New non-Harry Potter book by J. K. Rowling

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Jude
Post subject: New non-Harry Potter book by J. K. Rowling
Posted: Thu 12 Apr , 2012 8:13 pm
Aspiring to heresy

J.K. Rowling reveals 1st post-Potter novel details
Quote:
J.K. Rowling's follow-up to her smash Harry Potter book series will be a novel for adults entitled The Casual Vacancy, the British author and her publisher have announced.

Little, Brown Book Group revealed on Thursday that Rowling's new book will be published worldwide in English on Sept. 27 in multiple formats, including hardcover, e-book, downloadable audio and on CD.

The novel is said to take place in a seemingly idyllic British town called Pagford, where the unexpected death of a parish councillor leaves the community in shock and also sparks an election that proves to be "the biggest war the town has yet seen," according to the publisher.

Little, Brown also described the book as "blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising."

The Casual Vacancy is Rowling's first novel for adults.

Rowling's seven-book Harry Potter series became an international phenomenon and made her one of the world's best known and richest authors.

Published over a decade starting in 1997, the books sold more than 450 million copies worldwide, set numerous sales records, were translated into more than 70 languages and spawned a blockbuster film series.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject: Re: New non-Harry Potter book by J. K. Rowling
Posted: Thu 12 Sep , 2013 7:17 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So did anyone besides me read it?

Warner Bros. has just announced that they're making a TV series based on it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 12 Sep , 2013 8:50 pm
of Vinyamar

I'm more interested in the Newt Scamander Movie! :)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 13 Sep , 2013 3:41 am
A green apple painted red

Oh, I didn't hear about the Harry Potter spinoff. I heard about the mystery novel, and its "discovery" but haven't read it.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 13 Sep , 2013 8:59 am
Aspiring to heresy

I think the Harry Potter spinoff was only announced yesterday. "The Casual Vacancy" is actually a different book than the mystery novel she published under a different name. It was actually quite good, but it could not be more differerent from the Harry Potter series.

I haven't read the mystery novel yet, but I do intend to.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 13 Sep , 2013 8:18 pm
You are hearing me talk

My wife read it and shares your opinion. I haven't (and therefore have no opinion, though I guess that doesn't strictly need to be an impediment).

Edit: That actually referred to the mystery novel she wrote under a pseudonym. She's been busy, huh?

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 13 Sep , 2013 8:33 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Trying to decipher your post, I surmise that: your wife's opinion of the mystery novel is the same as my opinion of The Casual Vacancy.

Did I get that right?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 13 Sep , 2013 8:44 pm
You are hearing me talk

Correct (I assumed "The Casual Vacancy" was the mystery novel and commented accordingly; then went back and read more carefully). You must be a computer programmer or something. :)

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 25 Apr , 2018 5:34 pm

I've heard that the mystery novel isn't bad.

On the other hand, I finally read The Casual Vacancy and have to disagree with those who liked it. I thought it was a tiresome book full of gratuitous efforts to shock us and prove that Rowling can write adult fiction - provided "adult" is equivalent to 100% dysfunctional families, lots of swearing and constant references to male/ female sex organs. (when an author's casual description of a fat man opening his shop includes a mention of his penis, she is trying way too hard to overcome her image as a children's book writer.)

To be perfectly honest, I read the first quarter of the book, then dipped ahead to see if the rest was just as full of unpleasant, nasty, gossipy characters. Given that the pages I randomly picked included a rape, self-mutilation, heroin use (these 3 events involving 3 different characters) and lots of ugly and juvenile behavior by the average citizens of this town, I checked some reviews to see if there was any point to continuing. They seemed to be equally divided between people who hated it (several mentioned wanting a shower or being depressed afterward) and people who loved it. So I decided I fell into the former category and didn't waste my time with the rest.

Luckily, I only spent a dollar on it. :)

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: