board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Jokes...

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
TWT
Post subject: Jokes...
Posted: Sat 14 Jan , 2006 5:06 pm
Wembley bound

Most people have thier own view on jokes, what humors them, what offends them, etc. Many people don't like 'immoral jokes' many people don like 'knock knock' jokes. What exactly would offend you?

This is brought on because I was watching Jay Leno the other night and I get pissed off with his himor because he makes so many jokes like this. He talked about the woman that was found in front of her after having been dead for 2 and 1/2 years. First joke: He said when they found her they didn't change the channel because Wheel of Fortune was on and it was 'her favorite show'. *insert laughs* Then he said "and you thought your grandma's place smelt bad." After attacking an old dead woman he targeted a man on death row who was 75 years old and is going to get the needle soon. He made some crack about them killing him on an electric bed.

Personally I have a very liberal view of jokes. If racy jokes are made in movies I don't tend to mind. I thought it preposterous when people took offence to material in Wedding Crashers. When it comes to real life though I think that said Leno jokes are completely inappropriate. For one thing how the heck do the families feel when they hear this? As for death row guy, sure he's going to die but why poke fun at an old man who probably been in prison his whole life and is going to DIE. I have been guilty if reading and chuckling in the past at the Darwinisms but I think that the context that Mr. Jay Leno used his jokes in were offensive to me, I understand the humor, taken out of context it would be funny, but it wasn't.

What do you think?

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 Jan , 2006 5:11 pm

The standards for humor have changed significantly during my lifetime. I remember when a very young Richard Pryor worked clean on Ed Sullivan on Sunday evenings.

These things are hard to discuss since it always comes down to things like personal taste and what offends one person does not offend others. I would say if you do not find Leno and his material humorous, change the channel and try Letterman or read a book or go to bed.

"The worst thing about getting older is that I used to be a 38C..... now I am a 34 long." Rita Rudner

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 Jan , 2006 5:16 pm
Wembley bound

Actually I'm a big Leno fan, I've been watching him for years (though I find Conan O'Brian to be the ultimate comedian and host :D ) but Jay often throws out these jokes that I don't find tasteful.

Anyway, I've stated what I dislike what I want to know is what humor actually offends you...

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 6:32 am
pixel-pusher

TWT - I tend to agree with you. Off-color jokes don't usually offend me (in fact I try to keep a mental note of some of them :halo:). Joking about others' misfortune does get under my skin at times, not that I'm particularly offended by them. And I'm guilty of doing exactly that, at times. I think it might come down to human nature in finding humor in unpleasant situations, even if they are not our own. Of course then the question is whether or not we have the right to find humor in the misfortunes of others. Not sure... but I don't think it's black and white.

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: