board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Hunger Games Trilogy (spoiler free first post)

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
TheMary
Post subject: The Hunger Games Trilogy (spoiler free first post)
Posted: Mon 25 Oct , 2010 7:08 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Yes that's right it's all the rage! Being compared to Twilight except The Hunger Games is well written, the female protaganist isn't a twat, and the last book in series hasn't made me want to vomit set it on fire and slap a baby.

But I digress.

The Hunger games is very similar to Battle Royal which was a movie in the 90's and also a super violent and sexually explicit manga series about kids chosen to participate in a game that takes place on an island where they have to kill one another while it's televised for their nation to watch. The Hunger Games is not sexually explicit but it is about selecting kids to be in a televised blood bath as a reminder of what happens when people try to revolt against the government. There are 12 Districts most are poverty stricken but each has it's own niche, out herione Katniss is from District 12 known for it's coal mines.

Just be warned that if you are going to be put off by kids in battle do not read this series and once you start be prepared to go the distance because it's hard to put the books down.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games Trilogy (spoiler free first post)
Posted: Fri 29 Oct , 2010 6:03 am
Another bright red day

THIS IS FILLED CHOCKFULL OF SPOILERS. FILLED!!! LOTS OF SPOILERS!!

I finally gave in and read these books. I wasn't expecting a lot. Now I am obsessed. I was literally up at night thinking about these books. The Hunger Games in particular would not let go of my mind. I love the world she built. The whole concept of the 13 districts + capital, with the intervening darkness, is brilliant. I actually wish she'd used it more.

I didn't always like Katniss. She made weird choices and was all over the place in a way that I couldn't always respect. That said, she was well drawn and I did respect how aware of her flaws she was. The fact that she wasn't drawn as this perfect child savior was one of the reasons the books worked for me. I was also really relieved that she didn't end up being THE SAVIOR of the districts, but was really just a symbol. I cheered for her when she shot Coin, but that she ended up ostracized and imprisoned was so much better as an ending than having her feted as the hero of the revolution.

Speaking of which, I thought the revolution and the games were really well written, especially in how morally ambiguous the rebels and 13 in particular ended up being. Most of Catching Fire was kind of bland. I got bored with the love triangle pretty much after Hunger Games, but it was resolved in a very fitting way. I really thought one of them was going to die, but that actually wasn't a cop out at all and made sense characterwise and thematically. I do wish she'd resolved Gale as character, though. He was so badass! And then he became...a bureaucrat? I don't even know.

Anyway, I still think about these books even though I finished them a couple weeks ago. The prose wasn't spectacular, but the characters and the world were so compelling. I lost a lot of sleep over them, between being unable to put the books down to go to bed and then just thinking about them anyway. Obviously I have thoughts. I can have more, but I'll stop here.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: