The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Bookshop

Post Reply   Page 10 of 12  [ 238 posts ]
Jump to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2005 4:46 pm
The Woman who Knows her Vegetables

Penguin made a point of listing all Updike works in Penguin edition somewhere on the first five pages, that`s the only reason I know of it :D

I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 21 Aug , 2005 12:03 am
DomiKNITrix

You know, I'm really starting to like this book. Had no idea was in it! ;)

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 21 Aug , 2005 8:39 am

:D :D :D glad you like it

I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 21 Aug , 2005 12:09 pm
DomiKNITrix

Oo, I made a spelling mistake up there. (Okay, it was 3 AM :tired: ). What I meant was: I had no idea I was in it!

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 21 Aug , 2005 2:06 pm

hmm...I thought it was WHAT was in it...I was in it works much better :love: can you now understand my enchantment?

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 21 Aug , 2005 2:19 pm
DomiKNITrix

:D

My name is not all that common, so I was very chuffed to find it in this book, and the characterisation sounded very accurate as well;) :

" ... And your daughter's very gifted, and it will be fine. You'll see."
He's gaping at me. "We don't have a daughter. Just - Colin."
"But you will. Her name is Nadia."

She's an artist too.:D

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 21 Aug , 2005 4:57 pm

aaaaaaaahhh, don`t you just LOVE it :D
just after reading that tiny bit of quote I want to read it again....and now images are flashing in my mind ;) :)

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Aug , 2005 11:26 am
DomiKNITrix

Only 200 pages to go now, approximately! It is a good book, though I have no idea yet how I would comment on it onc eI'm done. My edition has a reading guide in it, so that might help. ;)

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 29 Aug , 2005 8:31 pm
DomiKNITrix

Great avatar once again, Gal!

I finished Niffenegger's book today in our garden.:D I liked it, though I don't suppose I would count it among my absolute favourites, but I am glad I got it. Maybe if we discuss it here I will see things that had had totally passed me by. I love that! I also read the included reading group guide, but it wasn't useful at all, in my opinion.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 Aug , 2005 6:22 am

I didn`t have the reading guide in mine, but I probably wouldn`t read it even if I had...

so what would you say is the thing that is making it not as good...to be your absolute favourite, I mean?

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 Aug , 2005 1:19 pm
DomiKNITrix

It's hard to say. I think most importantly it is not as poetic as I like my favourite books to be. The language is very normal, which makes sense for the book, but I like more poetry in it. The language keeps you at a distance a little, which keeps me at aleast out of the story as a reader. You observe it all, but you cannot get as involved as in many other novels about such a strong love.

It is a book about time and distance related to time and time travel. Maybe it was intentional to keep the reader distanced as well, but I wouldn't think it necessary.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Sep , 2005 10:30 pm
DomiKNITrix

Got "If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things" today. First have to finish the last chapters of "Through the Looking Glass" now before I go on to read "Bridget Jones's Diary", I need something amusing to read. Then I will read "Remarkable Things."

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 5:41 pm

ah, Through the looking glass, brings forth lovely memories :)

about TTW: I just "read" books so differently then you...I `m a very visual type with very active imagination which makes the language of the book not as crucial in my perception of it....basically, it has to be enough to rouse my interest in the book, but after that...every line I read, as soon as I read it, transforms into a vivid imaginery of my mind, and as the story progresses so does the continous mouvie in my head, and once it gets started the language really has minimum impact because whatever the story might be "lacking" in language and style I make up in my visualisation ;)
everything I read immediately transforms into sweeping images, which leaves me paying very little attention to the actual language :oops:
if that makes any sense...

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 6:03 pm
DomiKNITrix

Yes, it does! :)

It is true, I pay far more attention to language than anything esle. That is why not all types of books are fit for me. I must admit I have trouble envisioning things I read, I find it rather difficult to do. I don't like long descriptive passages in books for that reason, and even while reading LOTR I only quickly read those bits because I knew I wouldn't be able to actually "see" it in my mind, so why waste time and read it slowly? :blackeye:

I am going to finish "Bridget Jones" tonight and have changed my mind about the next book. I will be reading "Chocolat" instead because I finally got it from ebay and feel lik reading it much more. The language, as far as I can tell from the books opening, is more to my liking.:) I didn't know when I watched the film that it was actually based on a novel. But as soon as the voice over was heard at the start of the film I thought, "This soudns like it is the beginning of a book!" And so it is.:D

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 6:19 pm

mmmm, I might pick that up...I LOVED the mouvie, never felt particularly inclined to read the book, partly I think because the mouvie was very much my style in terms of visualisation ;)

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 6:22 pm
DomiKNITrix

Yes, it was beautiful.:)

And I always wanted to have my own chocolaterie! :bawl:

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 6:44 pm

isn`t that like a dream job....owning your own chocolaterie in one room, and bookshop in another :love:

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 6:46 pm
DomiKNITrix

:Q

*THUD*

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 6:50 pm

granted, there would have to be extra precautions so the chocolate doesn`t get into, or unto the books :D chocolate free bookshop :blackeye:

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 7:01 pm
DomiKNITrix

No, it's lovely! Reader should be allowed to sit and eat chocolates while reading.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 10 of 12  [ 238 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
Jump to: