board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Ahem....real blues

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Ara-anna
Post subject: Ahem....real blues
Posted: Mon 25 Apr , 2005 5:35 pm
Daydream Believer

Which are never sung/played in the morning but late in some dark tavern/bar as the rain beats down out side.

Well last night I and some friends journeyed to Durango and listened to Kirk James (yes like the captain, except backwards) play solo....and I was very much impressed. So if you like blues, along the lines of T-Bone Walker, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Reverend Gary Davis, John Hammond and Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown, you will like this guy.

Anyway...heres a linky dink to his stuff, if anyone is interested.

http://www.kirkjames.com/music.html

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Jul , 2005 11:32 pm

Kirk James... Excellent bluesman! I'm sure he played Doc Manards in Seattle.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Jul , 2005 3:01 pm
Daydream Believer

I have his signed second CD. He is a excellent bluesman. He plays every weekend about 40 miles from me, its a good way to burn some time on a weekend evening. I really like his music.

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 03 Aug , 2005 9:59 pm

I picked up a CD of Robert Johnson's Original Takes at a used bookstore. What a good listen! Its not 'digitally remastered' or 'cleaned up' in any way, clear down to the backskip on one track. Yes, the original 78 masters ! Some serious blues here with 29 tracks for 77 minutes! You have The Cross Road, which Eric Clapton made famous, and Traveling Riverside Blues, which Led Zeppelin stole. Yes, goo dstuff here.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Aug , 2005 9:22 am
of Vinyamar

I also have a CD of Johnsons complete 29 recorded tracks. I find it interesting to listen to as the source of music I adore, but I find it hard to enjoy. I prefer the later blues of Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Jeff Healey, Stevie Ray Vaughan and others. It's like the difference between a rare steak and a medium rare. I prefer the medium rare :) You get all the taste but it's more palatable.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2005 8:07 pm

I agree sort of. Its more of a mood issue for me. I have to be in the mood to listen to the raw stuff.

And on a side blue-note, I caught a bit of the Desert Festival and you can really feel the origins of the Robert Johnson style in some of the African music played there. Its interesting since its likely the roots of both were the same, only progressing to now in totally different environments over several generations.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: