The Last Homely Site on the Web

Strangely compelling internet memes from hell

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 44 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jul , 2006 9:02 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I love the Numa Numa video. :LMAO: I have a video of myself and another TORCer singing the first part of it, complete with the hand motions, from the Chicago moot last week.

The pirate thing though? :Q Scary as all hell. I couldn't even finish it.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jul , 2006 9:05 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I know you guys mentioned it! I just have been slacking on infamous 'net videos the last couple of years, so didn't realize what you guys were talking about. Thought you may have meant the "mana mana" thing from Sesame Street. :LMAO:

Is your video online? I'll check through the Chicago thread again.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jul , 2006 9:10 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

*E*, I don't think it was posted in the thread, but I'll PM you the link to the video on yousendit.com. Warning--it's a massive file, something like 180 megs for a minute of video. :Q

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jul , 2006 9:16 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

Good to see you, too *E*. :D
I've been over at HoF more than here lately, but I haven't even been over there much really. I've been busy buying a house and moving and other offline stuff like that. I'd like to tell y'all all about it, but I haven't had a lot of time lately.
Although I have to admit that the irony of posting a long post about why I don't have time to post much really appeals to me. :)

But back on topic...

AFAIK, the Numa Numa song is an actual dance hit from somewhere in Europe - I forget where. It's by a band called O-Zone. The geeky kid with the video just took the whole thing viral. I got hooked on the song myself and downloaded it over P2P, which I guess makes me a pirate. So yar har fiddle-dee-dee, I guess.

See, that damn pirate song keeps coming back. :rage:

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jul , 2006 9:28 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

elfshadow wrote:
*E*, I don't think it was posted in the thread, but I'll PM you the link to the video on yousendit.com. Warning--it's a massive file, something like 180 megs for a minute of video. :Q
Got it! Wow, it must be great quality because the video of us in Toronto is also a minute long but only 20 MB in size. :suspicious:
Angbasdil wrote:
I've been over at HoF more than here lately,
Oh, I see! I finally got the stones to register there, but haven't posted much, so it's still unfamiliar territory. Will get around to bothering you and others over there sometime. ;)
Quote:
Although I have to admit that the irony of posting a long post about why I don't have time to post much really appeals to me. :)
Well, I say go for it. Whenever I start a post with a statement about it's length (whether how long or short it will be), it always turns into a gargantuan project. Very strange trick, that. In your case, it'd be oodles of fun, so I am selfishly campaigning for more posts from ya.
Quote:
See, that damn pirate song keeps coming back. :rage:
I hope this helps: link. Sorry, I can't miss an opportunity to plug that site, especially if it gets the pirate song out of someone's head. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jul , 2006 10:06 pm
Another bright red day

Angbasdil wrote:
AFAIK, the Numa Numa song is an actual dance hit from somewhere in Europe - I forget where. It's by a band called O-Zone.
They're Romanian, I think, though an Italian group has covered it. It's actually called Dragostea Din Tei, with umlauts in there somewhere. It was super popular when I was in Scotland two years ago. The music video was on constantly (no, I don't watch music videos -- that was the channel it was on in the lounge) and they had often had subtitles.

I'm sure you didn't actually want to know all that, but that song has a lot of nostalgic value for me. And now you've read it, so it's too late anyway.

More on topic, I still think the pink haired girl is creepy.
I may be a pirate, but I refuse to be that kind of pirate.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jul , 2006 10:22 pm

Makes sense to me, Mossy. :) I heard that "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by The Darkness constantly while in London. Couldn't believe anyone considered that music. Then I got home and found out it was just a parody, so I think it's pretty fun now.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Aug , 2006 9:28 pm
Just beyond the surreal

That clip takes me back to my ecstacy trip days...

And at least we're teaching our children to appreciate techno. That's a lost art among us nowadays.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Aug , 2006 9:34 pm

DMM!!

:wave:
:welcome

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Aug , 2006 2:47 am

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
I hope this helps: link. Sorry, I can't miss an opportunity to plug that site, especially if it gets the pirate song out of someone's head. :P
I appreciate the help, but that link doesn't do a thing for me. Dunno why. It just... doesn't. :neutral:
But that's okay, because I know how to deal with stuff getting stuck in my head. It happens to me quite often. My brain is very sticky that way.

What I do is I overload that part of my brain where everything gets stuck with as many different memes as possible, flooding it with so much sticky stuff that it can't decide which one to focus on. So every time that sadistic little fuck that's playing DJ inside my cerebellum starts to spin one platter, I send him another one that's just as addictive.
So I've recorded the audio to the Pirate thingy, saved it as an MP3 and added it to my playlist of "sticky music." The playlist also includes Numa Numa, Gonads & Strife, about two and a half minutes of Badgers, Woo Hoo by the 5 6 7 8's (as heard in those Vonage ads), "I Like to Move It" from Madagascar, Technologic by Daft Punk and, of course, the granddaddy of all internet memes, All Your Base Are Belong To Us.
Just hit shuffle and after about an hour you'll find it impossible to focus on anything.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Aug , 2006 3:00 am

What the hell does 'memes' mean, anyways?

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Aug , 2006 9:26 am

dictionary.com wrote:
meme
A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Aug , 2006 1:24 pm
Not so deep as a well

Like the Wal-Mart thong story. Which I have been spreading to many. :LMAO:

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Aug , 2006 3:34 pm

I don't know that one, Ax. Can you tell it again? :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Aug , 2006 3:38 pm

Over here, E:

http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/view ... 2867#32867

(Warning: Link may contain awesomeness.)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Aug , 2006 3:56 pm

Didn't think I'd find myself searching through multiple pages for the word "thong" but thanks, yov.

Ang has the best stories. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Jan , 2007 2:03 am

Speaking of weird shit getting stuck in my head, there's a podcast that I listen to every week called "This Week in Tech", or "TWiT" for short. I was listening to it on my MP3 player at work the other day, and when it got to the credits at the end, my hands were full so I couldn't skip to the next podcast like I usually do. So I accidently discovered that they have a pretty cool theme song there at the end of the show. They took samples of the voice of the host, Leo LaPorte, from the show and mixed them together over this techno synth stuff and it ended up with a pretty good groove to it. So I had to clip the last 2 or 3 minutes off the show and save it as an MP3 and add it to my sticky playlist.

Here's a link if you want it.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Jan , 2007 11:18 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Quote:
I heard that "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by The Darkness constantly while in London. Couldn't believe anyone considered that music. Then I got home and found out it was just a parody, so I think it's pretty fun now.
:suspicious:

Pah! Splutter! Harumph! Those guys came from my home town! They rocked. The two brothers don't speak to each other now so the younger Hawkins brother is reforming a band. When it happens it will be good. Justin Hawkins the falsetto singer is trying to kick drugs :roll:

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Jan , 2007 11:24 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Makes sense to me, Mossy. :) I heard that "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by The Darkness constantly while in London. Couldn't believe anyone considered that music. Then I got home and found out it was just a parody, so I think it's pretty fun now.
No parody. The Darkness had two albums and were very successful until Justin Hawkins quit the band to check into rehab last year. I have both albums and the Christmas single, and the t-shirt and my pink guitar owning friend went to one of their last concerts. Sure, they didn't take themselves very seriously, but The Darkness were a bloody awesome band. My favourite song of theirs is 'Love Is Only A Feeling'.

They were Tosh's local band. :)

Mind you, I also enjoyed Dragosta Din Tea, so maybe I have a penchant for the silly. "Love of the Linden Tree," wasn't it? Vrei sa pleiz da dragosta din tea/Numa numa ie/Numa numa numa ie or however it went. Damn I love that song. It still has some perennial poularity over here. If it's the weather for The Zephyr Song then the music channels will be playing Dragosta Din Tea right beside it.

...Lazytown. I did a little research into the pink girl last week actually, and I found out she's like forty or something. Why was I doing this you ask? Because if there was ever a live-action Bleach, she'd have to play Yachiru.

Oh, I crack myself up. :damnfunny:

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject: Re: Strangely compelling internet memes from hell
Posted: Tue 25 May , 2010 2:41 am

Just a quick drive-by to add this to the thread:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 44 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: