board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Oscar Thread 2006 - WINNERS POSTED!!!

Post Reply   Page 7 of 7  [ 134 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7
Your favorite of the Best Picture nominees?
BABEL

13% [ 1 ]
THE DEPARTED

38% [ 3 ]
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA

0% [ 0 ]
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

38% [ 3 ]
THE QUEEN

13% [ 1 ]
Total votes: 8
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 28 Feb , 2007 4:40 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

THE DEPARTED WON BEST PICTURE?? What the hell???? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: I admit I haven't seen any of the other films that were up for the Oscar (I'm not much of a moviegoer) but did the Academy even WATCH the ending of this movie? I nearly laughed myself out of the theater. In fact the entire audience I was with was filled with awkward giggling at the end. It was just so much. We don't need to be hit over the head with death to understand that it plays an important role in the film. Anyway, surely some other movie could have pleased the Academy more. Sheesh.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 28 Feb , 2007 4:53 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

TWT wrote:
Because he's an arrogant prick. Straight enough? :)
I've never seen him in an interview, how's I supposed to know! But that works. Don't bite my head off, please. :P (EDIT: also, he didn't even write Prisoner of Azkaban, so if he's talking about it being better than the book, it's not his own vision he's salivating over.)

So who did everyone vote for in the poll? I'm especially interested in the nod for The Queen because I haven't really heard anyone talk about it on the boards. I voted for LMS but have yet to see Babel or Letters. Am assuming yov was another LMS voter and TWT went for The Departed.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 28 Feb , 2007 9:53 am
of Vinyamar

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
I'm especially interested in the nod for The Queen because I haven't really heard anyone talk about it on the boards.

It was pretty heavily discussed on HoF

http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 28 Feb , 2007 1:01 pm
Wembley bound

I voted TD.

Elsha, I had the same 'what the hell?' reaction when I saw TD. But when I watched it again, I liked it a lot more. Personally I found the ending much better than almost every other movie in which everyone or someone lives HEE. In this movie there was no prison, only death. I liked it.

And I was the only one to vote TD up until another vote appeared a couple days ago...

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 28 Feb , 2007 1:05 pm

I agree that the ending got pretty absurd. There were a few major holes and non-sensical things happening at the end (though it's been a while so I can't remember exactly what).

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 28 Feb , 2007 7:35 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Alatar wrote:
It was pretty heavily discussed on HoF

http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657
Right on. But I don't post there. :)

I didn't mind the ending to TD. It was surprising. The real best supporting actor in that film was the blood splatter. Yeah, baby.

EDIT: oh lord, this isn't very good. I never realized what a monster Mark Wahlberg was/is. Read through this thread, especially the links provided. Damn. :neutral: On the one hand, he was a kid who's father beat the shit out of him and that's got to make an impact. On the other hand, he fucking BLINDED a man with a meathook, nearly killing him, and has never so much as tried to appologize for it. Can't say I agree with that. At all. Mark, you idiot. :rage:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Mar , 2007 2:52 am
Wembley bound

I've kept it my policy for a long time to not care about people's past, unless I know them. What they did in the past, good or bad, good for them, or too bad. I don't really care.

But that thread used an acronym that I've never seen! "iawtc"

I presume that means (according to the context): "I agree with that consensus"

Am I right?

And the blood spatter was well done! :D

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Mar , 2007 4:12 am

TWT wrote:
I don't really care.
I'm not about to boycott his films or anything, it's just an extremely shitty thing to do to someone. As with all situations like this that involve a crime and public opinion, part of me thinks it's not for me to judge, but I also don't want to condone such behavior. I think Victor Salva is a good director, but others don't want him ever hired again because he's been convicted of molesting children. There are a lot of controversies out there over nothing, but what about the ones that hold weight? No one's perfect, yes, but there's a huge freaking difference between imperfection and molestation or hate crimes which almost result in someone's death. Do I ignore that simply because it wasn't my father or friend who was blinded? That doesn't seem right, either, just as much as avoiding his films or creating petitions seems besides the point. I don't know the answer.
Quote:
But that thread used an acronym that I've never seen! "iawtc"

I presume that means (according to the context): "I agree with that consensus"
Completely or consensus, yeah.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Mar , 2007 12:42 pm

W00t, w00t! :D Oscar to The Danish Poet! I have a relative who went to school with the director, Torill Kove. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Mar , 2007 12:57 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Just so long as Babel didn't get best editing. That's all I cared about this year.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Mar , 2007 3:21 pm

Nienor SharkAttack wrote:
I have a relative who went to school with the director, Torill Kove. :P
For the Norwegian or Canadian portion of her life? ;) That's very cool. Cheers for our joint project winning! Canada is very good at teaming up with other countries, such as with this year's WATER, which was an Indian co-production, and 1998's THE RED VIOLIN, which was Italian, I think? The story itself takes place in Cremona, then Vienna, England, China, and Montreal, so it's possible several of those countries helped finance the production.

Someone finally voted for BABEL in the poll. Argh, now I'm really itching to see it. Must watch previously rented flicks before getting more, though. :P

Lidless, I think it was a close call. A lot of those MAGNOLIA-type films about everyone's lives interconnecting have won the Editing award in recent years, such as CRASH and TRAFFIC, and you can stretch that to include even bigger films with multiple storylines: ROTK, BLACK HAWK DOWN. Betcha many voters picked it for that reason alone, whether it was cohesive or not.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Mar , 2007 3:29 pm

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Nienor SharkAttack wrote:
I have a relative who went to school with the director, Torill Kove. :P
For the Norwegian or Canadian portion of her life? ;) That's very cool. Cheers for our joint project winning!
Well, I don't have that many relatives in Canada, so... ;)

:cheers:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 May , 2007 3:01 pm

I thought there was a thread for THE DEPARTED on this board, but apparently not. :scratch: I suppose this can also go in the "video snicker" thread, but it's not as light-hearted or safe-for-work as they might prefer, so at least anyone who clicks on it here would probably realize the content of the film. ;)
Honestly, that's all I got out of it, too. :LMAO:

The second reason for posting here is juuuust in case anyone had more to add about this year's Oscar movies. I haven't been to the theatre in almost four months and only caught one or two filmes on DVD, :( so nothing to say myself.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 May , 2007 3:55 pm
DomiKNITrix

I just watched The Departed last week and really don't get what all the fuss is about. It seems like darned ordinary film to me. Or is it an American thing? Something I don't get? No idea. It didn't seem in any way special and just as ordinary as any other similar film on TV. *shrugs*

Will watch the fucking short version now.

:damnfunny:

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 7  [ 134 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7
Jump to: