The Last Homely Site on the Web

Wicked Through and Through

Post Reply   Page 6 of 7  [ 138 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 11:26 pm
Daydream Believer

Hey I am reading the book right now. I had no idea that this thread existed....cool book. I am a bit discombulated by the roles in the book. I am still going wait this is Oz?

I am really enjoying this thread. I don't think the play will ever be by me at all, unless of course our small community theater does it. :(

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 6:42 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Where are you at Ara? Perhaps you should make a trip a larger city say Chicago, so you can see Wicked on stage! Oh and then I could go too!! :D

Okay so I have something I'd like to discuss. I think it was Jude that mentioned he was surprised with how Nessa and Boq's relationship translated onto stage vs just listening to it on the soundtrack. I too am still a little baffled. During "Dancing through life" Glinda gets Boq to ask Nessa to the Oz Dust Ballroom. And then Boq starts to tell Nessa why he really invited her but she guesses why and then he says "No because you are so beautiful" and she cuts him off and tells him she thinks he's great. Then they dance. Boq is giving off mixed signals, did he just lose his nerve again since Nessa cut him off and he was pissed at Glinda for being with Fiyero? I noticed in the play the second time around that when Nessa cuts Boq off to tell him she thought they belonged together he looked a bit unnerved and then said "Lets dance!".

What's his deal?? I know he doesn't really like Nessa but it's like he's flip flopping during Dancing Through Life. Is he just making the best of a rotten situation??

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 6:47 pm
Daydream Believer

Believe me I would love to come to Chicago and see it. Huuuummm.... :scratch:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 7:01 pm
Aspiring to heresy

TheMary wrote:

Okay so I have something I'd like to discuss. I think it was Jude that mentioned he was surprised with how Nessa and Boq's relationship translated onto stage vs just listening to it on the soundtrack. I too am still a little baffled. During "Dancing through life" Glinda gets Boq to ask Nessa to the Oz Dust Ballroom. And then Boq starts to tell Nessa why he really invited her but she guesses why and then he says "No because you are so beautiful" and she cuts him off and tells him she thinks he's great. Then they dance. Boq is giving off mixed signals, did he just lose his nerve again since Nessa cut him off and he was pissed at Glinda for being with Fiyero? I noticed in the play the second time around that when Nessa cuts Boq off to tell him she thought they belonged together he looked a bit unnerved and then said "Lets dance!".
When I listened to the soundtrack, I had assumed that Boq was sincere when he said "Because you are so beautiful". Now, having seen that scene in Act II, I guess he said it because he didn't want to say that he asked her out because Galinda put her up to it.

Some of this is guesswork; that particular piece of dialogue is missing from the hypothetical DVD that I may or may not have allegedly seen.

I guess what I'm saying is that from the soundtrack, I took all their dialogue at face value; and the crucial scene from Act II was not included on the soundtrack, so I found nothing to contradict my assumption.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 7:17 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I only noticed the uncomfortable look on Boq's face the second time around so I was wondering if my observation sucked or if anyone else thought it was kind of unclear as well. And it's just in the one scene that it's a bit decieving. I guess I wonder why Boq even brought it up to begin with if he didn't want to really tell Nessa the truth. I guess he just lost his nerve while trying to do the right thing. *sigh* Guess I can't blame him too much ;)

Lay down
Night is falling
Sleep now
They are calling

Why do you weep?
Soon you will see
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 10:58 pm
TTBK's cemmie

:scratch:

I thought it was rather obvious that Boq was never attracted to Nessa. Huh.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 11:23 pm
Aspiring to heresy

It wasn't obvious from the soundtrack.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 11:28 pm
TTBK's cemmie

Not extremely obvious, but he sounds like it is said under duress.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Feb , 2006 3:39 am
Another bright red day

Ara-anna, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book. :) (And if you can't see the show on stage . . . well, there are ways. ;) )

TM, it probably partially depends on the actor and what he decides his motivation is there (and your interpretation). Galinda said that he would be her hero if he took Nessarose to the dance, so maybe he wanted her to have a good time so Galinda would approve. Maybe he didn't know what else to day, or didn't want Nessarose to feel bad.

Cem, I don't think it's clear at all from the soundtrack. It sounds like he's nervous and flustered, but could well be because he IS attracted to her, not because he's lying.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Feb , 2006 3:43 am
TTBK's cemmie

Maybe it's just me.

I also only heard the soundtrack once before seeing the musical.

:)

ETA: Sorry, I was being a bit of a *jerk* yesterday. :roll:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 4:26 pm

I never questioned how Boq felt for Nessa it was pretty clear he only had eyes for Glinda, but I was trying to understand his motivation for not telling Nessa the truth.

Lay down
Night is falling
Sleep now
They are calling

Why do you weep?
Soon you will see
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Mar , 2006 11:47 am
of Vinyamar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Jun , 2006 4:39 am
Another bright red day

I finished Son of a Witch the other night. A few thoughts, replete with spoilers, below.

SPOILERS

Holy loose ends, Batman! I don't see how he can not write another book.

I really liked it at first. The interweaving of past and present via the domingon works quite nicely and it flowed well. It wasn't till the end of the book that it started to go downhill for me. The thing with Candle was strange, but then adding Trism (whose name I really love) was taking it too far. I don't see the point. The baby thing was strange, as was Nor's "resolution." I'm trying to be vague, but all the things that bug me were specific, so I'll leave it at that. I did enjoy it for the most part, despite the bits that bothered me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Jun , 2006 1:33 pm
Aspiring to heresy

You can be more specific, as long as you put a big huge "SPOILER" warning at the top. I'd be interested in hearing more of your opinions.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 5:29 pm
Another bright red day

In that case . . . SPOILERS!!!!!

The things that bothered me were all because they seemed very contrived. Candle being pregnant, for example, didn't make sense at all and seemed kind of pointless. Unless he's going to write the next book (it seems like there must be one, no?) about that child, but even then it seems like there are better ways for that to happen. Perhaps it was supposed to mirror in some way the circumstances of Liir's birth? The "romance" with Trism also came out of nowhere. First Liir is trying to figure out his relationship with Candle, and then all of a sudden there's Trism, which seemed like a shallow relationship. Was that supposed to be one of those Spartan male bonding things, or was it actual romantic attraction? It seemed to be leading toward the latter.

The other thing was the Birds. I was unsure as to what they were planning on doing once they got to the Emerald City. Making a show of defiance is all very well, but then they just stopped there. It was strange.

That aside, I really liked the rest of the book. The writing seemed better and the commentary (?) seemed less forced, without all of the sudden conversations on the nature of wickedness. It was interesting to see Elphaba from another perspective. We're told in Wicked that she is painted as being, well, wicked, but it's hard to tell why sometimes (minus Morrible's "murder" of course). I liked hearing other perspectives about her and how she was viewed by the populace in the city.

I never really liked Liir as I did Elphaba. He was too unfeeling and the stuff with him in Quadling country was strange. Not bad strange like Trism and Candle -- it worked, I just didn't like what he as a character did.

So, in conclusion, I really liked it until all of the strange love triangle parts at the end.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 5:44 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Spoilers!!!!!11111
(regarding "Son of a Witch", not "Wicked")

The reason for Candle's pregnancy was to provide a means for the reader to deduce that Liir is, in fact, Elphaba's son (in case the title of the book doesn't tip them off ;) ). Mind you, we have to wait until the very last sentence to see the significance.

Apart from that tiny bit of closure, every single other issue remains unresolved. Now you can see what I was ranting about when I first read it!

I agree with you, that Maguire's writing style has improved.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Jun , 2006 8:22 pm
Another bright red day

and some more
Spoilers!!!!!11111
(regarding "Son of a Witch", not "Wicked")

Quote:
The reason for Candle's pregnancy was to provide a means for the reader to deduce that Liir is, in fact, Elphaba's son (in case the title of the book doesn't tip them off ;) ). Mind you, we have to wait until the very last sentence to see the significance.
Ooh, right. What an awfully complicated way to go about telling him that. Yet another green child loosed upon Oz. There HAS to be another book in the works.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Jun , 2006 12:37 pm
Aspiring to heresy

But didn't you say that you heard him speak at a conference, and he said that he had no intention of writing another? (I might be remembering wrong)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Jun , 2006 5:34 pm
Another bright red day

That is what he said, but having read it now, I don't see how he could not write another one. Son of a Witch was only finished and published because so many people wrote in asking what happened to Nor.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Jun , 2006 6:04 pm
Aspiring to heresy

And, of course, we still know nothing about Nor. :rage:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 7  [ 138 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Jump to: