THE CHRONICLES OF THOMAS COVENANT

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 48 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Feb , 2005 12:43 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Sassy - I'll definitely stay with it!

The thing I've found most intriguing so far is Covenant's inability to accept Health contrasted with his prior inability to accept his disease. So I can see that this relationship between expectation and reality is dealt with in novel ways throughout the book.

I do find him derivative of Tolkien, and without the philological knowledge to make the fantasy names and words ring true. But I think this is probably par for modern fantasy (I don't read much of it, and when I try, usually leave off after a few pages.) A journey through realm after realm where the 'peoples' are different in each realm doesn't leave much room for development, but I'm only through the first half of the first book and there's obviously a lot more to come.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Feb , 2005 12:48 am
Try to stay perky

Hmmm. How can I explain it. I'm relying on old memories too - it's been a long time since I've read it.

The Land did not ring true at first because it seemed too much a fairytale creation. It was too...clean. Too perfect and uni-dimensional. It seemed RIGHT that Covenant did not believe it was real for it seemed to be a dream creation to me too. Lacking in dirt, somehow. Too shiny.

It was not until I was half-way through the book that his unbelief became a foil for me. I guess it just took some time for me to see that Donaldson had indeed given it some roots - it wasn't all fluffy clouds and fantastical imaginings.

It worked okay by the end. :) The crux of it for me, though was the metaphysical journey that Covenant was forced to take; that internal exploration was the most thought-provoking.

I also found the medium - blind beggar in this world, but godlike in another - an enigma of Tom Bombadil proportions (ie, is he of any real use? ;) )

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Feb , 2005 1:15 am
through the looking glass

Imp, The Land is a true character for me because it is almost sentient.
It exudes rightness and health sense and it is peopled with those who do not exploit but reverence and respect what they take from the earth.

SDR's Land reminds me of the experiences I had many years ago, on a mountaintop in upstate NY, under the influence of LSD when I finally perceived and knew the oneness of all. I saw the fabric of life because I was no longer separated from it by ego but was truly an intergral part of the whole. That is what the Land is to me. So because I hold the memories of those experiences close to me .... about as spiritual as I ever been .... I understand what he is describing.

Jn, as you progress the derivations will not matter. I had exactly the same reaction ..... Hmmm, Forestals equal Ents, Hmm, is Lord Foul Sauron
(actually, no he's not) and is the old beggar really The Creator (Iluvatar?) . He may not interfere with the creation except in the most oblique fashion.

Anyway. I am pleased that you will persist. TC's metaphysical journey will lead to some interesting discussions, I think. (hope)

Have you met The Haruchi yet? Now there is an extravagance of faith that
has an unexpected resolution.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Feb , 2005 8:19 pm
Not so deep as a well

I read the first trilogy. The closest analog for me would be slowly grinding my cranium down with an orbital sander using very fine grit.

But personal taste is just that. :)

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Feb , 2005 11:34 pm

Sass, yes I got to the Haruchi. Their situation is as extreme as that of Covenant himself.

I am hoping that Donaldson will make something of the 'extremities' ... it is an interesting challenge, to understand the meaning of the commitment these characters are compelled to make.

Jn

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Feb , 2005 6:58 am
Try to stay perky

Oddly, Ax, I've experienced that sensation on occasion.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Feb , 2005 1:47 am

I'm almost through with the first book. They're in the caves, discovered the Second Ward of Kevin, and Covenant just got cut off from everyone else.

This better be one heck of a denouement! ;)

Jn

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 2:56 pm
of Vinyamar

Hop nobody minds me bumping this one. I read the books years ago and enjoyed them a lot but a recent attempt at rereading them left me cold. I got as far as Lord Fouls speech to Covenent in Drool Rockworms cavern and found I couldn't take it seriously. Why, oh why did he give his villain's first entrance such a jumbled mess of exposition? It really is cringingly bad. To demonstrate:
Quote:
"You do well to pray to me," the voice intoned. Its deadliness shocked Covenant like a confrontation with grisly murder. "There are no other hopes or helps for a man amid the wrack of your fate. My Enemy will not aid you. It was he who chose you for this doom. And when he has chosen, he does not give; he takes." A raw timbre of contempt ran through the voice, scraping Covenant's nerves as it passed. "Yes, you would do well to pray to me. I might ease you of your burden. Whatever health or strength you ask is mine to give. For I have begun my attack upon this age, and the future is mine. I will not fail again."
:
:
Over his silence, the voice continued, "Kevin was a fool-fey, anile and gutless. They are all fools. Look you, groveler. The mighty High Lord Kevin, son of Loric and great-grandson of Berek Lord-Fatherer whom I hate, stood where you now kneel, and he thought to destroy me. He discovered my designs, recognized some measure of my true stature though the dotard had set me on his right side in the Council for long years without sensing his peril-saw at the last who I was. Then there was war between us, war that blasted the west and threatened his precious Keep itself. The feller fist was mine and he knew it. When his armies faltered and his power waned, he lost himself in despair-he became mine in despair. He thought that he still might utterly undo me. Therefore he met me in that cavern from which I have rescued you Kiril Threndor, Heart of Thunder.
:
:
"In truth it is already too late for them. They will come to Kiril Threndor, and I will teach them things to darken their souls. It is fitting. There Kevin met and dared me in his despair. And I accepted. The fool! I could hardly speak the words for laughing. He thought that such spells might unbind me.
"But the Power which upholds me has stood since the creation of Time. Therefore when Kevin dared me to unleash the forces that would strike the Land and all its accursed creations into dust, I took the dare. Yes, and laughed until there was doubt in his face before the end. That folly brought the age of the Old Lords to its ruin-but I remain. I! Together we stood in Kiril Threndor, blind Kevin and I. Together we uttered the Ritual of Desecration. Ah, the fool! He was already enslaved to me and knew it not. Proud of his Lore, he did not know that the very Law which he served preserved me through that cataclysm, though all but a few of his own people and works were stricken into death.
"True, I was reduced for a time. I have spent a thousand years gnawing my desires like a beaten cur. The price of that has yet to be paid-for it and other things I shall exact my due. But I was not destroyed. And when Drool found the Staff and recognized it, and could not use it, I took my chance again. I will have the future of this life, to waste or hold as I desire. So pray to me, groveler. Reject the doom that my Enemy has created for you. You will not have many chances to repent."
:
:
As if sensing its mistake, the voice became smoother. "I have had many names," it said. "To the Lords of Revelstone, I am Lord Foul the Despiser; to the Giants of Seareach, Satansheart and Soulcrusher. The Ramen name me Fangthane. In the dreams of the Bloodguard, I am Corruption. But the people of the Land call me the Gray Slayer."
:
:
"As for you, groveler: do not fail with this message. If you do not bring it before the Council, then every human in the Land will be dead before ten seasons have passed. You do not understand-but I tell you Drool Rockworm has the Staff, and that it is a cause for terror. He will be enthroned at Lord's Keep in two years if the message fails. Already, the Cavewights are marching to his call; and wolves, and urviles of the Demondim, answer the power of the Staff. But war is not the worst peril. Drool delves ever deeper into the dark roots of Mount Thunder-Gravin Threndor, Peak of the Fire-Lions. And there are banes
buried in the deeps of the Earth too potent and terrible for any mortal to control. They would make of the universe a hell forever. But such a bane Drool seeks. He searches for the Illearth Stone. If he becomes its master, there will be woe for low and high alike until Time itself falls.
"Do not fail with my message, groveler. You have met Drool. Do you relish dying in his hands?"
:
:

"One word more," Foul said, "a final caution. Do not forget whom to fear at the last. I have had to be content with killing and torment. But now my plans are laid, and I have begun. I shall not rest until I have eradicated hope from the Earth. Think on that, and be dismayed!"

MUHAHHAHAHHAH....

It really is bad isn't it? I know it gets better and I'll give it another go, but I thought that thoe sections (all in a couple of pages) deserved a look!

Cheers,
Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 48 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: