay down
Night is falling
Sleep now
They are calling

Why do you weep?
Soon you will see
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Fri 11 Sep , 2009 11:15 pm

So Rob and I are shacking in my older brothers bedroom and it's crowded with cominc book boxes which we aren't to touch (thanks jerkus) but what I did find and touched were the first 5 collections of 100 Bullets. I'm in the second volume and I'm quite pleased as I usually am with most things Vertigo. I remember selling it at the store but never picked up and issue so better late than never. The premise is that a guy named Graves serves you a case with a gun and 100 bullets along with some sort of peritinent back story with irefutable proof that so and so did X, Y, and Z and you can kill this person without repercussion. The bullets are untraceable and all susupition is nipped in the bud so you're home free.

Edited over a year later for nasty typos.

Last edited by TheMary on Tue 12 Oct , 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lay down
Night is falling
Sleep now
They are calling

Why do you weep?
Soon you will see
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Sun 02 May , 2010 3:35 am
Wembley bound

I know its not fantasy, persay, but one book that's near the top of many people's lists that I know is Batman Arkham Asylum. Brilliant. Disturbing and eerie artwork. You should pickup the edition which has the script in the back and you'll find some notes that help you decipher the meaning of some of the artwork. Its not for the queazy though, some references to canibalism and other things. Its definately adult though.

Look for anything done by the Avatar Press (nothing to do with the movie Avatar). That's where Alan Moore does quite some work now (he's the one of Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Batman, From Hell and other fame). He likes working with Avatar because he can really let loose his style and swear, use much more adult themes, etc.

I just read Courtyard by him and am looking forward to the sequel Neonomicon.

Avatar has many other series though, some Fantasy I believe. I'm also reading George R. Martin's Fevre Dream, also Avatar published. Its set in New Orleans a couple hundred years ago and has something to do with vampires...

And last but not least, Stephen King's Dark tower series is one of the greatest things I've ever read. In fact its the only thing I've ever read to rival my love for LOTR. Anyway, Marvel published Dark Tower Comics. One of the main artists Richard Isanove does a fantastic job, quite unique style. I actually was chatting with him quite a bit today down at my local comic book store. He's got my sketchbook now doing me a Wolverine painting. Really nice guy. That being said, you might want to give Stephen King's Dark Tower by Marvel graphic novels a try.

Hope that helped a bit...

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Mon 25 Oct , 2010 2:06 am
Legendury speller

I've been following the Dark Tower series Marvel series as they are released in hardback. I looked into buying the original books but was put off by my inability to find a hard cover copy of the first book at a reasonable price. Not being sure if I will like it I hesitate to spend a lot of money on it.

Surprisingly the Daredevil Omnibus that Marvel has released by Bendis and then the last two by Ed Brubaker have been very very good. Not a big Daredevil fan but the story and art have blended well. Daredevil being sent to jail with the many of the villains he is responsible for putting behind bars was pretty interesting. :)

Edit to add: I like how this thread has 29 posts and over 1900 views. :)

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Sat 16 Feb , 2013 11:24 pm

Isn't Feist's Magician part of Rift War?

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sun 17 Feb , 2013 11:23 pm
of Vinyamar

Its pretty much the first novel in that Cycle.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 32 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: