The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Bookshop

Post Reply   Page 11 of 12  [ 238 posts ]
Jump to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 7:05 pm
The Woman who Knows her Vegetables

hmmmmmmm, I`m thinking more along the lines of spilled hot chocolate driping of the tables and comfy armchairs trouble....sticky book covers due to silky pralines fillings and such ;)

I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 7:07 pm
DomiKNITrix

yes, I know. But I am willing to take the risk. We'd just need to keep an eye on the people. ;)

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Sep , 2005 7:22 pm

the atmosphere of the place will, no doubt attract the true book lovers, those who wouldn`t dare to desanctify to magick of The Books :P

sigh....truly a dream job :D

I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 20 Sep , 2005 7:38 pm
DomiKNITrix

I have just begun reading another book you recommended, Gal: "If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things" and so far I really love it! It is beautifully written, and his style is like mine - only better. :D Will be reading some more tonight.

His style is reminiscent of film, he describes scenes like you can actually see them as in films. Is that something that appealed to you a lot, knowing how you read? For me it is the language he uses to do this and the atmosphere he creates that make me love the book so far.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 21 Sep , 2005 7:12 pm

it was mostly the atmosphere in that one...there`s a certain serenity as an underlying feeling in it all....I kept seeing scenes in slow motion :)

after a few trial runs -reading a few pages and then abandoning- I finally, started Updike`s "Seek my face" ....it didn`t appeal to me at all, when I was starting on it few times in the past....but for some reason, I really got into it reading it today on the train...
I`m not sure where to put it yet, but I`m attracted to the reminiscence of forties "American Art" movement...and the scrutiny with which the young journalist is observed, justly so...
-the scene is basically a young female journalist interviewing a woman artist, told from the perspective of the artist-

I guess I can relate very much... to the magick of the era she`s painting with her words, her views on the today`s generations, the passion with which she approaches art...the way the paint hardens on the canvas....the process of art....of creation...........of the self

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 21 Sep , 2005 7:26 pm
DomiKNITrix

McGregor's book gave me an idea for a new story today. I wrote the beginning, which is also the end, already. Do you remember the scene somewhere in the first quarter of the book where the old couple remember the day they got married and they just sit in bed looking at the certificate on the dresser? That was very inspiring.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 21 Sep , 2005 7:59 pm

mmm, vaguely...but yes :D

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 23 Sep , 2005 6:07 pm

finished half an hour ago....and still not sure where to put it exactly :scratch:
I guess it`s one of those novels after which just the essence remains, an atmosphere...the way you felt while reading it
and that essence is insipiring, offering certain serenity, perhaps even comfort.....

leaves me quite inert to updike, though ;)

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 23 Sep , 2005 6:16 pm
DomiKNITrix

I know. I dont think I'd read his books again unless someone recommended something, saying it's defionitely my cup of tea - which I doubt very much ever happen.

Just got "Wicked" sent to me today, but I can't read it before I finish the current book. I'd be done with it already if i weren't online all the time. :blackeye: But at least I am doing something useful at the same time: I am doing some x-stitch for a friend for Christmas.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 23 Sep , 2005 6:52 pm

that sounds interesting----the x-stich

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 23 Sep , 2005 6:59 pm
DomiKNITrix

Nothing big because I need to finish it in time for posting in October. It is only a small sunflower with her initial intertwined in it. I want to frame it or her too. It's almost done. It's only a day's work.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 23 Sep , 2005 7:26 pm

:) still....I don`t have the patience neccesarry for that kind of work....

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 23 Sep , 2005 8:31 pm
DomiKNITrix

Wonderful avatar!

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 23 Sep , 2005 8:34 pm

I`m crazy about her art.....this isn`t my favourite but it`s how I feel right now

http://www.lorettalux.de/

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Sep , 2005 8:33 pm
DomiKNITrix

I took a look at the pictures. They aren't my kind of art, but I can see the fascination in them.

I finished McGregor's book yesterday and I really liked it very much! I am not too sure about the ending, though, you know: seeing who really dies in the end. It seems a bit too deus-ex-machina like, but then again it does go with the rest of the book, the remarkable. I still think that the ending could have done without this surprise, but it's not too bad and does not really ruin the story.

Only some hours after reading the book did I realise how mayn twins there are in the story! Three pairs!

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Sep , 2005 9:51 pm

hmmm, the ending wasn`t such a surprise to me...not really
it was more like an elusive answer on the tip of my tounge, and the author pinpointed it for me, causing me to go "Aha!"

that`s what I love about it, although it really isn`t my style, the way he shows the remarkable in "ordinary" things ;)

and yes, the pictures are an acquired taste :D

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Sep , 2005 10:05 pm
DomiKNITrix

:D McGregor's style is just the one I like in books.

Right now I am reading "Wicked" that so many people are talking about, even in this forum. I had seen the book in the US but didn't get it because I had never heard of it. I was attracted by the cover, but that was certainly not reason enough to buy it in the end. So when I got back to Germany I heard more about it from American friends who were crazy for this book and then I found a second-hand copy I simply had to get. I am glad I did because so far it is already very good, and I have only read the first few chapters. I will be getting right back to it soon.

What surprised me was that the book is already 10 years old and I had never heard of it here. It does not exist in German translation, so that does not surprise me, but it still is strange. I think there are no references in the book that would be lost in translation. The only reason I can think of why it isn't available here is that the Wizard of Oz that it deals with is not as popular here as it is in the US.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 28 Sep , 2005 1:46 pm

hmmm, I haven`t actually heard of it....
I will have to look into it

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Oct , 2005 8:18 pm
DomiKNITrix

Well, I finished it just now and am not too impressed. I have the impression that the man can't write. There is not enough tension, and he certainly knows how NOT to create any. His fictional world is not consistent, which is sometimes even obvious in his choice of words. For instance, I was surprised the characters knew the word grafiti, but had not heard of a telescope before. Lots of important events were only reported briefly and insufficiently in retrospect by some of the caracters, and there were too many loose ends.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 07 Oct , 2005 8:15 pm

you certainly are a fierce critic :)

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 11 of 12  [ 238 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
Jump to: