The Last Homely Site on the Web

b77ers' Tolkien Art?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Leafy
Post subject: b77ers' Tolkien Art?
Posted: Tue 02 Aug , 2005 9:32 pm
Lying among the Daisies

I'm sure at least some of you have tried your hand at depicting scenes from Tolkien, and i'm hoping that by starting this thread, some of you will lay modesty to the roadside and post it. If you've posted art on TORC, then i probably haven't seen it, so why not post it here too? I'd love to see what you guys can do. :) Look, i'll even start us off. I did this about a month ago:

[ img ]

~Leafy~

Let's get Fizzical

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 02 Aug , 2005 10:00 pm
of Vinyamar

That's beautiful Leafy. Is it a pencil sketch?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 02 Aug , 2005 11:21 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Wow Leafy! I had no idea you are an artist? Have you studied it in school?

Excellent job with the folds of the sleeve...as well as the chair in the background...and hands...hands are hard!

All I've done is some of his emblems. I had started on a random elf, but haven't been working on it. :oops: I suppose I could show what I have done....which is not much.

[ img ]

I've actually done more since I last scanned it. I'll update.

Here are my emblems which you all should have seen on b77 before:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
jeanelf
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 03 Aug , 2005 1:57 pm

Wow, Leafy, that is really beautiful! :cheers: I've never done much art except for a white tree I painted on the wall of my home office (was obviously going to have a LOTR "theme")....doesn't really count as "art!" Not half as talented as you are. I just sold my home this year...wonder what the new buyer thought it was!! :LMAO: When I was at TORC I did pen a bunch of corny poems that I'd post for my nieces' and nephew's enjoyment...they got a kick out of them, but they weren't too great either.

Eruname, love your emblems as well....I think they'd make beautiful designs for some stained glass or suncatchers!! :cool:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leafy
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 10 Aug , 2005 11:20 pm
Lying among the Daisies

Hands are devilish bastards aren't they Eru? Hair is difficult too - takes me ages because i can only make it work if i draw individual hairs swooping down the whole length. I think the hair on your elf works perfectly. :) Actually the thing i found most difficult in this piece was the folds in the cream fabric where she is sitting. I ended up using a mixture of yellow, grey, purple and brown to try and get the effect - i mean really, what colour is shadow of cream?? It was also difficult to give the impression of the sofa sinking under her weight.

I did mine with average joe coloured pencils from WHSmith, but i don't think the scan is particularly good.and i'm really no artist: i haven't *studied* it since i was 14, and even then the lessons weren't really helpful - just a chance to practice. Since then it's been purely a hobby, and i only do one or two pieces a year. I do regret dropping Art for geography at GCSE level though - i was told i would get an A*, and it would have been far more fun than the infinite boredom that i suffered in Geography (and i only got an A ;) ). I have a couple more similar pencil sketches that i haven't scanned, but they are only loosely related to Tolkien - ie random elves and faeries. When i get a minute, i'll scan them in and show them to you. Actually, the scan of this piece isn't brilliant - some of the finer detailing and shading is lost, and the original colours are a little deeper.

How cool is that white tree jeanelf?! Is the colour on the wall really purple fading into blue, or is it just the photo? Either way, it's simply fabulous. :D When my room was decorated, i deliberately painted a wall white, because i have an amazing artist for a friend, and i was dead set on commissioning her to paint a mural of Rivendell on that wall, so when i woke up in the morning i could feel like Frodo in Many Meetings! (I'm not a geek, i swear :oops: ) However i never got round to it, but your office has reawakened my resolve for it to happen. :D

I also especially like your Luthien emblem Eru - I love pencil drawings, and you do the intricate detailing and shading so well. It would definitely look beautiful on stained glass. :)

~Leafy~

Let's get Fizzical

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 3:48 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Cool artwork, you guys!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler. :(

How do you get the picture in your head of what you want to draw? That seems to me like it would be the hardest part.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 4:24 am

Very cool tree jeanelf! :D

Anyway, here's the scan of the little bit I've done on the drawing:

[ img ]

My scanner sucks too Leafy, so I can sympathize with details being lost. Also the colors are wonky. Her skin isn't that peachy...it's more pale. For this drawing I've used nice colored pencils, Caran d'Arche. Nin sent them from Switzerland. :D

As you can see I got stuck on the hands. Iavas is a great artist so I had him work on them. I'm still not happy with what was drawn. I think I need to try to curl the hand up...though he'll probably have to draw that as well. He helped me with the nose and the mouth. I did a bit of tweaking on them, but he helped me get the general shape. He also supervised my shading. :P I'm very good at blending colors (like the Luthien emblem) but I'm not good at giving something depth. But I've taken no art classes so that's not a surprise. ;) Thanks about the hair. :) It's not quite right (the dark parts should really be the shadow) but it works well enough. I felt good about it. :)
Quote:
what colour is shadow of cream??
How colors work is odd. A lot of times when I'm trying to change the color of something in a photo in Paintshop, I find that I have to use a color that I wouldn't have thought would work. To make green have more depth and look more green it helps to add blue.

I bet you could have done pretty well if you would have kept on taking art. You really have a talent for it. :) I'd very much like to see more of your drawings.

I do have to say this thread has made me want to get back into my drawing. That's a good thing. :)
Jn wrote:
How do you get the picture in your head of what you want to draw?
Err...I don't. I'm AWFUL at visualizing things. I have to have something to look at. For my drawing, I've based it off another's artwork. :oops: I've taken the same stance but tried to make my own eyes, nose and mouth. It's not very honest, but it's all I can do.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 12:32 am
wencherific

Here are my attempts so far, as far as LotR goes...

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

My nitpicking...I want to go over Arwen's dress in the last one to get a more solid black.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2005 2:14 am
Everything Is Numb

Leafy, you did a great job shading the cream. That is also one of my biggest problems (trying to figure out what color to shade things). Eruname, I really like the smoothness of the shading on the dress and sleeve. I also like her face. It is full of wisdom and peace. Rune, I think you did an especially good job on Aragorn's tomb. It looks very realistic. Neat computer room, jean! Not only do I like the tree, but the color of the wall is really pretty.

I like to draw a lot, so I have quite a few Tolkien drawings. Some of you may have seen these before, because they have been on TORC. These are my favorites though.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Frodo is obviously a favorite subject :)

~Sidonzo

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2005 3:53 am

I finished the elf! :) The hand sucks and I had problems with the folds on the bottom of the dress (the scanner cut off the bottom). All in all I don't think I did too badly. Now to decide a background. :Q :help:

[ img ]

Full size version (Click on image to magnify it)

Rune, my favorite is Aragorn's tomb. To me you're doing the hardest thing: plain pencil drawings. I can't do one color. It's waaaaaaay too difficult. My strength lies in blending colors.

Sidonzo, I really like Goldberry! Her dress is really pretty. The Arwen/Frodo one is nice as well. Your strong point is shading...it's so smooth. You're great at it! Do you have more drawings?

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
jeanelf
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2005 2:02 pm

Wow, you all are good! I really like your drawings!

Sidonzo, I really like your little details that you put in!

Eruname, I don't see the problems that you seem to see with the hand, etc. Looks good to me!

And I agree, Amrunelen, great likeness with Aragorn! :cheers:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2005 9:35 pm

The hand kind of looks like a nub...it's also too small. I just couldn't get the shading right to bring out the knuckles and the curl of the hand. It was way too hard. :neutral:

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Aug , 2005 4:45 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Eru...... just tell me when you need new pencils.... (I love it!!!!!!!!)

I'm like Jnyusa - can't draw a straight line.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
trazzie
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 10 Sep , 2005 3:55 am

I love all the beautiful drawings here! :)

Here's my contribution...it's the only LotR drawing I've done, well let me say finished. I copied off my mousepad. :D It's all pencil and charcoal, and it turned out better than I expected. It does look better in person, my scanner didn't work when I first posted this so I took a picture of it with my digital. The hair was the hardest for me (notice I didn't have to draw their hands...;))

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 10:34 pm

Trazzie, I like that very much. :) You really capture the emotion of Frodo and Sam very well.

Profile Quote
trazzie
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Sep , 2005 2:52 am

Thank you! :)

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Sep , 2005 1:19 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Wow! Okay, so I've been following this thread since it started, and that isn't really a new reaction, but since I've been feeeling too shy to post (!) I thought I'd better give you my initial reaction. :P

Leafy and Eru, I can't believe what you do with colouring pencils. They're the bane of my life, the one medium in which I can't accomplish a damn thing. Your pictures look great! I love the folds in the red velvet of Arwen's sleeve, Leafy, and Eru, the skin tone and eyebrows are probably my favorite part of your elf. :)

Jeanelf, I love your white tree. I would kill to have something like that in my room. :D

Rune, your pencil stuff is really good. I think my favourite part is Aragorn's face on the tomb. :)

Sidonzo, I've admired your style for a while now, and as a compulsive image hoarder (I think I've probably saved about 300 since I got my new computer) I was amazed to recognise the one with the necklace- I think I saved it somewhere! I spend a lot of my time right clicking around Elfwood and the Anime Gallery, and minor fanart sites, and I only save what I really like. I wonder where I got that necklace picture from first time around? It wasn't up at TORC, was it? Or was this the first time you posted it, and I got it in this thread?

Either way, your stuff is teh kewl, and I want you to post the rest of your comic. :P

Trazzie, I don't know how you used mixed media to such great effect. When I try, it looks like I glued my pictures together, even if the media are only different grades of pencil. :P I really like it. Very ominous.

Here's the only piece of LOTR fanart I've ever been pleased with, which is kind of ironic, since it's also the only one I've drawn completely freehand sitting in bed watching Big Brother in the dark. :P I used three different shades of purple WHSmith felt tip, cheapest of the cheap. :P Copied from a lamanated image from last year's LOTR calendar, which I'd brought with me to practise hands (which you'll notice I still can't do).

[ img ]

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 19 Sep , 2005 2:27 am
Everything Is Numb

Pip!! :love: I'm glad you like my art. The one of the Evenstar is at TORC and Elfwood so you could have got it either place. :D

I really like your Frodo, very nice Anime (and I have a great fondness for good Anime, so that is a compliment :) ). I would like to see more of your hobbits because I think hobbits fit very well in the Anime style. And yes, hands are the bane of my existance! I have drawn so many wonky hands in my life. Finally after 25 years of drawing I have gotten to the point where my hands at LEAST resemble hands and not deformed sticks!

You actually read and enjoyed my comic?! :Q I had no idea that anyone was actually reading my comic. I was just putting it up because I didn't know what to put in my sig at the time. I have b77er cartoons in there now, but perhaps I can find a place in the Turf to put the rest of my comic up for you to read.

~Sidonzo

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 19 Sep , 2005 3:52 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Great pics everyone, though I wish Luthien79 were here, despite her northern British accent.

Anyone who offers me carrots during her first viewing of ROTK in Toronto is worthy of attention. I remember her in my hotel suite talking with Ted Nasmith, and she didn't realize who he was!

Oh, and she's the hottest of hotties too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 19 Sep , 2005 5:24 am

Other then Estel, of course. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: