board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Anyone collect trading cards?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 16 posts ]
Wilma
Post subject: Anyone collect trading cards?
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 6:50 am
Takoyaki is love

I have just started to collect some farscape trading cards and I am totally new to this sort of thing. Anyone have any tips or advice on collecting trading cards?

I have this huge binder already and now I realize I will have to buy another one. Anyone have any tips on collecting autograph or costume crads? I am too shy to start to go after those yet.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 7:53 am
Insolent Pup

I used to collect trading cards like crazy. I had baseball, hockey, and a whole bunch of different comic, or miscellaneous ones. Get the cardholder boxes, and a maybe a binder with the plastic sheets to display your card collection. Other than that, I have no other tips. Keep the cards nice looking if you really care about them-- watch for bent edges, or tears, etc.

What are autograph, or costume cards?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 9:04 am
Takoyaki is love

Costume cards are coards that have a little bit of the costume material attached to them.

Example Character: Jool

Jool wears lots of leather ;)
So you get a little card of Jool wearing her leather outfit and a little square of the actual leather from it kind of sandwiched into the card. I have seen some Farscape Costume cards go for as much as $50 USD.
They can also be called Archive cards.

Autograph cards are cards with a character on it and the autograph of the actor who plays them. Some are quite rare, and only come with a binder.

Right now the easiest (?) ones (and cheaper) ones I am going for is the comeplete farscape in Motion set. (As you move the card the picture moves. Some even have sounds). Also, the whole quotable farscape since they are pretty.

Also, there are extremely rare Farscape ones that were for a contest that, if you got all of them, spelt:Win Farscape Cards
The letter F in the phrase was the rarest (only 50) and unredeemed F card is worth about $800 USD. Yes nearly 1000 bucks. As you can see I will beg my children to buy that for me (that is once I have children).

There are so many cards. Holy Frell!!!

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 9:10 am
Takoyaki is love

Oh I have a binder and plastic sheets already, although at the rate I am going I will need to buy more. I am considering this collection an investment, but I want to start out easy.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 9:20 am
of Vinyamar

Get out now while you still can! Collectible trading cards will suck every penny of your hard earned money. And they're not an investment. People who are willing to pay high prices for cards will already have the majority and will only be looking for individual cards, never a full set. Once you've sold your high value cards you're left with a massive collection of worthless cards. Buy them if you like them, but never kid yourself that they're an investment.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 9:30 am
Takoyaki is love

Ah!!! Thank You that is what I wanted to hear!!!! Some honesty!! Woohoo!!!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 9:35 am
Takoyaki is love

Hey so that means by the time my kids are grown they could get that F card pretty easily then right?
j/k

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 4:09 pm
Daydream Believer

Wilma,

you have kids???? I did not think that :scratch

And trading cards....sheesh I spent a bundle on Star Wars cards, have two entire sets of stuff...old and new....and learned the hard way that they are basically what Alatar said.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 5:13 pm
Insolent Pup

Alatar is right about trading cards sucking you dry, and it sounds like you need to watch what, and how much you buy with these cards that cost fifty clams. Don't go overboard.

I stopped collecting cards, except for recently I bought random packs of cards at a card show because they were cheap. Got a pack of Indiana Jones cards, mini baseball cards, and these weird ones because they were a dollar.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 6:19 pm
Takoyaki is love

Thanks. I will only stick to the cheap cards, and no I do not have kids. :)

Everytime, I think of getting some expensive cards I will look at this thread.

The main reason I am doing it is to have a display binder at Toront Trek just so people can get a look at the show. Right now people are getting rid of some of theire doubles and I have been taking them in. I have paid for some, but I think the most I have spent is for a 5 dollar card. :oops: There will be no more purchases of $5 cards. Usually I try dealer rooms when they are at the end of the convention and the dealer wants to get rid of some of their stuff.

I only stick to pretty and cheap.

I spoke to someone who does collect trading cards and they agree yet they are still buying high end cards. But she has had so many that I think she is one of those that is going for a comeplete set. I got of ton of through the wormhole cards for free.

When I was reading alot of the stuff I was stunned at how much they cost. Right now they are selling about 8 cards set for $50 USD, and it is released in August I think. I was thinking of buying but based on what you guys have said, autograph cards and all those rare cards I will not even think of. Thank You.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ugluk
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Jul , 2005 5:23 pm

I collect and play the LOTR TCG....I have thousands and thousands of cards and many binders full. :D

The only *possible* investment is buying a sealed box of booster packs and not opening it. My friend bought about 15 boxes of Magic: The Gathering when it first came out, waited 10 years, then sold them for enough to make a down payment on his house. :cheers

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Jul , 2005 5:58 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

My friends have got me into Duel Monsters, which was originaly a spoof/homage to Magic: The Gathering. I've only got the forty Max gave me for my birthday and the booster pack I got free in the DVD Katy gave me, but their collections have got to be worth a bit. :Q Max has got the full Destiny Board, and an arm of Exodia, which even on its own has got to be pretty rare. I can't believe I'm getting all awed over these little cards. Still, my dad's a philatalist, so I'm getting off lightly. ;)

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
bornilon
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jul , 2005 3:53 pm

What Alatar and Ugluk say is very true, but if you get lucky in your choice of game you might catch a wave…

I stopped playing (and collecting) Magic: the Gathering about three years ago because the group of friends I normally played with decided it was time to get lives and moved off in different directions. I’d been into it since ’94, though, and had a pretty extensive collection including earlier editions (from Unlimited forward). I didn’t buy huge numbers of cards, but did a lot of trading early on. I figure I ‘invested’ maybe fifteen hundred dollars in cards over the eight years I played (not thinking of it as an investment, mind, since my primary goal was to get kewl cards to play with). But, in the past year I’ve sold off about 5% of my collection (as sets, not individual cards) for a little over five thousand bucks. So considering initial resources expended, that in fact turned out to be a fairly reasonable return-- especially for a bunch of cardboard rectangles! (Of course, I’d probably be lucky to clear $500 on the remaining 95% of my collection…but hey, I can always look at the illustrations!)

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 3:09 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

I own about 4000 Magic: The Gathering cards but I keep them around for when people want to play me. I haven't bought new ones in... wow, a long time. I think the Urza sets were the last ones I purchased. I break them out every now and then when someone wants to play.

I probably spent only $400 on my cards, though, most were given to me by people who stopped playing.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Sep , 2005 9:01 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Found a load of cheap packs at Lyme Regis- each of us bought four packs of thirteen random (non-series) meaning we got... hn, 106 cards? Well, in the first two I opened I turned up two pieces of the Destiny Board! (It's like an ouija thing, which spells out 'D-E-A-T-H', or would, if the crappy dubbers hadn't insisted on having it changed to 'Final'. Still, if you get all five out, you've won. So... lush).

Kaiba bought the full set for Max (as a part of his shoddy attempt to worm his way into her way-too-worthy affections). I think he paid good money for them. But I got D and T in one go, and Max gave me E and promised to trafe for H. Meaning I only have one to go, and then as soon as they've left for Uni and no-one will play me, I'll have a valuable set. :D

*swears not to spend a lot of money just trying to get the A*

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Sep , 2005 9:13 pm
b77 whipping boy

*drools* over Fixer's Magic cards... how far back do they go? Do you know how much they're worth?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 16 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: