board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Winter's Cruel Embrace - more Bleach fanfic in progress.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Pippin4242
Post subject: Winter's Cruel Embrace - more Bleach fanfic in progress.
Posted: Mon 25 Jun , 2007 1:42 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I was meant to be revising last night when the scenario of this story occurred to me. I've managed nearly two chapters, but I've decided to entirely reverse the events of the second, so I won't be posting that for a while. I know pretty much where this story is going, but I don't really know more than sweet FA about Arrancar or the form that the Winter War will take. This is really a vehicle for wangst.

The title is only tentative, and this hasn't been betaed or cleaned up yet.

Chapter One
The battle, so carefully planned and strategised, had turned to ruin. Of course the officers had known it wouldn't be easy, but the scale of the carnage was appalling. To make matters worse, the heavens had opened, drenching all combatants from head to toe, and making it near impossible to tell friend from foe without reaching out to sense reiatsu. But whatever the chaos on the field might look like, the defence of Seiretei had been well thought-out by wise men, and at the edge of the sodden bloodied corpse-strewn turf was a great series of tents, where the fourth division were running at full tilt, doling out food and treating the injuries as best they could. It was here that a large man wearing a colourful women's coat could be seen, ignoring the shouts and commands of those around him, failing to be caught in the flow of bodies as a renewed assault on the Arrancar encampment was planned, for he was a self-assured man in a fight, an officer and veteran of more battles than he cared to count, and he was looking for someone.
A white coat marked out a captain, but whites were difficult to find on this dark and mud-splattered evening. He could be told by his hair, perhaps, but by the same token the man's normally distinctive long white locks would be more than usually hard to mark out. Then by his reiatsu, maybe, but he couldn't be fighting, since Kyouraku couldn't sense a trace of him. That left only the medical tents, or...
Kyouraku shouldered his way into the largest of the tents, painted with a large number four. As he had hoped, Captain Unohana was directing the seemly interminable sea of events, standing atop a box originally meant for provisions, that her diminutive form might be noticed above the heads of her troops. "Retsu," shouted Kyouraku. "Have you got a moment?"
Unohana Retsu blinked her large grey eyes in surprise for a moment, and smiled down at her old comrade in a motherly fashion. "For you, Shunsui? I have two." She hopped decorously from the crate, and pushed her thick black hair from her face, where it had fallen loose from its usually tight braid. "What seems to be the matter?" she asked with a friendly tone. "Apart, of course, from the obvious." Kyouraku grimaced.
"It's... it's Jyuushirou. I can't find him. Anywhere. Half his division seem to be missing. What in the hell is going on out there?"
Captain Unohana looked troubled for a moment. "He's a competent man, Kyouraku, as you should know better than anyone. I haven't seen him. Are things really so bad? I've not left the tent for some time now..." It was with these words that Shunsui noticed the dark circles under her eyes, the slope of her shoulders, and the uncharacteristically grim countenance.
"Pretty bad. I can't find his reiatsu, and I was hoping you'd have heard from him." Shunsui looked agonised. "Maybe I should go back and look again..."
"What's gotten into you, Shunsui? You know he can take care of himself, and Commander-General Yamamoto has convened a meeting of all fighting captains before the dawn. You should be there."
"I can't. Not without Ukitake. How are we supposed to plan our next move if we don't even know where the Thirteenth are?!"
"They will be even more short-handed missing the captain of the Eighth. Don't be a fool, Shunsui. Surely you're not allowing personal feelings to cloud your judgement? I'm aware of your friendship of course, but there are more important matters to be dealt with at this minute. He's your equal in combat. You have nothing to fear," retorted Unohana, a little sharply. A hundred and one duties were calling her, and already several of her low-ranking officers were tugging at her hakama, desperate for her attention. Kyouraku did not relax as she sorely wished he would, but twitched his notorious flowered pink coat from one shoulder, and stepped closer to her, causing a sharp intake of breath from Kotetsu Isane, her somewhat prudish vice-captain. He pushed his white captain's haori back, and Unohana realised with some surprise that beneath his many layers of clothing Shunsui had been masking a deep gash in his side, probably inflicted with a claw, and not inconsiderable from a medical perspective. "Let me take a look at tha-" she began, but was pushed back by Shunsui with a large and hairy hand.
"Don't waste your time, Retsu, we both know you've got worse problems right now. I've walked away from battles with wounds ten times worse than this." Gone was the usual melodrama of his comments, and Retsu noticed with rising fear that his features had turned ashen. She stepped closer to him, longing to feel his reassuring heat.
"Is it really so bad out there?" she whispered.
"Look around you," replied Shunsui in a low tone. The frightened faces of the healers surrounded them, and the bedrolls which littered the tent were already filled with the injured and dying. "You don't need more proof than you have here." Wary of further admonishment, he strode from the tent. The hell with meetings. He could see it was all going wrong. Kyouraku Shunsui was a captain of the old school, and he wanted to be with his men, making sure their wounds were tended to and that they were fed and rested before the next assault began. He had left his vice-captain Ise Nanao in charge of the Eighth though, because he couldn't find Jyuushirou, and he needed to know he was doing the right thing, and he didn't know what to do, and he was beginning to fear the worst. He held his breath.

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
foolinthemoon
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jun , 2007 11:30 pm
beautiful obsession <3

:Q Thats Damned good writing Pips... Can't wait for more XD!!!

Thanks to Dawn for finding the new avi! <3
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3085856/1/ <----- I can work with that ;)
http://themessians.org I'm sim obsessed! join me!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: