The Last Homely Site on the Web

*bleep*

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 51 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 10:06 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

That movie gets pretty racy in the middle. ;) They probably edited out the sausages too and replaced them with cauliflower.

Ach! Madeline Kahn is one of my favorite actresses. That line, "Is it twue what they say about your people?" has to be one of the zippiest one-liners in film.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Jul , 2005 10:23 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

There's an anime cartoon my friends and I follow, Yu-Gi-Oh! (apologies to those of you who've heard this rant before) and you would not believe all the things which got edited out by the American dubbers... off the top of my head...
  • -Guns
    -Violence used against people
    -Violenced used against computer generated holograms
    -Japanese writing
    -English writing
    -Mai's cleavage line
    -Hand gestures which are only obscene in Japan
    -Swearing
    -Wine
    -Human nudity, though carefuly arranged so you see nothing
    -Motives for the villains
    -Blood
    -The realistic cards- changed them for crappily drawn ones
    -Any reference to the show taking place in Japan
    -Any religious imagery, Christian or otherwise, intentional or otherwise
    -Death
    -Unmarried lovers
    -People perving on other people
    -People suspecting people of perving on other people
    -Yami no Yuugi looking annoyed (only once, but STILL!)
    -Naked holographic elves (given nighties)
    -Scantily clad holographic harpies (given leotards)
    -A scene where Anzu refuses to climb the castle walls in front of Bakura and Honda (she's wearing a skirt) but the boys chivalrously insist she goes first in case she gets into trouble; Anzu makes them wear blindfolds since she can't dissuade them
    -Anzu needing a pee
    -A line of ducks
    -Yuugi's mother
Grrr.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Jul , 2005 12:55 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Yu-Gi-What? Pips ;)

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
ShanndrahEartheart
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 03 Aug , 2005 5:06 am
The Supreme Goddess of the Multiverses

some of those edits were amusing, pips.

I love the edits between japanese and american media.

I also saw breakfast club on the television recently...and there is a moment where one of the kids repeatedly, and in an ever growing tone, yells 'Damn you!" And they edited it to 'Darn you' Given the context of the abusive father, it made the movie absolutely suck...just because that one edit brought down the energy of the rest of the film. So I mostly rent my films. no sense having to put up with bad dubbing.

Though my friend once encountered a film where 'bastard' was changed to 'you fatherless one,' Notice the difference in length of the words...yeah, it was REALLY crammed in there.

S'aimer pour nous est interdit
Impossible amour mais amour infini
S'aimer pour nous n'est pas permis
Indissiple est l'amour, c'est ce qu'ils nous auront appris

[...]
S'aimer pour nous n'est pas fini
Impossible amour est amour infini
S'aimer pour nous est interdit
Invincible est l'amour, c'est ce qu'ils nous auront..
C'est ce qu'ils nous auront appris...Appris...

-le roi soleil (S'aimer est interdit)

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 03 Aug , 2005 5:20 am
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Pippin4242 wrote:
There's an anime cartoon my friends and I follow, Yu-Gi-Oh!
Oy vey, Pips!!! I'm an old fossil of 42 years, but I've managed to survive virtually every cartoon my children have thrown at me . . . but Yu-Gi-Oh? Yikes!!! I can't imagine how someone can enjoy a show where the characters feel compelled to embark upon a soliloquy explicating in excruciating detail the weakness of his own position, his oponent's move, the problems associated with that move, the appropriate counter-move, the accompanying use of another card that makes the character's counter-move exponentially more powerful, etc etc etc. It's like listening to someone read aloud from the index of one of my wife's medical texts!!! I say again, "Yikes!!!"

;) ;) ;)

SIGNED,

NIESZCZĘSNY MIEJSCOWY STRACHAJŁO

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 10:13 pm

*admits the anime is pretty cringeworthy*

Well. I think it could have been cool if they'd done it right. What was the rant I showed to S_O earlier? "Go away dubbers! You don't even know who you're trying not to offend!"

I've only seen three and a half episodes. But I play Duel Monsters (and have finally beaten my friend Katy, who has three Blue Eyes White Dragons in her deck, if that means anything to you TORN; I'm presuming you probably have seen something about the BEWDs, since the anime seems to go on and on about the damn things. The fandom is the greatest. (Never, never Image Google Yu-Gi-Oh! without your filters on. ^_^;)

So I thought I was a fan. But in Dublin I switched the TV on, and what should I see but Kujaku Mai and her digitaly reduced boobies? And intrigued I watched on... for a start they changed her name, which I knew, but it hurt... and I was a bit sad... and then Valon opened his mouth and I nearly died laughing. It's bad enough that all the manga you've read in your own voice becomes American on screen; to hear Valon dubbed with an attempt at Cockney...!!! Think Bert the Chimney Sweep, crossed with an Australian. :help:

So, um, yeah. What I was trying to admit is... I know it probably sucks, especialy the dub. And there's no point to anything between RPG and Memory World if you don't play Duel Monsters. Which isn't a rip-off of Magic: The Gathering, but a homage/spoof.

I like the characters and the backstory. And I can't believe the voices... how they seemingly tried to translate the speech patterns of the characters by giving them different accents... Jounuuchi becomes Joey, with a Brooklyn accent, because he doesn't use suffixes in Japanese. Bakura Ryou not only loses his given name, but is dubbed with a (poor) attempt at an English accent.

And Honda sounds like his nose is full of snot. I don't know why.

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 5:26 pm
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Pippin4242 wrote:
But I play Duel Monsters (and have finally beaten my friend Katy, who has three Blue Eyes White Dragons in her deck, if that means anything to you TORN. . .)
It just brings back terrible memories of my son droning on and on for about two months about having to get one so he could beat the triplets that used to live across the street from us and would descend upon us on a daily basis like a swarm of locust to clean out every last palatable crumb of food in our house.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 6:32 pm

I got given a deck for my birthday because Max was sick of being thrashed by Katy. :D

Made up for that on holiday though... I think I ended up spending fifteen quid on booster packs... :whistle: But I got a eight-starred Ritual Monster to replace Ryu Ran as my Deck Master! And the XY Dragon Cannon! :D Now I just need the other compatible pieces of the Dragon Cannon set and a Polymerization card and I might actually have a decent monster I can summon instead of always using magic and trap cards to send my opponents monsters to the Graveyard.

:P

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 6:39 pm
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

My son got his Polymerization card at one of those card collector shops -- he was happy to shell out (IMO) too much money to get it. But it now lies dis-used in a box with the rest of his cards . . . he seems to have moved on to the on-line game of Runescape, although he ocassionally dabbles in Magic when with the right crowd. Say, he might be willing to part with his Polymerization card for a few galleons, sickles and knuts, you know.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 6:58 pm

That's probably cheating. But yeah, when "Kaiba" made his first fumbling attepmts at getting off with Max, he bought her the Destiny Board on eBay. So I can cite precedent. :P

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Sep , 2005 11:54 pm

ShanndrahEartheart wrote:
Though my friend once encountered a film where 'bastard' was changed to 'you fatherless one,' Notice the difference in length of the words...yeah, it was REALLY crammed in there.
Have you ever seen the airline edit of Shaun of the Dead? :halo:

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 51 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: