The Last Homely Site on the Web

Terry Pratchett, Discworld, et al

Post Reply   Page 1 of 9  [ 169 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
peeg
Post subject: Terry Pratchett, Discworld, et al
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 5:28 am
You Tolkien to me?

It's a tiny obsession of mine. And i was going to do a "best of" list, but it sort of turned into something.....different. Well, anyway, i don't now if it's worth the wasted hours, but i definetly had a good time putting this together.....

An Incomprehensive Guide to Terry Pratchett’s Discworld Series :D

1) Maskerade A loose satire of the Phantom of the Opera, with its very own cast of aria singer, witches, ghosts, cats and candelabras.

2) The Truth What happens when a bunch of dwarfs open a printing press in Ankh Morpork, the biggest stinking city on the Disc, resulting in the first every daily newspaper.

3) Jingo A new land has surfaced between the great cities of Ankh Morpork and Klatch, and now it's up to Commander Sam Vimes of the City Watch to deal with a crime so big there's no law against it. It's called "war"

That was my top three books. Now, for the rest, written in chronological order, i will give you either a little something from the blurb and/or a really good quote ;)

The Books

The Colour of Magic Discworld is a place where anything can happen. And it does when Twoflower, a naive insurance salesman turned tourist, makes the mistake of selling fire insurance to an arson-prone innkeeper. One burning town later, Twoflower and his amazing, sentient Luggage -- which follows him everywhere on its hundreds of little feet -- find themselves rescued by the inept wizard Rincewind, who is only too happy to turn tour guide as long as the gold flows free.

"Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant idiot"

The Light Fantastic* Rincewind was the most truly inept wizard the earth of Discworld had ever known. He was a wizard with only one spell, a spell he would never dare say, one of the Eight Great Spells from the magical Octavo. So powerful was this magic that every ordinary useful spell refused to stay in the wizard's mind for even one instant. Then the Red Star appeared in the sky -- and everyone finally understood what the Eight Spells were really for.....and suddenly the whole planet -- from wizards and warriors to druids and demons -- were after Rincewind.

Equal Rites* "There's no such thing as a female wizard!" But on the Discworld, there's no such thing as impossible. And so, a wizard on the brink of death tries to pass on his staff and powers to an eighth son of an eighth son.... The fact that the son is actually a daughter is discovered just a little too late. Granny Weatherwax insists on turning Eskarina into a perfectly normal witch but the wizard's staff has a whole different future in mind for Esk, which involves saving the world amongst other things.....

Mort Death takes on an apprentice: Death comes to us all. When he came to Mort, he offered him a job.

Sourcery The eighth son of an eighth son is a wizard. And HIS eighth son is.....a sorcerer. And his very existence brings the Discworld to the very verge of all-out thaumaturgical war...

Wyrd Sisters Kingdoms wobble, crowns topple and knives flash on the magical Discworld as the statutory three witches meddle in royal politics. But Granny Weatherwax and her fellow coven members find it's all a lot more difficult than playwrights would have you believe...

“As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice shrieked: ‘When shall we three meet again?’
There was a pause.
Finally another voice said, in far more ordinary tones: ‘Well, I can do next Tuesday.’”

“The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock, and like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo”

Pyramids Being a teenage god wasn't all it was cracked up to be. But training as an assassin had been great fun for Teppic -- at least until he was actually expected to kill someone. Teppic's real worries began when his father, the Pharaoh, went to his untimely mummyhood, and he was made king of all the realm. Out of control pyramids, a disappearing kingdom, crazy high priests and deadly handmaidens are just the least of his worries....

“What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: ‘Why is it so dark in here?’”

Guards! Guards! The Night Watch wasn't respected or well-staffed but it was all Vimes had to be Captain of. And in a town like Ankh-Morpork, where wizards worked any spells they pleased, the thieves and assassins belonged to well-established guilds. But it didn't take long for this comfortable routine to be destroyed by the arrival of Carrot, a well over six-feet-tall dwarf determined to become the best guard Ankh-Morpork had ever seen, even if it meant arresting everyone in the city. Add to that an ambitious man's tampering with long-forbidden magic to call forth the biggest dragon imaginable, and let chaos ensue…

“This is Lord Mountjoy Quickfang Winterforth IV, the hottest dragon in the city.”

Eric Eric is the Discworld's only demonology hacker. Pity he's not very good at it. And instead of a tractable demon, he calls up Rincewind, probably the most incompetent wizard in the universe, and the extremely intractable and hostile form of travel accessory known as the Luggage. And with them at his side, Eric’s in for a ride through space and time that’s going to make him with he was never born…..

- "There's a door"
- "Where does it go?"
- "It stays where it is, I think."

Moving Pictures Holy Wood. It held celluloid magic, dreams -- and nightmares -- come true, realities altered at an almost impossible rate. And the Discworld was about to get more than its share of action, adventure, romance—and a menace. Suddenly a cast of thousands were falling under the spell, and it’s up to the Disc’s first film stars to get to the bottom of it. You’ll thrill, scream and definitely eat popcorn.

Reaper Man Death is missing -- presumed ... er ... gone. Which leads to the kind of chaos you always get when an important public service is withdrawn. Now it’s up to Dead Rights activist Reg Shoe and newly deceased wizard Windle Poons to save the world for the living. Meanwhile, on a little farm far, far away, a tall, dark stranger is turning out to be really good with a scythe. There's a harvest to be got in. And when the scythe is on the other foot, Death is finding that life can be an awfully hard habit to break...

"LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE COMPASSION OF THE REAPER MAN?”

Witches Abroad* Death waits for no one -- not even a fairy godmother. So when Desiderata waited a little too long to find a successor, it was up to Magrat Garlick, Granny Weatherwax, and Nanny Ogg to grab their broomsticks and keep Desiderata's appointment in far-distant Genua and save Princess Emberella. Forget the journey there- the trouble really begins when they get to Genua. After all, you can’t fight a happy ending…..up until now.

Small Gods Brutha is the Chosen One. His god has spoken to him, admittedly while currently in the shape of a tortoise. Brutha is a simple lad. He can't read. He can't write. And his wants are few. He wants to overthrow a huge and corrupt church. He wants to prevent a horrible holy war. He wants peace and justice and brotherly love. He wants the Inquisition to stop torturing him now, please. But most of all, what he really wants, more than anything else, is for his god to Choose Someone Else...

“And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: ‘Psst!’”
"You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look."

Last edited by peeg on Thu 12 Jan , 2006 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 5:32 am
You Tolkien to me?

Lords and Ladies It's a hot Midsummer Night. And Magrat Garlick, witch, is going to be married in the morning. Everything ought to be going like a dream. But the Lancre All-Comers Morris Team have got drunk on a fairy mound and the elves have come back, bringing all those things traditionally associated with the magical, glittering realm of Faerie: cruelty, kidnapping, malice and evil, evil murder (But with tons of style). Granny Weatherwax and her tiny argumentative coven have really got their work cut out this time...

Men-at-Arms "Be a MAN in the City Watch! The City watch needs MEN!" But what it's got includes Corporal Carrot (technically a dwarf), Lance-constable Cuddy (really a dwarf), Lance-constable Detritus (a troll), Lance-constable Angua (a woman ... most of the time) and Corporal Nobbs (disqualified from the human race for shoving). And they need all the help they can get. Because there's evil in the air and murder afoot and something very nasty in the streets. It'd help if it could all be sorted out by noon, because that's when Captain Vimes is officially retiring, handing in his badge and getting married.

“If the Creator had said, ‘Let there be light’ in Ankh-Morpork, he'd have gotten no further because of all the people saying ‘What colour?’”

“The river Ankh is probably the only river in the universe on which the investigators can chalk the outline of the corpse.”

Soul Music Other children get given xylophones. Susan just had to ask her grandfather to take his vest off. Yes. There's a Death in the Family. It's hard to grow up normally when Grandfather rides a white horse and wields a scythe -- especially when you have to take over the family business, and everyone mistakes you for the Tooth Fairy. This is a story about Death's granddaughter, who inherited the job and grew to enjoy it. It’s about Drugs and Music With Rocks in it….

Interesting Times Mighty Battles! Revolution! Death! War! (And his sons Terror and Panic, and daughter Clancy) The oldest and most inscrutable empire on the Discworld is in turmoil. Workers are uniting. War (and Clancy) are spreading through the ancient cities. And all that stands in the way of terrible doom for everyone is: Rincewind the Wizard, who can't even spell the word "wizard"...Cohen the barbarian hero, five foot tall in his surgical sandals, who has had a lifetime's experience of not dying ...And a very special butterfly..

“Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages, and just scream in another forty-four.”

“Many an ancient lord's last words had been, ‘You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh!’”

Maskerade (as above)

“Ahahahahaha! Ahahahaha! Aahahaha!
BEWARE!!!!!
Yrs sincerely
The Opera Ghost”

Feet of Clay There's a werewolf with pre-lunar tensiom in Ankh-Morpork. And a dwarf with attitude and a golem who's begun to think for itself. But for Commander Vimes, Head of Ankh-Morpork City Watch, that's only the start... as autumn fogs hold Anhk-Morpork in their grip, he's not only got to find out whodunit, but howdunit too. He's not even sure what they dun. But as soon as he knows what the questions are, he's going to want some answers. Who can you trust when there are mobs on the streets and plotters in the dark and all the clues point the wrong way?

“Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate...”

Hogfather It's the night before Hogswatch. And it's too quiet. There's snow, there're trees covered with decorations, but there's a notable lack of the big fat man who delivers the toys...He's gone. Susan has got to find him before morning, otherwise the sun won't rise. And unfortunately her only helpers are a raven with an eyeball fixation, the Death of Rats and an oh god of hangovers. Worse still, someone is coming down the chimney. This time he's carrying a sack instead of a scythe, but there's something regrettably familiar...

HO. HO. HO.

“But honestly, what kind of sick person went round creeping into little children's bedrooms all night? Well, the Hogfather, of course, but...”

Jingo (as above)

"Taxation...is very much like dairy farming. The task is to extract the maximum amount of milk with the minimum of moo. And I am afraid to say that these days all I get is moo."

“Veni, vermini, vomui, I came, I got ratted, I threw up? Visi, veneri, vamoosi, I visited, I caught an embarassing disease, I ran away?”

“Always be a little bit foreign wherever you are, because everyone knows foreigners are a little bit stupid”

The Last Continent This is the Discworld's last continent, a completely separate creation. It's hot. It's dry ... very dry. There was this thing once called The Wet, which no one now believes in. Practically everything that's not poisonous is venemous. But it's the best bloody place in the world, all right? And it'll die in a few days, except...
Who is this hero striding across the red desert? Champion sheep shearer, horse rider, road warrior, beer drinker, bush ranger and someone who'll even eat a Meat Pie Floater when he's sober? A man in a hat, whose Luggage follows him around on little legs, who's about to change history by preventing a swagman stealing a jumbuck by a billabong? Yes ... all this place has between itself and wind-blown doom is Rincewind, the inept wizard who can't even spell wizard. He's the only hero left.

Still ... no worries, eh?

(The Last Continent is not a book about Australia. It's just vaguely Australian. ;) )

“Ridcully was to management what King Herod was to the Bethlehem Playgroup Association. His mental approach to it could be visualised as a sort of business flowchart with, at the top, a circle entitled ‘Me, who does the telling’ and, connected below it by a line, a large circle entitled ‘Everyone else’.”

“Rincewind had always been happy to think of himself as a racist. The One Hundred Metres, the Mile, the Marathon -- he'd run them all.”

Carpe Jugulum There’s a war brewing in Lancre, a war between vampires and witches. There's Young Agnes, who is really in two minds about everything. Magrat, who is trying to combine witchcraft and nappies, Nanny Ogg ... and Granny Weatherwax, who is big trouble. And the vampires are intelligent. They've got style and fancy waistcoats. They're out of the casket, and want a bite of the future…

The Fifth Elephant Sam Vimes is a man on the run. Yesterday he was a Duke, a chief of police, and the ambassador to the mysterious fat-rich country of Uberwald. Now he has nothing but his native wit and the gloomy trousers of Uncle Vanya (don't ask). It's snowing. It's freezing. And if he can't make it through the forest to civilization there's going to be a terrible war. But there are monsters on his trail. They're bright. They're fast. They're werewolves -- and they're catching up.

“A marriage is always made up of two people who are prepared to swear that only the other one snores”

“When Vimes sneezed, Ankh Morpork blew its nose”

The Truth (as above)

“The world is made up of four elements: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. This is a fact well known even to Corporal Nobbs. It's also wrong. There's a fifth element, and generally it's called Surprise.”

“The Truth Shall make ye Fret!”

“There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass! Who's been pinching my beer?”

Theif of Time Time is a resource. Everyone knows it has to be managed. And on Discworld that is the job of the Monks of History, who store it and pump it from the places where it's wasted (like underwater -- how much time does a codfish need?) to places like cities, where there's never enough time. But the construction of the world's first truly accurate clock starts a race against, well, time for Lu Tze and his apprentice Lobsang Ludd. Because it will stop time. And that will only be the start of everyone's problems…

Rule one: “Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!"

Rule two: "No running with scythes!"

“Death was Death, of course, but the other three were really just local crop failure, scuffles and spots”

The Last Hero* He's been a legend in his own lifetime. He can remember the glory days of high adventure. He can remember when a hero didn't have to worry about fences and lawyers and civilisation. He can remember when people didn't tell you off for killing dragons. But he can't always remember, these days, where he put his teeth... He’s Cohen the Barbarian, and he’s off to challenge the gods.

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents* Imagine a million clever rats. Rats that don't run. Rats that fight...Maurice, a streetwise tomcat, has the perfect money-making scam. He's found a stupid-looking kid who plays a pipe, and he has his very own plague of rats -- rats who are strangely educated, so Maurice can no longer think of them as 'lunch'. And everyone knows the stories about rats and pipers...

Night Watch Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch had it all. But now he's back inhis own rough, tough past without even the clothes he was standing up in when the lightning struck. Living in the past is hard. Dying in the past is incredibly easy. But he must survive, because he has a job to do. He must track down a murderer, teach his younger self how to be a good copper and change the outcome of a bloody rebellion. There's a problem: if he wins, he's got no wife, no child, no future.

“Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a Hard-boiled Egg!”

The Wee Free Men* There's trouble on the Aching farm -- a monster in the river, a headless horseman in the driveway and nightmares spreading down from the hills. And now Tiffany Aching's little brother has been stolen by the Queen of the Fairies (although Tiffany doesn't think this is entirely a bad thing). Tiffany's got to get him back. To help her, she ha a weapon (a frying pan), her granny's magic book (well, Diseases of the Sheep, actually) and --

'Crivens! Whut aboot us ye daftie!' -- oh yes. She's also got the Nac Mac Feegle, the Wee Free Men, the fightin', thievin', tiny blue-skinned pictsies who were thrown out of Fairyland for being Drunk and Disorderly...

Monstrous Regiment Polly Perks had to become a boy in a hurry. Cutting off her hair and wearng trousers was easy. Learning to fart and belch in public and walk like an ape took more time... nd now she's enlisted in the army, and searching for her lost brother. But there's a war on. There's always a war on. And Polly and her fellow recruits are suddenly in the thick of it, without any training, and the enemy is hunting them. All they have on their side is the most artful sergeant in the army and a vampire with a lust for coffee. Well... they have the Secret. And as they take the war to the heart of the enemy, they have to use all the resources of... the Monstrous Regiment.

A Hat Full of Sky A real witch can ride a broomstick, cast spells and make a proper shamble out of nothing. Eleven-year-old Tiffany Aching can't. A real witch never casually steps out of her body, leaving it empty. Tiffany does. And there's something just waiting for a handy body to take over. Something ancient and horrible, which can't die. Now she's got to fight back and learn to be a real witch really quickly, with the help of arch-witch Mistress Weatherwax and the truly amazing Miss Level...-- "Crivens! And us!" Oh, yes. And the Nac Mac Feegle -- the rowdiest, toughest, smelliest bunch of fairies ever to be thrown out of Fairyland for being drunk at two in the afternoon. They'll fight anything. And even they might not be enough...

Going Postal* Convicted con-man and forger Moist van Lipwig is given a choice. Face the hangman's noose, or get Ankh-Morpork's ancient post office up and running efficiently! It was a tough decision...Now, the former criminal is facing really big problems. There's tons of undelivered mail. Ghosts are talking to him. One of the postmen is 18,000 years old. And you really wouldn't want to know what his new girlfriend can do with a shoe. To top it off, shadowy characters don't want the mail moved. Instead, they want him dead -- deader than all those dead letters. (And here he'd thought that all he'd have to face was rain, snow, and gloom of night...)

Thud!* Koom Valley? That was where the trolls ambushed the dwarves, or the dwarves ambushed the trolls. It was far away. It was a long time ago. But if he doesn't solve the murder of just one dwarf, Commander Sam Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch is going to see the battle fought again, right outside his office. With his beloved Watch crumbling around him and war-drums sounding, he must unravel every clue, outwit every assassin and brave any darkness to find the solution. And darkness is following him.

*Books i haven't read

Last edited by peeg on Thu 12 Jan , 2006 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 5:37 am
You Tolkien to me?

The Characters

His Grace the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes was first seen lying in a gutter at the start of Guards! Guards!. Since then, Sam Vimes's fortunes have changed dramatically. He started out a lonely drunkard, in charge of a Watch that most people pretended didn't exist. Now he is married to the richest woman in Ankh-Morpork, holds a position of influence in the city, and has just been proclaimed a Duke by the Patrician. Despite despising dwarfs, trolls, Assassins, monarchy, the Patrician and the undead, Vimes is generally fair in his policing - and he always gets his man, woman or golem, even if it sometimes takes a while. He is respected by all the Watchmen, and has a rare talent for upsetting important people, which is perhaps why Vetinari likes him so much.

For more: http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld/gang.html

Last edited by peeg on Thu 12 Jan , 2006 3:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 5:40 am
You Tolkien to me?

Honarary Mentions

Good Omens (written in colaboration with Neil Gaiman) Crowley, Hell's most approachable demon, and an old friend Aziraphale, genuine angel and London book shop owner, have a problem. Armageddon - which will happen on a Saturday Night. Next Saturday, in fact. So they've got no alternative but to stop the Four Motorcyclists of the Apocalypse, defeat the Witchfinder Army and find and kill the Antichrist - an eleven-year-old boy who loves his dog ...

Featuring the irrepressible War, Famine, Pollution and Death. :D

The carpet people In the beginning there was an endless naked plain. Then the carpet came, who covered the nakedness and it was fresh, without a lint between the threads. Then the dust came. And from the dust came the Munrungs and the proud Deftmenes. Not to mention the Snargs and other wild creatures from the matted regions.

Phew!! Did that really take four posts? Ahh, well, i had fun putting it together, so it was worth it :D :D

Last edited by peeg on Mon 18 Apr , 2005 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 11:58 am
Morituri Nolumus Mori

The books I have:

- Witches trilogy (Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad)
- City Watch trilogy (Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay)
- Death trilogy (Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music)
- Gods trilogy (Pyramids!, Small Gods, Hogfather)
- Rincewind trilogy (Sourcery, Eric, Interesting Times)
- Nightwatch.
- The Art of Discworld.

Terry Pratchett is my hero. His writing style is just awesome. I'd say my favorite books are Mort, Hogfather, Small Gods, Interesting Times and Feet of Clay. And Susan and Death are my favorite characters...;):D:D

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 5:14 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Wow! A Discworld thread! :D

I've been reading Discworld since I was about nine, and my younger brother is the only one in the family who doesn't. My favorite character is Rincewind- though I'm going through a bit of a Vimesish phase right now. :)

Good Omens is also one of the best books I've ever read. I re-read it only last week, and I've been attempting fan'art' ever since. ;)

PG, I didn't know about the new book! I guess I should have picked up on the Thud thing... I'ts been possible to accuratly guess the subject matter of upcoming books for a little while now. Remember Vetinari's chess set? Sometimes I think he knows what's happening before it happens. :scratch

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 6:49 pm
Fading Softly

I'm not going to list the books I have because..well..there's a whole shelf of them. I'm currently waiting for Going Postal to come out here in paperback. (stupid third world country..)

My favourite books are probably the City Watch ones. Vimes is one of the most subtly brilliant characters ever created, in any genre, at any time. I love Night Watch, and will be wearing my "How do they rise?" t-shirt on May 25. (And carrying a towel-a lilac one. But that's a subject for another thread)

And I think Jingo should be mandatory reading. To promote world peace.

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 7:35 pm
Morituri Nolumus Mori

I'm quite interested in "Going Postal" as well, considering I'm a postman on saturdays myself. And the synopsis was interesting...:D

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2005 12:58 am
Sharpe-sighted

Right now there's the Street Map of Ankh-Morpork hanging on the wall above the comp. (directly opposing the Middle-Earth map :D )

Books I don't own - yet....
- The last hero
- The amazing Maurice
- Night watch
- A hat full of sky
- Going postal
- Thud

And I do love Carrot - well who doesn't :D - and Angua.
And Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg.

The book I liked least was Small Gods.

What about a honorary mention of
The carpet people ?
In the beginning there was an endless naked plain. Then the carpet came, who covered the nakedness and it was fresh, without a lint between the threads. Then the dust came. And from the dust came the Munrungs and the proud Deftmenes. Not to mention the Snargs and other wild creatures from the matted regions.

Sorry, no quote because I only own the german edition. But since then I looked at carpets with different eyes. ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2005 2:16 am
Another bright red day

Yay! A Terry Pratchett thread! :D :D

I've read not all, but a good deal of his work. After WorldCon last year I went on a TP kick and read almost exclusively Discworld for 6 months. :whistle: :D

Of the standalones, my favourites are The Truth and The Amazing Maurice. Okay, and Going Postal. I love the Death books, too. He's just so. . . dry. :D And yet, so funny.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2005 6:39 am
You Tolkien to me?

Pip, Thud sounds interesting, mostly because it's got Vimesey in it :D He's my favorite character right after Death.

Oh yea, and Areanor, wish i could make a list of the TP books i DON'T have. Currently the only ones i own are Jingo and The Last Continent. What can i say? I'm poor ;)

Maybe i should move up the book descriptions and devote one post to characters? You guys'll have to help me with that. Two posts for the books (cause there's so many), one for characters and one for honarary mentions. What d'you think?

Oh, and i've added in the carpet people :)

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2005 9:34 am
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Peeg: Sounds good to me...:)

Areanor: When I first read Small Gods I didn't like it either, but on second and third reading it really started to grow on me. It's quite philosophical, more so than the rest he's written and it has some 'theories' in it that I really like.

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 6:17 am
You Tolkien to me?

Goodie. Ok, then, here's a list of all the character we need profiles of:

-Rincewind
-Twoflowers
-The Luggage (technically a character ;))
-Cohen the Barbarian
-Death
-Ysabell
-Mort
-Susan
-Commander Vimes
-Vetinari
-Captain Carrot
-Angua
-Nobby Nobbs
-Sergent Colon
-Reg Shoe
-Archancellor Ridcully
-The Dean
-Senior Wrangler
-Lecturer in Recent Runes
-Chair of Indefinite Studies
-The Bursar
-The Librarian
-Ponder Stibbons
-Granny Weatherwax
-Nanny Ogg
-Magrat Garlick
-Agnes Nitt
-Lu Tze
-William De Word
-Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler

And that's only the characters that appear in more than one book. And i'm sure i missed some out :Q :Q

You guys have to help me write these!!! I'm damned if i'm gonna write em all down on my own, so you have to help :D :D :D

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 8:11 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'm reading through them in order. My absolute favourite so far is Lords and Ladies. An absolute masterpiece in every way.

I also liked Small Gods. Areanor, maybe you should give it another try? Or tell us what you didn't like about it?

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Apr , 2005 3:52 pm
DomiKNITrix

So now I finally know where to begin and in which order to read the books! Thanks, peeg, for letting me know about this thread. :)

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Apr , 2005 4:27 pm
Another bright red day

I was poking around the internet, and found there is a Terry Pratchett musical premiering in Edinburgh this August. Has anyone heard about this? Clicky!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Apr , 2005 8:58 am
You Tolkien to me?

No problem, Silwen. You would have found it eventually, whether i pointed it out or not ;)

BTW, speaking of Small Gods, i have to say i didn't much like it when i read it at first. It seemed to have too many opinions about religion and gods which i don't agree with. But the stuff about philosophers was so accurate and funny it made the book better. Om was pretty funny too. :D

Er, Mossy, the site says that Pratchett came for last year's Edinburgh book festival. Or do they have the same venue this year?

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Apr , 2005 3:11 pm
Another bright red day

I don't know. . . I didn'yt really look. I was supposed to be doing homework, so I figured I'd let someone else look. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 6:03 am
Sharpe-sighted

peeg wrote:
Oh yea, and Areanor, wish i could make a list of the TP books i DON'T have. Currently the only ones i own are Jingo and The Last Continent. What can i say? I'm poor ;)
:P Well, if you could convince your parents to let you give out your adress we could change that. Meanwhile - you've got to wait.... :hug:

Small gods... I have to read it again. I didn't like it at first - too religious. But I liked Lu-Tze and the Turtle. Maybe it is because I only own that one in german. Usually I try to get them in english, but the row behind me in the shelf is very mixed. Some are in german and some in english, which is a bit annoying when reading through them. (e.g. in german Vimes' name is translated to Mumm..... and more like that)

And don't forget the profile for Gaspode !!!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 1:36 pm
You Tolkien to me?

Profiles....that's right, i almost forgot!! Okies, then, here's Vimes:

His Grace the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes was first seen lying in a gutter at the start of Guards! Guards!. Since then, Sam Vimes's fortunes have changed dramatically. He started out a lonely drunkard, in charge of a Watch that most people pretended didn't exist. Now he is married to the richest woman in Ankh-Morpork, holds a position of influence in the city, and has just been proclaimed a Duke by the Patrician. Despite despising dwarfs, trolls, Assassins, monarchy, the Patrician and the undead, Vimes is generally fair in his policing - and he always gets his man, woman or golem, even if it sometimes takes a while. He is respected by all the Watchmen, and has a rare talent for upsetting important people, which is perhaps why Vetinari likes him so much.

:D

famous Vimes quotes to come. You're turn Areanor....do someone, or find a profile from somewhere =:) :D

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 9  [ 169 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
Jump to: