board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Free will, utility and perfection - the dialogues or Lord_M

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject: Free will, utility and perfection - the dialogues or Lord_M
Posted: Sun 24 Jul , 2005 2:46 am

Last night my friend and I had an extended IM conversation on the subject of why people turn out as they do. This comes back to some of the old issues of contention between us – free will, determinism and nature vs nurture. As the Symposium seems to be a bit sluggish, I thought that I would bring some of these issues of genuine philosophy up.

I have abridged the conversation and divided into three parts. My comments are in italics, and my friend’s is in plan text. After each section, I pose a question. Feel free to answer the questions or to make any other comment on the matters that we discussed.
Quote:
PART I: NATURE VS NURTURE

Did you have a big word document to send me? You spoke of it yesterday.
Oooooh yeah. I'll summarise -
Assumption #1: ego is how you interact with the world in every way.
Assumption #2: you inherit your ego from your same sex parent.
Assumption #3: if you want to interact with the world with a different ego, all you can really do is alter the intensity of your own ego. Like turning up a volume knob but not being able to change the song.
I challenge assumption #2: you inherit your ego from your same sex parent. The same-sex parent is a very big influence, but I would argue not totally decisive. Some things are [determined by] nature. Your same-sex parent does not totally determine the way you interact with the world - which is determined by type - nor the confidence with which you do so - which is determined by multiple factors, eg, the environment in which you grew up, your education, the qualities you were taught to value, the people who influence you.
Don’t you dare bring type into this, lol.
A discussion on personality is hardly complete without it.

[here goes a discussion on validity of inbuilt personality types such as the MBTI. It eventually turns into a discussion on people’s true nature]

From people ive known, most personal problems come from not being yourself.
Well, that depends on what 'yourself' really is.
Well, MBTI is apparently about who you really are. I mean, look at the title of kiersey's book, 'please understand me'. Psychological problems and lack of solid identity go hand in hand.
Yea, but there is more to a person's fundamentals than their type. Many problems are caused by people perpetrating the bad habits that they learned as children.

[here goes a collection of personal comments and observations and associated discssion]

What is interesting is that you make your current state seem inevitable based on your father's character. [ie] because I am X, and my father is Y, I'm destined to stuff up. You play down the role of choice on both sides.
Well that's the thing, i'm destined to my father's ego. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, in fact, I can see dozens of positives.
You do not think that your parents could have shaped you more by their teaching (either by direction or example?)
My parents did not effect me with their teachings in any single way. They complain about that to this day - lol.
How about with what they did, rather than what they are?
Oh by example, they definitely taught me - that's what i'm talking about here. I inherited my ego totally from dad.
[Is that] what they chose to do? You see, I have an alternative explanation.

[Here goes a discussion in which I tease out my theory – the way people are is a result of a) their type b) their environment/upbringing and c) their choices]

a) is totally forbidden in this assumption free-conversation

[Here goes a little more trivial discussion]

Well, consider this - a) is there, else everyone raised the same way in the same environment by the same people would turn out the same - eg: twins would be identical in character - or there would be massive personality divisions across cultural and socio-economic divides. People can change things in their lives - either with conscious choices or by determining who or what influences them.
ok, I'm going to create an analogy to respond to this statement - 'people can change things in their lives either with conscious choices or by determining who or what influences them'. Think of people as computers - when we learn new behaviours we install new programs, when we revise behaviours we update, when we make big changes in our lives maybe we defrag.
Or uninstall programs.
Yep, but say you want to change the operating system. Uninstall windows, sure, but then what's there? Nothing, except maybe bios or whatever - let's not get too technical. The point is, the basic interface you have for regulating and integrating computer programs and updates into your life - the operating system - is a piece of software that you cannot remove unless you kill yourself. In this analogy, type is a popular notepad file that operating systems trade between each other, a popular notepad file which contains the idea that there are 16 types of operating systems
The problem with computers is that they have two levels - hardware and software. A good analogy for us requires three: type (unchangeable), influences (constantly developing, somewhat changeable) and choices (always changeable and often short-term)

[a pause]

I’ve got it - a car. The body frame and stuff is type, the added details like CD players and tires are influence/environment and how you drive it is your choices: eg: if you want to drive fast in the wet, be sure you have good tires.
Car assumes free will, which is destructive to my whole argument.
On a level - and here we probably won't agree, because I consider choice to be important
Actually no it's not - existence of free will is irrelevant, why do i keep forgetting that (slaps face).
It isn't - it is important.
It doesn't effect anything.
I assume that there is that extra level there…
Yeah but that doesn't have to be 'free will' - it can just be will.
…that people can be held responsible for varying degrees for their actions. If their actions are pre-determined, then how can they be held responsible for them? There is the difference. I say that people need to, at the end of the day, own the choices that they make (damn, talking like Dr. Phil now).

[laughter]

But anyway, I say that people can change things.
Can you change your introversion?
No - but you can chose what to do with it.
Of course
Can you cnage the fact that your car's a Honda? No, but can you decide how to drive it? Yes.
You're assumign that introversion is unchangeable and who you are – ie. type is unchangeable and who you are
On a basic level, yes.
I don’t think type is relevant to our discussion.
Our discussion is about why people turn out how they are - I argue that type, influence and choice are the determiners.
[The] presence of 16 inborn personality types and people inheriting their egos from their same sex parents aren't mutually exclusive.
If you define ego as every way that people interact then they are.
How so?
How you interact with the world around you is your personality, no?
So that's how we're defining personality?
Do you have an alternative?
Hmm…nope. I'm satisfied with that definition.
Excellent - then, here's the rub. If ego comes entirely from parent and personality is ego then personality comes entirely from parent. Ergo, personality cannot be determined by nature in any way. You seem to argue that environment = everything. I argue that nature, environment and choice all play a part. BTW, I see a huge philosophical tract coming on from all this a la the Dialogues of Plato. I'll work hedons and utils in and everything [LM note: see below]

[laughter]

Yeah well the convenient thing about my point of view is that i don’t have to agree about nature/nurture. Actually, I’ll just say it's both, because it is - the ego is inherited genetically and through mimicry.
I still that that personality is a better word than ego.
Yeah - ok, let's forget ego. […] You agree that personality inherited genetically and imitatively by the same sex child, but challenge to what degree.
Indeed. And on top of that I say that personality isn’t everything - let's go back to hedons and utils.
Question 1 – does free will really exist, or are people bound to make the choices that they do by their nature and nurture? To what extent do nature, nurture and choices effect a person’s personality?
Quote:
PART II: THE EASY CHOICE VS THE RIGHT CHOICE

[LM note: Utility is the term in politics, economics and philosophy for the net benefit that a person receives from a particular action. In my theory, units of benefit comes in two types, which I refer to as hedons and utils. Hedons measure the immediate gratification or pleasure derived from something, while utils measure the net objective benefit. This is to distinguish and clarify the reason why people make choices]

What gives you hedons is determined by your personality [in part] but you can chose utils over hedons. a perfect person would not need to face that choice - for them hedons would always = utils.
Or in other words, they would be able to find immediate gratification in any long-term goal set pragmatically.
Util does not necessarily imply long term goal, simply net benefit – eg: maintaining a relationship, being healthy, being wealthy, being safe.
well that's what a util is, something that rewards you in the long-term (later) as opposed to the short term (now) - it's a hedon waiting to happen.

[discussion on utils and hedons]

I'm pretty sure what you’re talking about is basically hedons as being pleasure and utils as being the delay of pleasure for equal or greater pleasure later on.
That works, but they're not mutually exclusive. In fact, they go together quite often – eg: putting warm clothes on in the cold, getting sleep when tired, while hitting onself with a hammer is productive in neither the hedon not util department.

[laughter]

Explain to me how putting warm clothes on in the cold is both hedons and utils at once.
you don't catch cold and you feel nice and warm.
ok, I’ve realised my mistake. I've mistakenly equated delaying comfort with long term benefits, and also mistakenly equated giving into comfort with not getting long term benefits.
An easy mistake to make. My argument is this - a perfect person would always chose utils by choice because they gave them hedons too. However, it doesn't work like that in reality. We all face cases where we want hedons over utils, in different ways and degrees based on type and environment. But we can chose to take utils over hedons and become better and more successful people (when the two conflict, that is). So type and environment have their roles, but we can chose - either directly or indirectly (by chosing to change our environment and influences) [to better ourselves]. That is my position.
Question 2 – What is benefit, exactly? Why do people chose certain things? Is the hedon/util distinction valid?
Quote:
PART III: THE PERFECT PERSON

So we have to ignore comfort. Starting again: in order to be perfect, we have to ignore comfort and make decisions based purely on benefits that we will receive.
Yea.
Good theory
That requires perfect balance of personality though, which is impossible. So we must make do - so that is why people turn out like they do. They have type, they are developed by their environment, and they make choices.
what is perfect balance of personality?
In MBTI terms, being able to use every function naturally, having no inherent flaws such as greed or sloth and being raised in such a way to encourage perfection, which would no doubt involve a balance of good experiences and bad experiences to build virtue and character. OK, I'm sounding like a eugenist now or some writer from some sort of dodgy enlightenment philosophy tract that inspired Fascism or something. [Anyway], perfection [also] involves flexibility - the perfect person would be able to live in civilised society and in a savage wildnerness, understanding the differences of behaviour and outlook required.
The perfect person would be able to live in civilised society and in a savage wilderness - such a good point
What was our agreed system for receiving compliments again?

[laughter]

I don't know, but originality demonstrated above is sufficient to please me

[laughter]

Any objections to my theory at all?
I'm too ADHD to remember how it relates to my full personality inheritance theory
OK, my theory is [this] - influence is by type, environment and choice. We can be predisposed towards unproductive behaviour, but we can choose better. That's about it - taking into account that I'm refering to an objective standard of unproductive behaviour, not a type-biased one. BTW, can I save this and post in on a philosophy-related messageboard?
Go for it! I'm honored.
excellent - it shall be done.
Question 3 - Is a perfect person even possible to comprehend? If so, what qualities would such a person possess? How should people work to make themselves better?

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Jul , 2005 8:30 pm
Insolent Pup

That was an interesting read. I just want to respond to your questions right now.
Quote:
Question 1 – does free will really exist, or are people bound to make the choices that they do by their nature and nurture? To what extent do nature, nurture and choices effect a person’s personality?
I'm not sure free will exists in the sense that most people think of it, e.g. every choice you make lacks influence; but I think there may be a balance to free will and nature/nurture. We are presidisposed to act a certain way based on nature/nurture, but we still have free will to act or not act. Take a recovering alcholic: he is predisposed to drink, but by is not confined to this. It goes along with your theory, I think.

I don't know if they effect the personality, but they do aid in bringing out the personality.
Quote:
Question 2 – What is benefit, exactly? Why do people chose certain things? Is the hedon/util distinction valid?
My guess for benefit is something positive either for you or society. My guess for why people choose certain things is partially due to their predispositions, their free will, and their influences. I don't think the "why" can be nailed down to one reason. For now the hedon/util distinction seems valid.
Quote:
Question 3 - Is a perfect person even possible to comprehend? If so, what qualities would such a person possess? How should people work to make themselves better?
I'm not sure the perfect person can fully be understood by imperfect beings. If the finite can not fully understand the infinite, I don't see why perfection would be any different. Of course, perfection can be conceptualized, but that is always going to be affect by each person's biases.

People should go about fixing any negatives about them. This requires introspection and reflection on their true nature (not the same nature as the nature you used). If there is a revelation that something needs fixing, then one should do something about it. How? Depends on the person.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Jul , 2005 8:56 pm
Not so deep as a well

I would say that our bodies and brains are wired so as to make the utils produce the hedons, to a great extent, both at the level of helping to insure individual survival and that of the species.

But the wiring was made while our species was in a radically different set of circumstances from those of a 21st century affluent Westerner, and we have figured out ways of short circuiting the connection, ingenious higher primates that we are.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 3:02 am
Triathlete

Quote:
My argument is this - a perfect person would always chose utils by choice because they gave them hedons too. However, it doesn't work like that in reality. We all face cases where we want hedons over utils, in different ways and degrees based on type and environment. But we can chose to take utils over hedons and become better and more successful people (when the two conflict, that is).
I don't see how the hedons (instant gratification) over the utils (delayed benefit] fit with altruism. What happens when you do the right thing, even if you know it's really going to hurt, but you know that it will benefit others? This could apply to the sacrifices of parents (whose kids give them grief, anyway) or to helping perfect strangers because it is the right thing to do. I've subverted my own desires many times because the needs of others were greater. Believe me, there was nothing hedonistic about it, and no net benefit to me. If I consider myself only, an altruistic act is a net dis-benefit. If I consider the entire community, then perhaps the altruisitic act is a net benefit. On the other hand, if I don't act altruistically, I feel rotten and false to myself. So maybe there is a relative hedonism to it after all.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 6:43 am
Insolent Pup

Quote:
I don't see how the hedons (instant gratification) over the utils (delayed benefit] fit with altruism.
Good point to bring up. Maybe L_M and his friend misapplied hedons and utils. Perhaps utils are the benefit to all, while hedons are the pleasure for you. But wait, maybe hedons and utils can be applied to both you, and to society. A sporting event (like the Olympics) might give a lot of hedons to all of society, not just you, while building a new railroad line would give utils to all, not just you.

Does any of that make sense?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 10:22 am

Personally, I have never been able to bring altruism into my calculations.

On one hand, helping other people, if you are kind-hearted, gives you hedons. But then it may be counter-beneficial in the long term (if you help others at your own cost).

The problem with this line of reasoning is that it justifies everyone being a total bastard and screwing others over for their own benefit.

In the end, I'll probably have to justify altruism with 1) If it gives you hedons for fairly limited cost, then it's acceptable and 2) It builds relationships and goodwill, which give utils.

The only issue now is that a perfect person under my system would do nothing altruistic if they got no benefit from it, which is not really perfection.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 4:42 pm
Not so deep as a well

Ah, but altruism DOES have benefits in a SOCIETY, as opposed to an episode of Survivor. It is to the benefit of the species for social units from the family on up to be stable and functional. Altruism is only an extension of the behavior that keeps chimp tribes together.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 8:04 pm
Triathlete

A few more quick thoughts at lunch break:

How can you have any one definition of perfect? It depends on whom you are with. A perfect altruist would simply be an enabler if stuck with a group of extreme hedonists, and a waste of a good life.

A perfect altruist is one who is anonymous, and may get some satisfaction out of seeing the fruits of the altruistic acts (a form of hedon) but is not building relationships or future chips to call in.

A person who can delay gratification for a future payoff is still a hedonist, though one with a longer attention span. To answer your second question, I don't think the distinction is valid.

I'm still stewing about the idea of inheriting your ego from your same-sex parent. Does your friend mean genetically inherited or picked up by example? Does he propose that all boys turn out like their dads, even if dad skipped out at infancy, and they are raised by their single moms? How do step-parents and grandparents fit into the picture? I do know that girls tend to pick husbands that are like dear old dad (especially if dear old dad was abusive) so in a way they are acting like mom. But their personalities can still be quite different. How would you account for two sisters being like night and day? They can't both be clones of their mom.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 9:06 pm
Not so deep as a well

Ego may not be the best word...perhaps temprament? That is CERTAINLY there early, early on, before nurture can have had a chance to make a difference.

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 6:20 am

Axordil wrote:
Ah, but altruism DOES have benefits in a SOCIETY, as opposed to an episode of Survivor. It is to the benefit of the species for social units from the family on up to be stable and functional. Altruism is only an extension of the behavior that keeps chimp tribes together.
That is true, but how can that be worked into a system of individual motivations and preferred behaviour (just for fun)?
Axordil wrote:
Ego may not be the best word...perhaps temprament?
I suggested personality, but it’s the same difference.
Axordil wrote:
That is CERTAINLY there early, early on, before nurture can have had a chance to make a difference.
I agree, and I also argue that it tends to be fairly random (ie: independent of parents). My friend was presumably arguing that it is picked up through learning and example, but as laureanna pointed out, there are many issues with that. I think that he might have been looking for a scapegoat to blame some of his problems on, myself, but that doesn’t render worthless the questions that were raised in the discussion IMHO.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: