board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Passions to share??

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 18 posts ]
eärendil
Post subject: Passions to share??
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 3:38 am
citoyenne du monde

Everyone has passions, not only hobbies.
I guess the best way to explain how I see the difference is to say that going to the cinema is a hobby to me, but that singing is a passion.

Well if some of you hadn't figured out by now then I must not be the chatterbox I thought I was :P :P...

Now, I was wondering about something a couple of weeks ago because I took one of those tests about "the type of intelligence" I have. And - how curious? - it came out that I have "musical intelligence". Plus several some people have asked me: Would I do singing for a living?

To tell the truth I never did, not seriously; once some friends talked me into taking an audition for a former version of Pop Idol - more serious somehow because it was the first of these kinds of emission. I did but never heard back of them; apart that I found it rude I didn't take it as a failure and I realised that even if I had been accepted I would not have gone.

I love singing but it is not something I share lightly; some people of my family didn't discover it before one of my dad's aunt had a massive party for her 70th Bday (like 3 years ago) and each table had to sing a song. My table - where there were my parents and my brother - offered the others to send me. In the first place, I didn't really want. That would be showing them some parts of me that I didn't necessarily want to show. Because when I sing, I can be seen in all truth. I finally did and it was great; they were all surprised really...

A passion we live, is something we can give but I've found that somehow, it's like love; you don't give it easily. There's only one person who's ever been with me when I was vocalising (aside from the people I sing with, since it's part of our exercises and it's Jae ;))...
I usually don't sing in front of small groups, least in front of people I don't know. But then, singing in front of people you know is also very frightening because you are revealed for what you truly are. When you sing, no cheating, no pretending...

Just thoughts...

So some questions for you guys:
- what are you passion(s)?
- would you do it for a living?
- what are your feeling about sharing them?

I didn't mean it to be that serious in the first place... turned out curiously :P :P... but hey if you want to share ;) ;)...

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 3:42 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

What are you passion(s)?
1 Seeing the absurb and making jokes.
2 Estel

Would you do it for a living?
1 Only if I didn't mind eating weeds on a daily basis and living in a cardboard box.
2 I do.

What are your feeling about sharing them?
1 I used to be able to do it with my friends on TORC. Now I can do it with my friends here.
2 With the right woman, I don't see a problem.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 4:51 am
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

ummm Photography.... like no one could have figured that out! :P
Martial arts would be another one. I studdied one for 13 years, but saddly I have had to give it up because of arthritis in both shoulders brought on by the training. I do miss it though. :( I recently picked up a book on Bushido though that I am hoping to study. Its the code of the Samurai incase anyone wonders what that is... I got a good solid wood sword. I think I can still manage forms and such, its just the working out and sparing with another person that I cant do anymore. I left for several years. Tried to come back and in a matter of months my shoulders were worse than ever.. its just not worth it anymore.. Im 25 and will have life long pain in both shoulders, not to mention that both of my knees have had all the insides streached further than they are supposed to or so the doctor says... means they move more than they should which makes for more discomfort.. basicly I'm just broken.. But I could kick aggies ass if I had to so i guess all is not lost eh :devil:

and of course.... HOBBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 2:17 pm
b77 whipping boy

Strong Passions (I'll have them allways, no matter what):
Tolkien
Cubs Baseball
Reading

Lesser Passions(I wish I had more time to do them):
Singing
Math (the fun, non-practical, stuff)
Writing
Acting

Would I do them for a living?
Well, if I could be a Musical Actor, who spends their free time trying to solve unsolved Math Problems or reading, who is constantly called on by Sports Writers to comment on the Cubs, and who is constantly asked his opinion on Tolkien, all the while writing a great fantasy novel...

Yeah, I'd do that if I could...

I enjoy sharing them, I figure everyong would be happier as a Cubs fan... well, frustrated and happy.... ok, maybe not HAPPY, but well, ok, just bitter... Ok, I'm bitter, all right? :doh1: :pray:

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 2:23 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

not sure mine's a hard guess :P Dancing oviously :roll: spend almost three hours a week in the dance studio and with a bit of luck even more next year.

If i'd do it for a living, i don't think so. not good enough and even though i was offered a place in a contest team i declined. dancing isn't what will be my way of making money. it's just a oversized hobby :P

my other passion is writing but this will also remain a hobby. i have almost been talked into signing up for writers class but i found the profession too risky. and now with RP i am more then content ;)

as to sharing both passion the latter i already did :P dancing well, not sure if anyone would feel as passionate about dancing as me i'd be more then happy to. so far i have yet to find that person.

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 3:10 pm
Garrulous Griffon

What are you passion(s)?
1 Writing
2 Teaching
3 Learning
4 Making a difference
5 Seeing the world through different eyes
6 Drawing

Would you do it for a living?
1 Hell yeah. But I would probably starve ...
2 No, not really. I do it as a passtime
3 If someone would sponsor me :mrgreen:
4 I do it for a living in the non-traditional sense
5 Can't really :P
6 See point 1 :mrgreen:

1 Never been confident enough to share my novel, or any writing I've done "officially"
2 I share my thirst for transmitting and contracting knowledge ALL THE TIME :mrgreen:
3 Ditto
4 Ehhhhh ...
5. Uhmmmm ...
6. Only to special friends ( winks at Eruname )

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Feb , 2005 5:31 am
Let the dice fly.

My passion? Poetry. I'm not good at any other kind of writing really...well not fiction at least. But poetry, I love.

The other day I had a meeting with my poetry professor...he read what I'd brought him, looked up at me, and said, "You know, you could do this if you wanted to." I've never gotten a better compliment in my entire life.

So would I do it for a living? No, cause I know I literally can't make a living off of it. But I'll keep doing it...I'm going to start sending stuff out for publication soon hopefully. It's my dream to be able to publish a book someday.

I guess that answers the question about sharing. ;)

To everyone in here who's said they're not confident enough to share their writing...you should be. My workshops here in college are inevitably my favorite classes...there gets to be such a sense of community in the classes, and it's really so helpful in so many ways. There will always be things you can improve on, sure, but there will also be things that you do better than most people. ;) So...that's my advice. Share!

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Feb , 2005 9:47 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

The study of history has been my pain passion for as long as I can remember. It’s been honed over the years into a horribly detailed patch of 12th century popular religion, but a new book or a visit to an inspiring site can still get me hopping up and down and squeaking with excitement.

I don’t know that I can do it for a living though. Maybe it’s better just as a hobby. ;) The only ambition I ever had was to study mediaeval history, so I achieved that by the time I was 20. There’s a desperate temptation to do some postgrad courses, but fitting that in with the rest of life would be very tricky. Besides which it’s not likely to take me anywhere other than my own pleasure. I have toyed with the idea of the heritage industry, but my experience of the bureaucracy puts me off. I don’t mind hoop-jumping in the work place ordinarily, but it would be too much to bear if it was something I cared about. So I’ll stick to obsessively reading and dressing up!

As for sharing my passion: anyone who knows me could testify that I like nothing better than to drag people round historical sites and rabbit at them for hours! :mrgreen:

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Feb , 2005 9:59 am
Garrulous Griffon

Leoba wrote:
anyone who knows me could testify that I like nothing better than to drag people round historical sites and rabbit at them for hours! :mrgreen:
Will you drag me around historical sites and rabbit at me for hours should I pitch up in England? Please? :)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Feb , 2005 10:04 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Griff, when you come to England, there is no way you would get away without spending some time being dragged to places by me. I fully expect to steal you for at least a few days. :mrgreen:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Feb , 2005 10:19 am

lifts hand
have been corrupted into loving history even more because of Leoba :P And i can testify for her shrieks!

remembers seeing a ring in the tower of London and watching in amazement how said person started copying the ring on a piece of paper, driving all other tourists away :LMAO: :mrgreen:

;)

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Feb , 2005 10:29 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Jae, it wasn't just 'a ring'. It was Ranulf Flambard's Bishops' ring which was on loan from Durham Cathedral. :mrgreen:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Feb , 2005 11:01 am

:mrgreen: it was great to see nevertheless ;)

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Feb , 2005 2:21 pm

Passions
1. Tolkien
2. Sharks, sort of... :oops:
3. Writing
4. History
5. Archery *bitter laugh, looks at dusty bow and ruined shoulders*

6. I'm not sure if I can say school. I hate it, but there are few things I devote myself so completely to as school work. "Wanna have fun?" - "No." --- "Wanna do your homework?" - "Yes, of course!". :scratch

Would I do it for a living?
1. No, actually not. For me, Tolkien is like my favourite food: eat it every day, and it won't taste as exclusive anymore.
2. "Shark expert dies happy - eaten by great white shark on her last day of work!" :P
3. Yes, I want to join the ranks of people called "authors"...
4. Historican? Sure, why not?
5. *Sigh*

6. If I ever try, please shoot me.

My feeling about sharing them?
I like spreading knowledge, so that's okay with number 1,2,4 and 5. I'd never share my writings with anyone but my best friend.

6. And infect little children with the homework syndrome? Forget it!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 9:06 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:mrgreen: Nice one Eari... and I still can 'hear' you singing when I close my eyes and think back :love:

My passion is (or rather was but it's not entirely shelved yet) scuba diving. It's hard to put it into words really. It's like being in a different dimension ... a visitor for a time to a completely different world alltogether. And yes.... before you ask, I did 'talk' to fish and coral.... and 'yes' - I'm certifyable :P

I've done it for a living - some 5 years as a SCUBA instructor in the Red Sea :mrgreen: Some of my best times :cool:
Sharing - that was part of the deal. A secret ambition to teach people and show them... and make them care.

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Feb , 2005 6:51 pm
citoyenne du monde

You know I am amazed.... I never doubted that you guys were wonderful but I really see (once more) that there are so many talented and devoted people here :mrgreen:.
Thank you all for sharing ;)...

Lidless, you’re too much :damnfunny . Only you could do that :rofl: :rofl:… And I’m sure Estel has a blast living with you; must be hard not to laugh less than 1hour a day.

Gimli, you’re living of your passion right? You’re damn good at it; some of the pics you took in Toronto and London were really inspiring ;). Loved them :mrgeen:

Halplm, widespread passions, you must be a busy man ;). And well maybe you should become a musical actor… or maybe do as some well known actors who are also good at singing; I bet Gere’s free time is spent pretty much as he wants, so writing and doing maths shouldn’t be a prob. But I guess becoming is the star is the first step :P.
And why are you bitter?? Got lost there, and I’ve read your post several times… Sorry :oops:

Jae, I was not meaning if you were good enough but if you would like to do it for a living. There are people who aren’t good at, say singing, and look they do it for a living (*cough* Pop Idol system *cough*). And I’m sure you’re good otherwise they wouldn’t have offered you a place in another group ;) ;)…
And as for writing, you’re a great RPer, I am very glad you chose to share that one. As for dancing I love watching and dancing for fun but I’m not a dancer that for sure :P. I hope you’ll find your “twinsoul” for that one ;).

Griff, I hope we’ll get the chance to read some of your work, I’m sure it’s great… maybe you could try RP if you haven’t yet *wink knowingly to RP forum*.

Elian, I’m sure you’re good at other things… but if your teacher said you’re good, then that must be encouraging even if it’s hard to be a poetry writer these days. As for your advice I followed it last night ;).

Leoba, I think I know exactly what you mean when you say “I don’t mind hoop-jumping in the work place ordinarily, but it would be too much to bear if it was something I cared about.” This is one of the reason I’ve always known singing would never be my job. I wouldn’t want to be stressed and under pressure for something I love doing, that would take the pleasure away; I know it from experience having been disgusted of figure skating by coming competitions in which I finally never went. But I didn’t skate for 6 years afterwards.
And I can also testify that you share, and it’s absolutely great to be around historical places with you; I will never see Westminster the same way :mrgreen:

Sharkey, I guess that school can be a passion even if not all of it. And sharing is not bad in itself; at least it makes it less painful for children to go to school :P :P.

Alandriel, that’s something I’d like to try if I wasn’t dead afraid of deep waters. But I can really relate to the being in another dimension; that’s something I feel when I’m singing. It’s not about me it’s about the world the song creates and it’s amazing… you’re somewhere else and when you’re done you come back to earth. And :oops: thanks I am honoured…

Well last night, I had some time sharing… With5 friends we went to a karaoke in Montreal called the “Vocalz”. It was just brilliant; just for fun. With a friend I sand “Like A Prayer” by Madonna, and “Pas de Boogie woogie” (a French song). Finally I had one of my own “When you’re good to mama” from Chicago; I was not very glad of the moment the DJ had me sing, cause the guy before me was such a showman. He had the all room singing with him and he had a wild round of applause.
But when the music started I was somewhere else; I was Mama Matron :P :P. I know some people sang the first lines with me, because I could see them, but then I was in a bubble and the only thing I saw was how to play (and *flirt* somehow :shock: :shock:) with the guys in the room. When I finished there was a moment of dead silence… weird really and then everyone applauded and yelled, even the DJ. That was amazing; loved it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:… I had a blast really.
We had so much fun. A night to remember I’m telling you. The club’s organising a contest to win 10,000$ for which my friends wanted to write me down. But I still hold on to my idea; I love singing but I won’t do it for a living; it’s a pleasure, I don’t want to get myself in a competition attitude towards it.

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Feb , 2005 8:02 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

I guess there are three other passions in my life - bridge, vodka and maths.

Bridge
There were four of us at school, lazy buggers one and all. When we hit 14 we were allowed to do any 'sport' on games afternoon. Some carried on with the traditional soccer and cricket as was compulsory pre-14. Some indulged in swimming, archery, cross-country, but us four decided to learn bridge. We could sit down during it.

We were self-taught and, to our surprise, became pretty good and played it at every spare moment we could. We reached the final of the English Schools competition and I captained the team.

My partner and I started playing at clubs three nights a week and in our first major Bridge Congress (we were 18) we came fifth out of 300. There were 50 pairs who played for their country in that event.

At university I ended up as President of the team and captained Cambridge to winning the first ever Portland Bowl - an Inter-Universities Knock Out competition. The final, against Oxf***, inevitably, was a peculiar event as most of the respected bridge writers were looking over our shoulders seeing what we were doing and scribbling furiously.

Also during that time I captained the Middlesex U25s, played for the senior team, and was on the reserve list for the England U25s.

Alas post university I have never had much time for it, even though I had accumulated enough points to be ranked 'Master'. I just played about once every six months.

If there's one thing I would adore to do full time, bridge would be it.

The only time I've played anything significant was a couple of years ago when an International Tournament was played in my home town of Amstelveen. I put my name down as an extra in case a team was a player short and lo and behold, the Dutch Second Team had a player whose car had broken down. I was in. In fact, I was the only player there who wasn't a professional International.

We came second, losing only to the German world champions. Not bad, considering I had never played with my partner before and had only ten minutes to knock out a system between us. Perhaps it helped that I was half-pissed at the time. Which brings me on to my second passion - vodka.

Vodka
Well, being the fragile person I am, vodka helped through the separation and the events leading up to it. Total functioning alcoholic. I would say that 50% of my posts on TORC in 2003 were in a state of total pissment. Sometimes I would wake up the next day and scroll through the pages to see just what the hell I had written. The only way I could get to sleep and avoid the bad dreams was by passing out.

The last time I made a post totally pissed - so pissed that my head was swaying and I had to close one eye to see the screen - was the parody in January last year about the two guards, Woody and Sparky, looking after the beacons. (I'd just met Estel but I was lonely in a hotel room in Florida - she was in Texas).

As one might expect, I grew to depend on it. Anything bad, even the most inconsequential of things, would have my brain screaming at me to drink.

It's a hard thing to kick, but having Estel around as my emotional bandage and comforter makes it easier. I'm not fully recovered, but just knowing Estel's there for me makes it a road downhill rather than uphill.

Of course, she's more expensive than vodka. If I'd known that....

Maths
Love it, always loved it, and always will. Each week I check out a problem set by a professor on his website http://bradley.bradley.edu/~delgado/potw/potw.html

Some are piss easy such as the last two but some take a large amount of work.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Feb , 2005 3:59 am
Garrulous Griffon

Leoba - sorry for only being able to check back and squeal with delight at your offer now :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 18 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: