Prelude to the Storm; Bree 1407 - OCC

Post Reply   Page 6 of 7  [ 121 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 29 Oct , 2006 2:15 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

Ok posted! :D

So far has fairly little to do with your wonderous black paint Din but I had to 'introduce' the guy somehow :D

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 29 Oct , 2006 5:29 pm
Tricksy Elf!

I could hug you, probably should, really tightly.

Thank you, that was wonderful, and an intrigeing charicter. Will have to see what happens to him ;)

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 29 Oct , 2006 6:51 pm

You can :D I love hugs ;)

And thank you! he's a fun piece of work to wright :D Will go search for some black paint connection somehow. Any tips throw them my way ;)

edit-

Could I just ask a favor please? Is it at all possible that characters who just seem to pop up regularly or might be of any use later in the story get some sort of short bio posted? just their basic description, their attitude. It sure would make it alot easier for me at least to involve those characters in any future post :)

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Oct , 2006 12:22 am
Try to stay perky

Jae, who is the innkeep? And which is the inn?

Just feeling a little proprietorial :oops: If it's the King's Rest in Bree, then I'll have to rustle up yet another employee of Brocks to tend the bar, because Brock would never be so rude or nosy.

If it's at the King's Rest then can we treat your rude bartender as an NPC?

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Oct , 2006 10:47 am

I took him to be an NPC Imp :) I didn't specify both just to give anyone room to play :)

There are two Inns right, could have been the other one then, less friendly tended to than your Kings'Rest.

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Oct , 2006 12:46 pm
Tricksy Elf!

We sort of discussed this one when the Jae was over in the summer.

The Inn the scribe is visiting is is the 'Oliphant', its a seedier place than the 'kings Rest'. There is no defined landlord of the Oliphant yet, to be arranged. I was planning, when this was origionally conceived , that the Kings Head would be the nice inn, the Oliphant would be the quite sawdust and spit type, where people go for a quiet talk and secrets.

The third inn, 'The Star of the North', is a wilder, rougher place. If peopel want a fight, it is to that inn they would go. Not every night, but often. Its a soldiers pub, or a bikers pub. They don't fight all the time, but the furniture is robust.

(on Map for those with maps, Kings Rest is 1, Oliphant is 7 and The Star of the North is 8).

As for list of villages, there is something in an earlier post in this thread, but it needs to be updated. Will try and get that done today.

Good to see you here Impy ;)
:cheers:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Oct , 2006 12:56 pm

Thank you very much Din :) I should have put down the name of the Inn I guess. :oops:

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Oct , 2006 4:29 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Jaeniver wrote:
Could I just ask a favor please? Is it at all possible that characters who just seem to pop up regularly or might be of any use later in the story get some sort of short bio posted? just their basic description, their attitude. It sure would make it alot easier for me at least to involve those characters in any future post :)
I amended the second post, but the list is here for perusal and general muse twitching ;)

Any additions, or any you wan't to add, please let me know, pm or otherwise ;)

Quote:
The Villagers and visitors.

These fine folks are NPC's, to be used as background in the village at need. It will be updated as new people appear and will include the originator. If you do want to use them feel free, but remember to ask permission of the originator if you want to change anything major (like killing them off, or burning their house down, or turning them into Angmarian spies).

Townsfolk

Brice Halshatz.
Halfling barfly and drinking buddy of Tobius and recent incomer to Bree. He mistrusts humans, hates Cardolan warriors; his family was killed three summers ago by Cardolan troops chasing goblins. He blames the lack of respect human’s show to Halflings for everything, but likes to keep his head down.

Farmer Giles
Farms lands between Bree and Hope-in-Dinmore. He is an old yokel, has a large family, all very stereotypical peasantry. He farms cereals and cattle, and also keeps geese. A brawny farmer, aged 40. He lives near to the mill, has a wife and three children. Stocky build, balding with ginger hair and beard, dresses in simple smock and trousers. Member of the militia.
He dislikes Halflings, sees them as the trouble bringers to the town, will blame them for everything.

Faulk Fernfoot
Sixty year old pollard, who looks after the remaining hedges about the village, just like his father and grandfather before him. He has no family, his only love married somebody else and he just didn’t get around to finding anybody else.
He is a sad, bitter old man. A veteran of the Great North War, as a boy.

The Highwayman
Allegedly, he or she rides a black horse....watch this space.

Imelda Beechberry
A very pretty young woman, about 18, still not married. She has a fiancé, Harold Ferny. He is in the army of Arthedain now, serving someplace in the North. Imelda has not seen him for almost a year, she is not sure when he is due to return. She has, recently, started to fiux her attention on Thomas du Furos, the Sheriff.

Moxie Lillywhite
Thirty something village gossip. She sells herbs which she picks from her garden or the woods, her husband is a forester. Somewhat plain to look at, she always has very clean clothing, and is well known for her cleaning tips…which she can talk about for hours.

Mufti
Petty dwarf smith, paid by Arthedain to provide Breeland with arms and weapons for the militia. He is a petty dwarf, and his family are shunned by other dwarfs travelling through. He is a competent smith, better with iron, copper and bronze than steel and gold but he has outfitted the troops with spangenhelms, spears, long single edged fighting knives and arrow heads. He has also made mail shirts for a few of the villagers but this is shoddy at best.
Petty dwarf, whose people have irked a living in the coal mines and metal industry for generations. He lives in his own smithy near the centre of the village, with his wife Culfic (you can’t really tell she is female by looking) and two sons Mafit and Muffet.
They are all about 4’ tall, and thinner and more gnarled than ordinary dwarves, their heads look too big, their eyes bulge and they have wispy beards and metal singes on their hands.
He is a very skilled, but very rough smith, and will work for anyone who pays. His wife and sons only speak their own language (a corruption of Kazdul), but he speaks Westron and the language of the Dúnedain of the North (and possibly others).

Mungbungus
Usually called old Mungbungus. Human Breelander and professional bar room bum, in his late sixties, has drunk there for years and picks up all the gossip.

Patrick Stonehaft
Old sheriff of Bree, now dead. A hero of the 1399 raid, he killed three goblins who had entered the village. He was popular, but drank too much and did not take his job seriously. He left a family in the village, his wife Mildred makes bread and beer. His death is still a mystery. He died of no wounds, one night and everybody in his cells was let out and have never been seen again.

The Honerable Porkin Beechleaf
Mayor of Bree. Master weaver. He is from the Village, but travelled to the North to learn his trade in Annuminas. He is known as a fair man, and proud of his roots in the region. He is fifty two, has three sons, two daughters and six grandchildren, and is a fine upstanding member of the community.
He is famous amongst the townsfolk for his fine doublet and capes, edged in ermine.

Revon of Fornost
Lawyer with links throughout Anor to Gondor, and beyond. He is about fifty years old, dresses down, in black, with starched white collars on his shirts and a large rimmed black hat. He is very smart, and speaks or writes several languages. Generally he keeps to himself, in his well appointed house. His wife is from Southern Gondor, and they have no children in the town. She is called Micca, and is of indeterminate age, but probably in her forties. She speaks westron with a thick accent.

Squire Fennel Broadleaf
Fallowhide Halfling, and community leader of the Halflings of Bree. His family have been here for five generations now, and he is well respected. He is 3’ 6” tall, and wears a tall hat to further increase his stature. He is 47 years old, a widower with two daughters (Coriander and Cumin) and a married son, Basil who is married to Tabitha and has a new born baby girl they have called Rosehip.

Tobias Micklehouse Fletcher
Halfling, poacher and forester. He has been in Bree for many years now, and knows Chetwood extremely well as far at Archet. He is one of the few Halflings genuinely liked by many humans, and will be happy to drink with them. He supplies the Kings Head and Oliphant with game from the woods. For a price.

Malitia

Caleb Bushberry (billman), Hough Beekeeper

Towngirls

Jillian Thistledown (Jilly, about 15), Iris (her friend), Elsbeth Hawthorn (Bess, about 17), Cassie (Ben Ferny’s daughter),

Barflys

Hough Beekeeper, Percy of Fornost, Bill the Thatch.

Garrison

Commander-
Artherdain Garrison-
Cardolan Garrison-
Rhudaur Garrison-

Transients

Malwort Intropicant Lagris & Bengaria Aluria Du Paux Lagris
Cardolan merchants, dealers in fine spices and deeds of land.
They have been robbed by the highwayman.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Oct , 2006 4:35 pm

Many thanks Din :D

I think I like Moxie alot ;) she might be able to give me some ideas on how to get stains out of my robes ;)

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Mar , 2007 7:34 pm

yay!!!!!!! Din!!! You're a thread saver!!!

You have no idea what it means to me t see some movement in this forum :love: means so much

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Mar , 2007 11:10 pm
The Red Fox

:Q

Wow, you are persistant Din. I take my hat off for the second time this day.

Better get off and read your post, and see if I can kick some life into this MB muse. Since the split I seem to have lost the knack for MBRPG. Like it was the day that the music died.

Better nip off afore I get all maudlin.

:)

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Mar , 2007 8:21 am
Tricksy Elf!

I just want to get this chapter wrapped up, and see if we can get the thing moving again.

It is mostly my fault, should have been pushing in more as its really very good practice for me.

This sort of resolves at least part of the paint and goose egg situation, and #I think I know what will happen next. Just need to get the mystery packet of documents resolved now,

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Mar , 2007 4:45 pm

I am feeling sooo guilty for not having participated for ages. :oops: I need to read everything from scratch to get into it again and I hope that I will find time for that soon-ish.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 29 Mar , 2007 7:17 am
Tricksy Elf!

Hummm, I have been bad and not wrapped this one up again.

Better get working on it.

Anybody any ideas for the next plot/chapter that they want to play with?

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 29 Mar , 2007 8:03 am
Per aspera ad astra

I honestly think my RP days are over forever.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 29 Mar , 2007 8:30 am
of Vinyamar

Dindraug wrote:
I just want to get this chapter wrapped up.

I honestly just read that as "I just want to get this charter wrapped up." Talk about flashbacks...

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 29 Mar , 2007 4:36 pm
The Red Fox

Ohh no, not the charter. :shock:

Yes Din please do that if you can. I like to read your missives.

Not sure on what to write about next, I guess I'm finding my feet again with this MBing lark. Funny how moots stir up that old interest from time to time.

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 05 Apr , 2007 5:34 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Ok, that's that chapter done. Odd to think when we started out the plan was to have them done in a couple of months :LMAO:

Will plot and think some more for a next chapter. There are a fair few unanswered questions and lots of oppertunities for people to step in :poke:

Hope you liked it, and hope to see more people posting here. Really do think this is a fab chance to get people writing again.

:)

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 05 Apr , 2007 10:38 pm
of Vinyamar

Where should those of us who want to read start? How far back should we go?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 06 Apr , 2007 11:17 am
Tricksy Elf!

Read from the top, there isn't actually that much of it, it will give you some background but its not essential.

The way this was conceived was as a series of individual stories, linked through the arc of this being two years before the assult on Amon Sul by Angmar.

Theoretically, it won't be important that you know about the paint delivered to the miller, or the dodgy lawyer unless they crop up again; and if they do, its a good storytelling technique to explain why they are doing what they are doing.

Unfortunatley, we have had quite a few drop outs from the writing, but there is a lot that can be done with it I think. Hope. :)

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 7  [ 121 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Jump to: