Your Movie Collection - why?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 34 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Dec , 2006 10:49 pm
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

I dont know how many people here have visited this site but Ive found it awesome for listing movies, Flixster I like it a bunch at least :)
Borry

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Dec , 2006 10:54 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Hi, long-time user. :P I tried pimping it on my site a few times, but oh well.

Uh, and suddenly my embarrassingly slow brain realizes that you're that one awesome person who was always writing new reviews for me to read. :D Figures that it was before I'd really talked to you, and now I haven't been there regularly for months. Something else to fix, eh?

I hate posts like this where I jump in with a response without replying to previous comments in the thread (which I really wanted to do). Now I have an excuse I guess heh.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 03 Jan , 2007 4:51 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Got a few to add, most of which were Christmas presents. :D

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Hope it lives up to the hype.

Laputa: Castle In The Sky
I didn't enjoy this one so much. It'll probably help a hell of a lot that this version won't be early nineties dub-only. ^^

The Nightmare Before Christmas
I still haven't seen the end of this film! Well, within memory that is. I'm convinced I watched it at my friend Millie's fifth birthday party.

Urusei Yatsura: Only You
Looks like the godfather of harem. I'm expecting to find Tenchi Muyou owing quite a lot to this, but I could have completely the wrong idea. I want to know why everyone enjoyed this so much, back in the day. Plus it was the cheapest anime DVD on Amazon containing materiel I'm even vaguely interested in.

Green Wing: The Complete Second Series
YAAAAAAAAAAY!!! :D:D:D

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 03 Jan , 2007 4:54 pm
of Vinyamar

I just found out about some software that allows you to barcode scan your DVD and CD collection. It then pulls all the relevant info off the web. How cool is that?

Costs about $70 for the scanner plus software, but I must say I'm tempted!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 03 Jan , 2007 5:05 pm
stranded in dreamland

That's really cool! That definitely tempts my over-organized side.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Jan , 2007 2:32 am

Ack.....I've been meaning to do this since it was first posted. Time has been spent other ways.

I'm terrible.

:(

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 18 Feb , 2007 10:04 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

One more thing to check off on my b77 to-do list. :P

Elian wrote:
(Yeah, I’m the one person in America who didn’t like The Incredibles. Sue me.)
First off, great list in general. Thanks for participating, El! I went through a Johnny Depp phase as well, but didn't purchase as many as I saw. As for The Incredibles, I wasn't impressed on the first view. Perhaps I was hoping for some snappy humor like in other Disney flicks, and was used to similar powers on display in other superhero pics. I like it more now, but doubt it will grow on me over the years. When it comes to Pixar, I'm a Toy Story 2 and Nemo girl.
Quote:
The Critic – The Complete Series – Very funny show. The Orson Welles jokes bring me to tears, and it’s been years since I first saw them.
:love: You won't believe how much I love you for saying that. I picked the DVDs up while on a trip in south NB and spent the whole weekend watching it in our little cabin. Hard to believe they only got one-and-a-half seasons out of it. Apparently Fox gave it a real bad deal. Bastards.
Quote:
(Holy crap, that took forever to type out. Ouch. Please Nikki, don't ever tempt me to do this for music or (god forbid!) books!)
No worries there.
Alatar wrote:
I'd love to contribute, but my DVD list is waaaay too long for me to type up. And there's 3 boxes of VHS in the attic too.

I've been at this longer than most of you, you see.... :)
Well, thanks for bypassing all the other questions I asked, guys. :P (Neat info on the barcode scanner, though, Alatar.)
Lily Rose wrote:
Constantine-This one I actually tried to watch, but lost interest after about 15 minutes.
I tried to watch it twice in Florida alone, haha.
elfshadow wrote:
*E* wrote:
The Exorcist: The Version You’ve Never Seen - my VHS tape literally fell apart.
I don't actually own this movie, in fact I've never seen it...but here's me on the steps at the end (I'm the one in white):
Elsha, that made me squeee so much. :D Totally forgot that the stairway was in Georgetown. Thanks for posting the photo. It's uber-awesome.
Legolas the elf wrote:
thanks *E*...it's nice to unwind from the day w/ a thread like this.
Any time. :cheers:

I got a few DVDs over Christmas. Much happier about my buying habits last year than in others. Of course, I was seeing so many at the theatre, I damn well better have changed money-related habits elsewhere.

Clerks 2 - second or third-favorite film of the year. Watched it Christmas with the parents (:LMAO:) and not since, though I really haven't been watching much period.

Hard Candy - damn good film. Avoided late rental fees by waiting to see it multiple times once owning a copy. Still haven't seen it that second time :oops: but know I'll like it.

Jackass Number Two - whatevs, it made me laugh. :P

Little Miss Sunshine - lurve it. Loved it in theatres, loved it even more watching it with mom.

Love Actually - hated parting with this one from the rental place. Very happy to own it finally.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 18 Feb , 2007 10:11 am

Yay, Im not the only one who just couldnt stay awake for Constantine.
Borry

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 18 Feb , 2007 11:02 am

Definitely not, Borry. And I am not one to fall asleep during movies very often.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 18 Feb , 2007 1:19 pm

Me neither!
Borry

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject: Re: Your Movie Collection - why?
Posted: Sun 18 Feb , 2007 3:13 pm
of Vinyamar

Sorry E*, vnever saw the questions.
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
I'm not suggesting you have to give the story behind each of your purchases, but if you can give a general idea of what makes you want to own a movie, that would be great. How often do you actually watch what you own? Would you give it back if you could? Had you seen it before or just bought it on a whim?
What makes me want to own a movie? Hard to quantify. Sometimes its a movie I know I'll watch over and over again. Sometimes its a movie I missed on General release and I see for a good price. Often its gifts for my wife or kids. People sometimes say I waste a lot of money on DVDs but my rationale is simple. To go to the cinema costs me about €50 between tickets, snacks and babysitter. I can buy 2 or 3 DVDs for that, so even if I only watch them once, they're worth the money.

I have a handful of DVDs that I bought and never watched, but for the most part these are movies I saw and loved, bought on DVD and never got round to watching again. Others are movies I'm waiting for the right opportunity to watch. I have all three of the Costa Botes LotR Documentaries, but I want an uninterrupted night, when I'm not too tired and I can give them full attention.

I would never give back a DVD by choice. The only time I have ever done so was when I spent €70 on the complete Sharpe DVD box set for Mrs Alatar. She watched one and found it boring, so I sold them on Ebay and bought her something else.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Re: Your Movie Collection - why?
Posted: Sun 18 Feb , 2007 3:18 pm

Alatar wrote:
Sorry E*, vnever saw the questions.
That's okay, I was just teasing. One thing I never know what to do with new threads is whether to write a lot of examples in case people are strapped for ideas, or to be vague and possibly not get anything close to the answers I was looking for. :P The first might make them feel boxed in, though, and I'm not trying to encourage that.

But yeah, I write too much sometimes and neither expect or intend for people to read all of it, I just hope they catch some of it at least.

€50 for a night at the movies, egads! :neutral: I would be a hermit if that were the case haha.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 18 Feb , 2007 3:21 pm
of Vinyamar

Well, Tickets are €8.50-€10, so that €17-€20 straight off (since I normally go with Mrs Alatar). Babysitter is at least €20. Snacks and petrol more than make up for the remainder.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 18 Feb , 2007 3:27 pm

I forget that euros are closer to the US currency than the UK pound. :oops: That is over twice our dollar so I was like, $100 on a movie, screw that!

Still a pretty penny, though. Bummer.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 34 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: