board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

O Lutefisk, O Lutesfisk, How Truly Do We Fear You!

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 50 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 27 Oct , 2005 8:46 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

<hands Prim a soft cloth for polishing the goggles>

:D

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 12:37 am

Jnyusa wrote:
I am thinking Saturday, November 5 for the Festival. Starting at 5:00 pm EST?

That's Hal's and TTBK's birthday. :) The following weekend is the moot, assuming that Liddy and Estel have power back by then. I don't believe in long planning periods so I'm thinking before rather than after.

Are there objections to this date and time?

I'll ask tinwe to put it in the first post as well.

Jn
I won't be around then. I'll be helping to run a workshop for my teacher, Mamady Keita that afternoon, and then performing at the Katrina benefit concert we are organizing that night. I doubt I will get on the internet at all that day.

But I am not a main lutefisker, so if that time is agreeable to those who are, you should probably just go ahead. :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 12:46 am

Second choice would be Friday, Nov. 4, Voronwe ... starting at 6:00 pm EST I guess to give folks a chance to get home from work and also have the following day off for those who end up dancing all night. :)

I'm not going to deliberately pick a day when I know people who've been looking forward to it won't be here ...

... in all honesty, I think former M00bs should get a priority since they are the ones who launched the tradition.

Jn

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 29 Oct , 2005 12:36 pm
WYSIWYG

Quote:
Germans eat something called rollmops ... I'm not sure of the spelling because I've never seen it written, only heard it talked about, and seen it eaten of course ... Hobby probably knows the formal name ... anyway, it's a flap of raw, pickled fish rolled into a little tube and stuck on a short skewer. They sell them from kiosks and people walk along the street eating them ...

Rollmops is the right name! :D
I've never tried one. :P
It's true the fish isn't cooked, but as it's pickled, I don't think it's really "raw" either.
It's supposed to be a miracle cure for a hangover. :D

(I thought we'd been over the m00bs stuff. :( )

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 29 Oct , 2005 12:56 pm
Try to stay perky

I am a great fan of rollmops...also of shmaltz herring...and gefilte fish (when done without added sugar) is one of the great highlights of passover for me...

Fish, generally, baked, poached, fried or sushi'ed, gets my guernsey.

So there! :P

I suspect, however, that lutefisk is beyond the pale (as is the rotten shark mentioned elsewhere :sick:

I won't be around for any extended time on either Friday or Saturday, but as I'll be a silent witness at the festival (morbid curiosity, it got me last time, too) it matters not. :)

I think that the inaugurators, for whom it has become a beloved (beloved?!) tradition, should certainly get priority consideration. I look forward to the insanity. :)

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 29 Oct , 2005 5:02 pm

I thought we'd been over the m00bs stuff.

I hesitated to bring that up, because the divisions don't really apply here. Perhaps it would be better to say that I will not consciously plan the event at a time when people who have ceremonial roles would not be here, or when people who are likely to be really looking forward to it would not be here. Those folks are going to be ex-M00bs as a matter of course.

But the weekend of the 4-5-6th of Nov is not looking so good. And I'm thinking we should just go ahead and coincide with the moot. If the moot is on, they can post en masse from the moot. If Liddy and Estel don't have power back by then, or are otherwise dicombobulated because of having to move to Georgia for a week, then perhaps the festival will soften the disappointment a bit.

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 29 Oct , 2005 6:13 pm
Living in hope

I can be here whenever, Jn, although the m77t weekend gives me an extra week after my first chemo treatment to get over things and be able to face lutefisk with no more than the ceremonially required nausea. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 29 Oct , 2005 8:00 pm
WYSIWYG

Jnyusa wrote:
I thought we'd been over the m00bs stuff.

I hesitated to bring that up, because the divisions don't really apply here. Perhaps it would be better to say that I will not consciously plan the event at a time when people who have ceremonial roles would not be here, or when people who are likely to be really looking forward to it would not be here. Those folks are going to be ex-M00bs as a matter of course.
Thanks for specifying, Jny! :hug:

I may be silly when it comes to this, but for me it makes a difference.
Of course you should plan an event so that the people who have ceremonial roles and for whom it's important can be there!
I just hope that whether they are ex-m00bs or ex-Martians or whatever doesn't mean anything anymore. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Nov , 2005 9:19 pm

The Lutefisk Festival is in Progress

Symposium.

Roadside Diner Within Sight of Valinor.

Start at the end of the thread.

Jn

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Nov , 2005 1:47 am

The Lutefisk Festival is Finished

This announcement will be consigned tomorrow to the History forum to take its place among the other memorable tomes of B77.

Jn

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 50 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: