board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Foundation series by Isaac Asimov

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
TWT
Post subject: Foundation series by Isaac Asimov
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 4:47 am
Wembley bound

I'm close to finishing the first in the series: Foundation.

So far I am impressed, very impressed. This is the first Asimov book I've read since I read I, Robot many years ago.

The detail and the ingenuity and astounding. This man can think with his tongue!

Anyone else read Foundation?

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 9:41 am
of Vinyamar

Yeah, I read the first three I think. Well, thats all there was when I read it. More came out later.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 11:31 am
Milk and kisses

Funnily enough I've just re-read the whole series (up to Foundation and Earth) - they're my favourite SF series together with Dune. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 12:53 pm
Wembley bound

I loved the movie Dune and have always meant to read the series. I expect to read Dune afer Foundation and Wheeeeeel of Time (which praise Uru is finally finishing).

What surprised me the most is how amazingly easy it is to read Foundation. There's no excesive descriptions and there it a lot of dialogue.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 1:48 pm
Milk and kisses

Yes, Asimov builds most of his stories on character dialogue. :)

Did you know that most of the plot developments in Foundation (at least the first three books) are inspired by the history of the Roman Empire?

I need to get hold of Forward the Foundation and the other one.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 2:32 pm

I read foundation series a zillion years ago, (the three originals) they appealed to my then adolescent mind, I read the other couple subsequently, they appealed less to my still adolescent mind

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 4:54 pm
You are hearing me talk

I read the first one a long time ago, and all I remember is being confused by frequent character and setting changes (as in a century or two would go by between chapters).

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Sep , 2007 5:50 am

Love Foundation.

The first three books are great, and they just get better as you get deeper in.

The later books do not have the same charm as the first three, but they still have some solid plotting and ideas.

As Berhael noted, many of the ideas came from Asimov's reading of Gibson's "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", and some ideas about history from Toynbee (if I remember correctly) and others.

Asimov was an accomplished popular historian, incidentally, and wrote a number of acclaimed history books.

I remember reading several of them many years ago.

e.g.

The Roman Republic
The Dark Ages
The Greeks: A Great Adventure
Constantinople: The Forgotten Empire

as well as many others.

He used his knowledge of history to inform his work as a fiction writer, but he was also knowledgeable on the subject for its own sake.

There are plot elements in Book II of Foundation (if I remember correctly) that come almost directly from the account of the reign of Justinian I and his great general Belisarius and the Eunuch Narses, that Asimov recounts in the Constantinople book.

(Belisarius appears as Bel Riose in Foundation. The other connections can be put together after you know the tale, which I will not give away.)

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Sep , 2007 10:17 am
of Vinyamar

Must dig these out and read again...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Sep , 2007 4:13 pm

Loved it.

Advice - only read the first three foundation books. Don't read books four and five, and don't read the two pre-quels.

It's not because they are bad - they are very good.

The reason is you want to read the Robot trilogy and the Stars Like Dust trilogy before you read the four additional Foundation books and the additional Robot books.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Sep , 2007 3:51 am

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Loved it.

Advice - only read the first three foundation books. Don't read books four and five, and don't read the two pre-quels.

It's not because they are bad - they are very good.

The reason is you want to read the Robot trilogy and the Stars Like Dust trilogy before you read the four additional Foundation books and the additional Robot books.
"The End of Eternity" is also referenced somewhat obliquely, and certain events in "Nemesis" can be seen as prefiguring things in Foundations Edge (Book IV). Neither "Nemesis" or "The End of Eternity" are critical to the chronology, but while Eternity is a strong work, (some see it as one of Asimov's best in terms of plot), Nemesis is a weaker work.

In addition, the continuation of the Robot Series with "Robots and Empire" is a great tying up of plot threads from the Robot novels and the Galactic Empire novels, particularly "Pebble in the Sky".

"Robots and Empire" should certainly be read before the Foundation prequels, and before "Foundation and Earth", which completes the circle from Robot Novels-->"Pebble in the Sky" (etc)-->"Robots and Empire"-->"Foundation and Earth". You shouldn't have to wait to read "Foundation's Edge" before "Robots and Empire", however.

"Pebble in the Sky" was written before "Robots and Empire", but it follows it in the internal chronology.

It is still preferable to read Pebble earlier, since "Robots and Empire" does a brilliant twist on the events in that book, that is better if read in the order that they were originally written.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Sep , 2007 9:26 am
of Vinyamar

Erm. Could you provide a suggested reading order? I'm having trouble deciphering it from that last post.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Sep , 2007 5:33 am

You can leave out "End of Eternity" and "Nemesis" altogether, if you are concerned about a chronology involving Foundation/Galactic Empire/Robots.

I think there is one brief reference in "Foundation's Edge" that refers obliquely to the book "The End of Eternity". Asimov allegedly stated that he intended to make a more explicit connection but never did.

"Nemesis" is not important, and the events in "Nemesis" occur very much prior to the chronology of all the other books (hyper drive did not yet exist, humanity was still confined largely to the Solar System, interstellar travel is only on the verge of being birthed, etc). Nevertheless, there are some minor connections to "Foundation's Edge" that are not worth worrying over.

Both books may be worth reading on their own at some point, particularly "The End of Eternity"

"Robots and Empire", however, is very important to the overall chronology as Asimov reimagined things in his later years.

Therefore:

Read the original 3 Foundation Books.

Read the Robot Novels.

The Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
Robots of Dawn

Read the Galactic Empire Novels:

The Stars Like Dust
The Currents of Space
Pebble in the Sky (most important for the later connections)

Foundation's Edge

Robots and Empire

Foundation and Earth

The Prequels:

Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Sep , 2007 10:21 am
of Vinyamar

Ooh. Thanks muchly.

Now I just need an extra 5 hours in every day...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: