board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Does anyone else here love books but never read them?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 1:01 am

Ah but Alatar, I know. I did this on purpose, strange as it may seem. Now that I've fallen in love with the characters, instead of reading what happens next, I will have the grand pleasure of reading about what they were like when they were younger, stupider, and in general How it All Began.

This obviously wouldn't work with all books but the Tawny Man can stand alone.

I'm one of those people who enjoyed Muppet Babies and Young Indiana Jones. ;)

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 1:20 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Well I can honestly say that I can only think of 2 books that I haven't read that I own.
Martin Chuzzlewit, and Nicholas Nickleby. Both are by Charles Dickens.
I have read most of his books, and loved them, but for some reason I can't get past the first couple of chapters in these books.
I read all books I lay my hands on, even the bad ones.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 9:18 am
of Vinyamar

Rodia, I also enjoyed Young Indiana Jones and Muppet Babies :) . In fact I love origin stories. The problem is that if they're written in a given order it's impossible to go back in time and experience that first reading without baggage. Some of Farseer is truly heartbreaking, but will lose a lot of it's impact if you already know how it all turns out. With the best will in the world you're going to be saying things like, "but I thought...."

You're not one of those people who reads the last page of a book are you...

:rage:

Alatar

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 9:52 am

No, heavens, never. :Q

Okay...the real and truthful story? My best friend was reading the Tawny Man and although she didn't torment me with accounts, I could tell she was impressed with it. So when I went to Canada for the Gathering and wandered around the bookstores drooling, I was looking for some good fantasy to buy. The book caught my eye and although I gathered that it wasn't the beginning of the beginning, I...I just didn't care, I guess. Read the first page, got sucked in, had to buy it.

Now of course I won't be able to experience Farseer the same way you did...but you'll never experience it the same way I will. I think I welcome this baggage. :P It's an either or...and were the books less brilliant I might lose in the bargain, but Hobb's writing is so beautiful that even knowing all the twists, I only want to find out about them in detail. I feel like I've seen the trailer to a film, in a way.

(though in real life I watch trailers, I avoid all reviews, and if I can help it, never read the back covers of books.)

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 10:39 am
DomiKNITrix

I still haven't read anything by Rushdie! :roll: I've wanted to for a long time now. Maybe now that I've got my degree I will finalyl have the time to read "The Satanic Verses" and "Midnight's Children".

Last night I needed something "quick" to read so I got out this tome about Germanic myths that I bought ages ago and never read. Fortunately the sections are short enough to read before going to bed.;) It was the biggest book in my "yet-to-be-read" stack, but the pile still looks very high. :uhoh:

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 5:48 am
Sorcery in Action

Ro, I think I had a similar edition... it was red and had black drawings on it... but I read it in Polish :P
Makes me miss that book... must bring over on next trip back...
What is Oxfam?

Alatar, while I dont generally do what Ro did, read trilogies in the wrong order, I do jump ahead in a book and read ahead a bit or even read the last page sometimes :P Im an impatient sort...but the books that I commit to (I am picky) hold way too much beauty and interest for me to make a little early plot revealing ruin them for me... I still read on, and find much beauty in the language and in the story. I actually read in a more leisurely and appreciative way than if I didnt look ahead and was just rush-reading to get to the main reveal :P
Im strange.
Im like this with movies too. I make a point to read reviews before seeing movies... It is rare that I walk into a movie I know nothing about... and I usually dont mind spoilers. :P

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 10:40 am
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
What is Oxfam?
It's an international chaity organisation. It helps (mostly) third world countries that have major catastrophies (for example they recently headed the tsunami releif in Indonesia). They also have shops over in the UK where people give second hand stuff (tm) and they sell it. So you can pick up all sorts of interesting books that have been donated etc.

Ro, I thought Oxfam had to come into Poland anyway?.....=:)

Silwen, when you do read Rushdie, do tell us what you think. I tried, and I really did not get on with him as a writer. I always thought 'Satanic Verses' was overblown, and gained sales and reputation because it was contriversial rather than any quality of it's own.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 6:19 pm
DomiKNITrix

Okay, Dindraug. May take a while, though, given thestack of books I have right now. :Q

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 8:42 pm
Insolent Pup

I try to finish all my books before starting new ones. The problem is that I, too, buy books and books, then start reading new ones, then....bah. Does anyone else take books out of the library and get so wrapped up in others that you forget to read them?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 11:57 am
DomiKNITrix

Avoided the apocalypse! :cool:

As I feared teh local bookshop was selling cheap English books again this week and a friend of mine was mad enough to tell me about it. :blackeye I couldn't help myself, of course, and went to "take a look", ignoring that little voice in the back of my mind reminding me of the unread pile still on my shelf. ;) And believe it or not: I really did buy only one of those English books!!! :clap:

But: I found another German book for € 1, and I finally got the "Elizabeth" DVD I'd wanted for so long. Still, I'm very proud I only bought one of the English books. :D And it was actually a French one in English translation.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 1:42 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

"People like buying books because they think they're buying the time to read them." -- ???

Gimli, I have been in your situation. And there is answer...I'll tell you what I did:

I picked one off the shelf and started reading, left to right.:)

:P:P:P:P:P:P

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Jul , 2005 8:35 pm
Not so deep as a well

Reading War and Peace, finally. And actually enjoying it. Although now I know where several popular militaristic SF and Fantasy writers have been mining their plots and characters from...:D

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject: Re: Does anyone else here love books but never read them?
Posted: Tue 02 Aug , 2005 4:13 pm

gimli_axe_wielder wrote:
I can't tell you how many books I have sitting on my book cases that have never been read. I love going to the bookstore and picking them out. Reading the jackets and finding interesting treasures, and yet somehow once they are taken out of the bag at home, they go on the shelf to be read as soon as I finish the book on the shelf which will be read after the book before it. Yea you get the picture. I don't know why. I do love books and yet I always manage to find something else to do than sit and read a book. I'm either working, online, out side doing something, buying more books :P, something. I never find the time to read. Hell, I've only read The Hobbit, LotR, and The Sil once each and that was before the films came out. I'm ashamed! :(
I hear you. I love browsing the used book stores and yard sales, and now the book-reading que is loaded up by the dozen. But finding time, or really, making time to read is difficult. I also hate it when I get to start reading a book but can't get interested enough to keep going with it when I can tell its a good story. Started George Martin's Game of Thrones twice, but never got too far. I think I should take Leoglas's approach....

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: