board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Roleplaying for Dummies

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Alatar
Post subject: Roleplaying for Dummies
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 12:20 pm
of Vinyamar

I'm completely unqualified to write this, but I would very much like to read it. Would someone be kind enough to write a primer for people like myself who have never roleplayed. I would like to participate but am unsure of how to begin.

Alatar

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 1:32 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Ok Alatar, we can help I am sure. One of the reasons we set up Bree 1407 on TORC was as a primer for RP from people who have never tried it. The idea is still there if you want to join in.

What I would sugest first is think about what you want to write, and what sort of person you would want to write. Then look at it again and see if other people would want to write alongside that charicter.

As a hint, super beings who are half dragons or lost love children of Gil Galad are actually quite dull. They can win every situation when they bring out thier magic power or sword. Interesting ones live by thier wits, and struggle. It is a lot more fun to write about buying a sword off the canny looking trader with one eye who doesn't speak a word of your language, than killin orc ;)

So, what I sugest, if you want too, is think up a charicter you would like to write, read the OCC to Bree 1407, and the main thread. Make sure your charicter works there, and PM me with it, and we can look and see if it will work, or how to make it work.

Then we can look at how that person would interact. Thuis may sound like lots, but it is easy once you get into it and I am sure we would love to have you along ;)

Any queries, just ask ;)

And thanks for starting thsi thread :D

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 11:01 pm
of Vinyamar

Ok, I'll have a look at the thread and see if I can get a feel for it.

Thanks,
Alatar

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 9:35 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Alatar, I remember three years ago making a post on TORC asking what RP was and how could I get involved. The last creative writing I'd done was at school so perhaps you have a head-start on me there! :D

There are a few hints and tips to be gleaned from reading this thread. You may also find the TORC RP FAQ, which Erinhue and Wandering put together, of use.

Also I cannot encourage you enough to come and post in the Orphans and ask that group of posters as many stupid questions as you can come up with. :)

It would be great if you do fancy joining us in 'Bree'. Things have been slow - we stupidly started the thread less than a week before Lidless was banned and you-know-what did some fan-hitting. :P However, the thread was designed for people who're new to this sort of RP. :)

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: