The Last Homely Site on the Web

Moving to our own place - member discussion thread

Post Reply   Page 6 of 9  [ 165 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 7:28 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Hang on, didn't I get assimilated at some point?

[ img ]

Oooh, this thread is so off-topic now... :oops:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Tinsel_the_Elf
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 7:32 pm
* trolley dodger *

Oh, yes! We have also assimilated Gimli, and Jnyusa too if we remember correctly. So Vnyusanthrienselgasimli?

We sound like a Lithuanian translation for a spaghetti dish! :Q

Edit: We double-posted with Jude! Who is also... ourselves? :scratch:

:D

Last edited by Tinsel_the_Elf on Fri 20 Jan , 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omnia Vincit Amor; Et Nos Cedamus Amori

Need a Laugh? Generate a Laugh!
[ img ]
LOTR Caption Competition #24--->Sauron Gives Isildur the Finger.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 7:33 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Ooops, oops, you are right, my bad.

:oops:

Ummm...

I think moving to a new site will be fine with me.

Thank you.

And you were NOT assimilated, btw, Jude. Would you like to be?

Edit: Anthriensel, we know as well as we do that we did NOT assimilate Jnyusa. Jn is a long-time William Shatner music fan, and we ALL know that anyone entering the collective with that "music" in their memory banks will cause the collective to immediately seize Business threads and wrench them completely off-subject.

Oh, wait a minute... didn't yov state, at one point, that he liked William Shatner music?

And didn't we just assimilate him?

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 7:45 pm

You really should stop talking to yourself. It's...kinda creepy.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 7:49 pm
Aspiring to heresy

In view of recent diversions, I hereby propose that we change our domain name to http://www.osgiliath.com. All in favour? :wave:

So, this TOE thing - do we have to settle it before we move, or can we move first?

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that since phpbber can only deal with Alandriel as the admin of record, she donated her ID and changed it to *Alandriel*, and then re-registered as Alandriel. Therefore, all our dealings with phpbber regarding the backup must be done through the *Alandriel* ID, which is accessible to the Rangers. Is this correct?

Oh, and I don't like William Shatner music - I'm more of a Mahler typa guy. Can I still be assimilated?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 8:19 pm
Living in hope

Much as it pains me to disagree with Voronwë <glare>, I don't think anything needs to be settled regarding ToE, if we're moving with everything intact and unchanged, including the charter (until and unless changes are made by a vote of the members).

However—I haven't been reading widely here since before the blowup, after which I was sick for several weeks. But if there are threads in Turf that belong in ToE, they really should be put there. This could cause problems not just for people in vulnerable professions, but for the whole board, because it violates the phpBBer TOS.

< :hug: for Voronwë>

I apologize for interrupting the Borgspam. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 8:21 pm
b77 whipping boy

technically, if TOE was used as people seem to think it would be used (or even as it is used), it may violate the TOS no matter what restrictions we put on it.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 9:27 pm

Quote:
Much as it pains me to disagree with Voronwë <glare>, I don't think anything needs to be settled regarding ToE, if we're moving with everything intact and unchanged, including the charter (until and unless changes are made by a vote of the members).

However—I haven't been reading widely here since before the blowup, after which I was sick for several weeks. But if there are threads in Turf that belong in ToE, they really should be put there. This could cause problems not just for people in vulnerable professions, but for the whole board, because it violates the phpBBer TOS.
Prim, I'm sorry to keep arguing with you (I was tempted as a joke to channel Dan Ackroid in the old Saturday Night Live news shows, but I can't bring myself to say those words even as a joke), but I really need to point out that the simple fact is that anyone in "vulnerable professions" should simply stay away from board77 altogether when they are at work. I don't think a day goes by where I don't see something here that could potentially be problematic for someone in that position, and I only read here sporadically. To take today's example (one which doesn't personally offend me, so it is a good choice), I noticed *E*'s new sig pic, which is a picture of her and Mossy holding up a sign or something which says "Fuck Responsibly" (I think). Having edited that book that you mentioned, do you really think that would not possibly be a big problem for Teacher A in the situation I described before?

As for the ToS, it of course applies to ToE as much as to any other part of this site. This whole board arguably violates the ToS, if interpreted at all strictly (which they do sometimes do). I think the fear that this board could disappear at any time with no warning is a valid one, hence the urgency to move to a different server

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 9:49 pm
Living in hope

Well, you have a point there, Voronwë, unfortunately.

The problem is that teachers can lose their jobs as a result of parent objections, which can be based on things that are described in an inflammatory and unfair way. And because teachers are expected to be role models, anything that looks bad, is bad ("Maybe it's actually harmless, but think how it would look to a student who saw this!"). One level further out, you could have your contract terminated (especially a young teacher) if you demonstrate poor judgment—meaning you could lose your job because you put yourself in a situation where something bad might happen, even if it never did.

Yes, it's terribly unfair and shouldn't be that way, but that doesn't change the fact that it is that way, at least in some schools.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 9:55 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

If you are a school teacher and are posting here during the day, I have issues with you. My tax money is supposed to go to teaching kids, not surfing teachers.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 9:57 pm
Living in hope

Actually, Holby, a teacher could get in trouble for posting here from home. It's the role model thing.

Of course, they're less likely to be caught.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Jan , 2006 11:00 pm

Holby, I think that is terribly unfair. I know plenty of teachers that work at their schools until late in the evening, and even on weekends. They should be as allowed to take a break as anyone.

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 2:25 am
The Man who Knows his Tools

Teachers are also given breaks and lunches and they should be allowed to surf during their personal time.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 2:26 am
The Man who Knows his Tools

Teachers are also given breaks and lunches and they should be allowed to surf during their personal time.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 5:08 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Um, I'm bored. Can someone assimilate me?

Thanks in advance.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 2:32 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

:suspicious:

Do you listen to William Shatner music?

:suspicious:

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 5:01 pm
Insolent Pup

Who doesn't like William Shatner!

*hopes for assimilation... the new name will be weeeeeeeird*

All this stuff teachers can get in trouble for is quite unfortunate. What can be done about it? If some threads should be moved to ToE, fine, but if even that doesn't help... what else can be done? Curb racey pictures? Forbid cursing? Censor stronger?

Do we have a lot of posters here who are teachers? :scratch:

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 5:35 pm
Living in hope

I think we need to do what is reasonable, TED, which is what we've already done.

I think a little more attention should be paid to what belongs in Turf and what does not. Not just for the sake of the people I've been talking about, but because some adult members prefer not to see ToE material in the open, not least because this board does allow kids as young as 13 to join.

Beyond that, I think that if someone objects to a racy sig for reasons related to their work, the member with the racy sig should willingly change it. That falls under mutual respect—someone's serious concern for their job should reasonably outweigh someone else's right to make a dirty joke.

Actually, someone who's simply offended by a sig has the right to ask that it be changed. Up to now that has always happened without further trouble.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 6:24 pm

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Actually, someone who's simply offended by a sig has the right to ask that it be changed. Up to now that has always happened without further trouble.
My dear Prim, generally speaking, people don't complain, and won't complain, and shouldn't complain about them either, because the result would simply be a repeat of the old bickering that no one wants. What you are asking for is a basic change of attitude for this place and I just don't think that it is going to happen. Better to acknowledge that that attitude exists here and let people decide whether they fit in with it or not.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 6:27 pm

I agree with Prim...and I also think that this has, so far, happened without problems.:)

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 9  [ 165 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to: