board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

I have seen "Aviator" and I think it's ...

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Mummpizz
Post subject: I have seen "Aviator" and I think it's ...
Posted: Tue 15 Feb , 2005 1:43 pm
Gloriosus

a good movie and well deserving the deluge of gold statuettes.

After that movie, I definitely swoon for Kate Blanchet. And having written this, I remember her again as Katherine Hepburn and have to swoon again. Somebody fetch me smelling salts. I mean, the other guy as Howard Hughes was good, too, almost believable, but when it comes to Kate Blanchet I surrender all hope and give in to swooning. Oh I need a bucket. What do I need a bucket for? I don't know, but the swooners here need buckets. I guess I'll see when I swoon. Kate Blanchet! She simply is Katherine Hepburn, but with a distinct sweeter touch, more obvious delicacy, prettyness, whatever. But she acts like a goddess. No wonder, it's a goddess' role. Played by another goddess. OMG I swoon again.

I thought I put the "pray" emoticon here, but that's too stupid and cannot explain my utter rollercoastedness.

– – –

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Feb , 2005 2:37 pm

I'll see it this week. I saw the trailer for it yesterday before The Grudge, and you know what my main thought was?

"Leo is acting like he's trying to act like Tom Hanks would act if it was him acting!"

:Q

I'm restraining my expectations. Scorsese+ modern filmmaking techniques scares me a little bit. The trailer wasn't all that great either- I'm sick of hearing that 'this is the story of a man/woman who challenged/risked/gave up everything'. It makes films seem so trivial. :(

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Feb , 2005 2:47 pm
Gloriosus

This is the story of a weirdo who loved planes and Katherine Hepgurne who is played by Kate Blanchet who acts like a goddess which she is.

Okay, I'm quiet now.

– – –

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 7:23 pm

I have seen The Aviator.

I breathe a sigh of relief. As did all of my friends- this wasn't anything like Gangs of New York. :P

Okay, now, seriously. It was a very good movie. The placement in time wasn't so in your face as it can be when directors get tempted to show some roaring twenties. There was no original music (!) and I liked that, because it avoided spoiling some of the speeches by adding too much drama...one thing I'm sick and tired of in the cinema is epic speeches backed by violins. Even in the hearing sequences it was adroitly avoided, and it would have been an easy thing to use...yay!

My favourite part is the short bit in Hepburn's house, with her family at the table. That was some amazing editing.

(though it seems like the editor did well in complicated scenes but kind of skimmed over the easy bits. It felt jagged at times, mostly due to actor's positions changing. I hate that.)

You're right about Cate!!! She was amazing. I didn't mind Sweet Leo either, although mrs Braun said his moustache was falling off. He played well if you asked me...okay, I'm not the one on the committee or anything but I was happy. I mean, these were two types of characters, Kate and Howard, whom I wouldn't easily sympathise with! I'm not at all fond of 'misunderstood visionists'. The idea of going crazy over a life goal frightens me- I'm easily satisfied and have no lifelong dream, funny as that may sound. So Howard Hughes is not going to catch my sympathy just by being an anecdote. That means Leo did well enough, because I did care and I was interested. It wasn't actors playing eccentric people, it was eccentric people and I'm pleased.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: