board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web
It is currently Sat 24 Feb , 2018 2:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan , 2018 3:47 pm 
Aspiring to heresy

Yeah, I think the original BBC radio play was the best of all the versions of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

Too bad they ended on a cliffhanger :x I think another season must have been planned, but other things got in the way.

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan , 2018 4:56 pm 
of Vinyamar

Yeah, the Radio Play was the original format of Hitchikers, the books came after.

There's the full cast BBC Radio Plays which I adore, and then there's a sort of half way house where you have a full cast reading of an abridged (or unabridged) version of the novel, with sound effects sometimes. My least favourite is unabridged readings, with the sole exception of Martin Shaw's unabridged reading of The Silmarillion, which I believe is the best way to approach that particular book. Reading a book is a very different experience to listening to one read, and in those cases I prefer an abridged reading, like Tony Robinson's versions of the Pratchett novels.

I have a pretty large collection of all types, from the full cast BBC LotR, to the small cast Big Finish Audio Productions of Doctor Who, to the Philip Pullman novels with full cast (both radio play and unabridged cast reading) to the Terry Pratchett ones. I'm happy to share if anyone is interested. I've a pretty extensive collection.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan , 2018 5:03 pm 
A green apple painted red

Incidentally, I believe the radio play of Good Omens is currently available on the BBC player.

PS: and in the first episode, the two policemen, Neil and Terry, are voiced by the actual Neil and Terry.

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan , 2018 10:17 am 
of Vinyamar

Its a great production. I think I shared it here before actually?

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan , 2018 11:15 am 
Aspiring to heresy

I think you did - I remember that one.

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan , 2018 3:27 pm 
A green apple painted red

I think you did, too.

It's good. The inherent problem with adapting something written by Pratchett is that the best parts are often in the narrative, which doesn't make it into the play. Like the story of Sister Mary Loquacious.

Quote:
“She’d stopped reading the kind of women’s magazine that talked about romance and knitting and started reading the kind of women’s magazine that talked about orgasms, but apart from making a mental note to have one if ever the occasion presented itself she dismissed them as only romance and knitting in a new form.”

And then she started reading magazines about investments.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9