board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Bleach down the pub

Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Feb , 2008 2:46 am

As Ukitake began coughing, Ishida glanced at him and then quickly away. He had spent enough time in his father's hospital to know it was impolite to watch the coughing fit.

Urahara finished another mug and slid his hand towards Ishida's mostly full mug, only to recieve a glare from the young Quincy.

Urahara pulled back slightly and then decided the beer was worth suffering the boy's wrath.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Feb , 2008 3:56 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Ukitake fought desperately to reign in his coughing, wishing people hadn't stopped talking. He felt ridiculous, but knowing how rude he must look wasn't exactly helping him stop.
Under the table, Shunsui's hand slipped over his, and Ukitake slipped his fingers into the calloused warmth, squeezing tightly with his own bony digits. Above the table, his face began to regain its calm, and finally he stopped, dabbing at the corners of his mouth with the handkerchief. He closed his eyes for a moment with relief, and put the stained handkerchief back between the sleeves of his gi and shitagi, wiping his forehead with his haori as his shallow breaths slowly returned to some semblance of normality.
As Ukitake tried to recover beside him, Shunsui picked up where he'd left off thinking. He looked the dejected arrancar in the eye. "Beer not your thing?" he asked, as sweetly as he could manage, giving Ukitake's hand a little squeeze. "You know, it's very hard to condemn you for what you are, on a personal level. Without you dragging one of these humans off their stool and disembowelling them in front of us, you just seem like a sad man, given ridiculous orders. What did Aizen want to get out of observing us? He knows our behaviour is generally aberrant and doesn't reflect the will of the soutaichou. And he knows that we're rather good, when it comes to fighting. Was he trying to get you killed, or have you got some sort of ulterior? I don't get it." He sighed. "D'you want something else to drink? I like the beer here, but I've got my own sake if you want a try, and they do plenty of other stuff."
Ukitake, who, was doing his best to look chipper, but still hadn't actually yet dared to open his mouth again, gave Ulquiorra a long-suffering smile and a half-shrug - trying to suggest that alcohol might not be the solution to everybody's problems, but with a friend like Shunsui, well, what were you going to do?

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Feb , 2008 1:31 pm
Everything Is Numb

At the mention of more alcohol, Ulquiorra almost threw up. Instead he slowly shook his head (to keep the dizziness at a minimum) and murmured, "Now I know why Aizen-sama only serves tea at his meetings."

He looked at Shunsui and remarked, "You sure like to brag about your fighting prowess, don't you? It's annoying." Ulquiorra stopped there and looked over the seemingly friendly and laid-back shinigami. Ulquiorra thought in this instance though, looks were very much deceiving. "But how you feel on a personal level means nothing in the grand scheme of things and you know that." Ulquiorra paused and considered what else he wanted to add to that statement, but between his pounding head and increasingly sick stomach he found his thoughts hard to get a hold of. So he responded to the question that he did know the answer to, more out of respect to his aching head than anything else.

"What does Aizen-sama want? To watch you of course. Every single thing I see, Aizen-sama sees. I'm his best spy in that regard. So it doesn't matter if I am...uh...coherent or not...not as long as my eyes are open," Ulquiorra finished in a slur.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Feb , 2008 2:19 am

Ishida growled and launched himself across the table at the arrancar, his fingers seeking out the hollow's throat.

"You bastard. I hope Aizen sees this!" Ishida yelled as the two fell to the floor.

((OOC: Mmk Sid, you can take it wherever you want from here...I didn't know if Ulqui was drunk enough for Ishi to actually land any hits, so that's up to you. :D ))

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Feb , 2008 3:57 am

Ukitake and Shunsui glanced at each other for a split second before darting across to try and separate the two. Naturally, Ukitake, currently incapacitated, headed for the similarly disabled arrancar; Shunsui lunged towards the furious quincy, making to grab his shoulders and pull him away.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Feb , 2008 7:32 pm
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra brought his hand up to block as soon as Ishida moved this time. He had been keeping an eye on him ever since the last time the boy tried to attack him. He felt the Quincy's hand slam into the back of his own with enough force that Ulquiorra sincerely hoped that the kid broke it. It would teach him a lesson.

As he fell beneath the kid, he muttered, "You are a fool, boy. Do you make it a habit to attack people this far out of your league? If all the Qunicy were as stupid as you, it's no wonder they are all dead now."

Then he was pinned by Ukitake and the kid was taken off of him. He looked at the shinigami from the corner of his eye and irritably said, "You don't have to hold me down. I'm not going to do anything. There is no way this boy could hurt me, even if he put everything he had behind it."

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Feb , 2008 3:32 am

People around the pub were staring at them now, and a few were laughing uncertainly at the antics of the strange foreigners in their funny clothes. But Ukitake didn't give a damn right now. Nobody watching was about to judge his family on his behaviour. He pulled Ulquiorra up by the collar of his uniform.
"Who the hell gave you the right to judge our fighting ability without even drawing your sword? Damn fool! Show some respect! Have we questioned you, Mr Can't-hold-your-drink? You dare to say that we are blowing our own horns? Well what is your appearance in this human place but a severe case of Aizen trying to prove he's got something on us? He can't even bring himself to do his own dirty work, and you question us?"
He slapped Ulquiorra soundly and let him fall to the floor, clenching his fist in anger as he panted.
"Jyuushirou..." warned Shunsui, who was still holding a struggling Ishida some inches from the floor.
Ukitake glanced at Shunsui, resentment flashing briefly across his face. "I know," he muttered, and sat down again, his head in his hands.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Feb , 2008 12:58 pm
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra slowly stood up and brushed his uniform off. He stared at Ukitake with narrowed eyes and said, "You are overconfident because you think you know how strong I am. You think you can feel my reiatsu, but as I tried to explain earlier before I was so rudely cut off with infantile behavior, you aren't feeling even half of it. If I were to "draw my sword" as you seem to be practically begging me to do, you would no longer have to suffer that cough, shinigami."

He slowly walked over to his seat and sat down. "Now if you would excuse me, I am going to lay here quietly until I feel well enough to report back to Aizen-sama."

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2008 9:43 pm

Ishida struggled against Shunsui's grip for a few moments and then gave up as his glasses fell to the floor.

"Let me go, I can't reach my glasses." Ishida murmured quietly. Urahara snorted from across the table where he was still relaxing in his chair.

"Please, I need to get them." Ishida continued, doing his best to keep his gaze on his lost spectacles.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Mar , 2008 10:37 pm

Shunsui sighed, and leaned down to pick up the glasses himself, whilst still holding Ishida slightly off the floor under one arm. "Here," he muttered, placing them gently on Ishida's face, one-handed. "If I put you down now, can you promise that there won't be a repeat of that?" he asked quietly. He glanced at Ukitake, who looked miserable, and Ulquiorra, who... well, who looked worse than he had to start with, at any rate.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Mar , 2008 11:38 pm

Ishida cleared his throat and nodded slightly.

"I'm done." He muttered quietly, trying not to move his face least his glasses slip off again.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Mar , 2008 11:49 pm

Shunsui lowered Ishida to the ground, taking care not to jolt him again.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Mar , 2008 11:54 pm

Ishida slammed his fist into the ground as he caught his breath and then slowly stood.

He slowly walked to his chair and settled onto it carefully, not willing to look at the others around the table.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Mar , 2008 4:04 am
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra toyed with the paper napkin on the table, tearing it into small bits. He supposed that disposable napkins were more sanitary than cloth, but tonight all he could think of was how they symbolized that the world had moved on. He glanced up at the shinigami and wondered if they ever felt the rotation of the worlds as keenly as he did tonight. Images of a windblown field played before his eyes...half remembered and misty with age. Did he ever know such a place? Did he care?

"Worlds move and change and we dream of what once was, hoping to change too...but why do we hope? It's all meaningless..." he whispered as he piled the napkin pieces, not realizing he was speaking out loud.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Mar , 2008 4:11 am

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr... cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal, but the good name never dies of one who has done well," countered Shunsui, who had retaken his seat and was now gazing shrewdly at Ulquiorra over somebody's beer (which wasn't Ukitake's).

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 07 Mar , 2008 8:15 pm

"'The world in which we live has changed, and we must change with it.'" Urahara paused for a second and smiled wryly.

"Although, sometimes we hate changing." He mused, his hands clasped around his mug.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Mar , 2008 1:31 am
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra looked up irritably at their words. "Why are you preaching at me all the sudden? Do you ever give a man a moment's peace?"

He went back to carefully arranging the little paper pieces. "Besides, it's obvious neither of you know what you are talking about."

"You..." Here he pointed at Urahara. "Sometimes we can't change what we are."

"And you," he addressed Shunsui. "It's easy for you to talk about good deeds and good names, shinigami."

At this he swept all of the napkin pieces into his hand and threw them into his empty mug. "Sometimes you can't change and sometimes good deeds are in the eye of the beholder, but you both forget the most important thing. None of it matters. Not in the end."

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Mar , 2008 1:41 am

Ishida dropped his head to the table and gently banged his forehead against it a few times.

Urahara arched an eyebrow and nodded to the arrancar, but remained silent.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Mar , 2008 3:43 am

"We're no preachers," said Shunsui, evenly. "Like I said, we're not exactly appreciated, despite our obvious wonderfulness. In the conflict around Aizen's departure, we were just trying to do what we thought would work out for the best. Even if it meant pissing everyone the hell off. Dunno about you, Jyuu-shi, but Kisuke and I haven't exactly got 'good names' right now."
Ukitake looked up from his slumped position. "Don't know what you're talking about. I was the one with the seal. Most of my family still aren't talking to me." He put his face back down on the table.
"Never mind," said Shunsui cheerfully, "they'll come round. They always do. I haven't spoken to mine since they first saw me in my newest haori. The point is, my friend, that it's those who simply do the best they can with what they have that people will remember as good. "
Ukitake looked up again, fatigue lined across his face. His calm chestnut eyes met Ulquiorra's sharp green gaze. "It won't do you any good to curse your lot. Life - or death - doesn't exactly deal an even hand. There's nothing you can do but accept that, and then choose your own path. No point in fighting what you are." He laid his head to rest upon his folded arms, so that he could watch the others properly. He looked guilty for a second.
"I'm sorry I slapped you. I think."

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Mar , 2008 3:12 pm
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra's fingers itched to stop the Quincy boy's banging which was pounding into his sensitive head at almost intolerable levels. Instead he addressed the shinigami again, "Again you show your narrow and close-minded worldview with such statements. What makes you think that I am not doing just that? That by throwing my lot in with Aizen-sama, I am not trying to secure my good name?"

He paused there and amazingly longed for something to take a drink of. He saw a glass of untouched ice water on the table and took a sip of that. He tried to ignore the sharp icy pain that it brought to his head and resumed, "Aizen-sama is making us strong, giving us the ability to finally fight back against the soul reapers on even ground. So that we don't have to be singularly slaughtered by them. You Kisuke Urahara, you made the hougoyoku and yet you never used it. You would have never given us a chance to just survive, would you?"

He turned to Shunsui and Ukitake again, "You shouldn't be so presumptuous that your way of doing good is the only way."

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: