2012 doomsday

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
MariaHobbit
Post subject: 2012 doomsday
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 3:02 pm

We saw a history channel show called Decoding The Past
Episode: Doomsday 2012: The End of Days
and apparently lots of ancient prophecies are predicting The End of The World on or about 2012.

Bummer.

That's only 5 years from now. :(

What would you do different with your life, if you thought the world was going to end in 5 years?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 3:04 pm
of Vinyamar

Stop watching the History Channel :)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 3:13 pm

Well, you know... when we run out of things to watch on the Sci Fi channel, the History channel is the next best thing! ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 3:47 pm
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

I'd probably quit school and go to a monastery. an spend lots of time w/ my family and friends.

Or start a militia to steal food from Wal-mart and take it to some starving people. :P

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject: Re: 2012 doomsday
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 4:15 pm
You are hearing me talk

MariaHobbit wrote:
What would you do different with your life, if you thought the world was going to end in 5 years?
It's going to take that long? ;)

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 5:25 pm
Daydream Believer

If you take the Mayan view of this, it's a change for the better.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 5:40 pm

I think I'd travel a bit more. There are some cool things on this planet that you can't really get a feel for from pictures that I'd like to see while there's still a chance.

I'd like to see the Grand Canyon. I'd like to see northern lights. I'd kind of like to take 30 days and ride the Amtrak system all around the western USA for that matter- stopping here and there and seeing the sights. Although, I might get tired of the *other* passengers aspect of that sort of travel after a bit...

That's about it.

Of course I'd much rather the world keep chugging along. I'd be much happier knowing my kids and future grandkids got to have full and happy lives instead of the whole thing popping like a soap bubble and disappearing as if it had never been. But... well.... it's not really up to us, is it? *sigh*

edit: What's the Mayan view, Ara?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 5:44 pm
Aspiring to heresy

If I knew for sure that the world would end in five years, saving for retirement would not be an issue. I would try to ensure that I died broke, living life to the fullest in the meantime, seeing all those places and doing all those things that I've been saving "for later".

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 5:56 pm
Daydream Believer

Mayan Prophecy 2012: Entering Our Galactic Day
Source http://www.lordoftheringsguide.com/foru ... =25&page=1

Many of us are aware of the Mayan calendar but not many people truly understand what it means and how it works. Yes the calendar does end on December 21, 2012, but what does that mean? How does it come to that? What is their calendar based off of?

The Mayans had a very precise understanding of our solar system's cycles and believed that these cycles coincided with our spiritual and collective consciousness. The most significant of which has much to do with the 2012 prophecies. In the following writing, we will walk through the main details of their prophecies surrounding the 2012 transition. How the transition takes place (from an astronomical perspective), what it means for us, and when the cycles take place. We'll start with the basic prophecies and later move deeper into the explanation of the cycles.

The Mayans prophesied that from 1999 we have 13 ears to realize the changes in our conscious attitude to stray from the path of self-destruction and instead move onto a path that opens our consciousness to integrate us with all that exists.

The Mayans knew that our Sun, or Kinich-Ahau, every so often synchronized with the enormous central galaxy. And from this central galaxy received a 'spark' of light which causes the Sun to shine more intensely producing what our scientists call 'solar flares' as well as changes in the Sun's magnetic field. The Mayans say that this happens every 5,125 years. But also that this causes a displacement in the earths rotation, and because of this movement great catastrophes would be produced.

The Mayans believed the universal processes, like the 'breathing' of the galaxy, are cycles that never change. What changes is the consciousness of man that passes through it. Always in a process toward more perfection. Based on their observations, the Mayans predicted that from the initial date of the start of their civilization, 4 Ahau, 8 Cumku which is 3113 B.C., after one cycle being completed 5,125 years in their future, December 21st, 2012. The Sun, having received a powerful ray of synchronizing light from the center of the galaxy, would change its polarity which would produce a great cosmic event that would propel human kind to be ready to cross into a new era, The Golden Age. It is after this, that the Mayans say we will be ready to go through the door that was left by them, transforming our civilization based on fear to a vibration much higher in harmony.

Only from our individual efforts could we avoid the path to great cataclysm that our planet will suffer to start a new era, the sixth cycle of the Sun. The Mayan civilization was in the fifth cycle of the Sun, and there were four other great civilizations before them that were destroyed by great natural disasters. They believed that each cycle was just one stage in the collective consciousness of humanity.

In the last cataclysm of the Mayans, the civilization was destroyed by a great flood that left little survivors of which were their descendants. They believed that having known the end of their cycle, mankind would prepare for what is to come in the future and it is because of this that they would have preserved the dominant species; the human race. They say that coming changes will permit us to make a quantum leap forward in the evolution of our consciousness to create a new civilization that would manifest great harmony and compassion to all humankind.

Their first prophecy talks about 'The Time of No-Time'. A period of 20 years, which they call a Katún. The last 20 years of the Sun's cycle of 5,125 years. This cycle is from 1992 - 2012. I'll explain this in greater detail later. They predicted that during these times, solar winds would become more intense and could be seen on the Sun. This would be a time of great realization and great change for mankind. And it would be our own lack of preservation and contamination of the planet that would contribute to these changes. According to the Mayans, these changes would happen so that mankind comprehends how the universe works so we could advance to superior levels, leaving behind superficial materialism and liberating ourselves from suffering.

The Mayans say, that seven years after the start of Katún, which is to say 1999, we would enter a time of darkness which would force us to confront our own conduct. The say that this is the time when mankind will enter 'The Sacred Hall of Mirrors'. Where we will look at ourselves and analyze our behaviors with ourselves, with others, with nature and with the planet in which we live. A time in which all of humanity, by individual conscious decisions, decides to change and eliminate fear and lack of respect from all of our relationships. The Mayans prophesied that the start of this period would be marked by a solar eclipse on August 11, 1999, known to them as 13 Ahau, 8 Cauac. And would coincide with an unprecedented planetary alignment, the 'Grand Cross' alignment. This would be the last 13 years of the Katón period. The last opportunity for our civilization to realize the changes that are coming at the moment of our spiritual regeneration.

For the Mayans, everything is numbers and the time of the 13 sacred numbers started in August 1999. They predicted that along with the eclipse, the forces of nature would act like a catalyst of changes so accelerated and with such magnitude that mankind would be powerless against them. Also, that our technologies in which we rely on so much would begin to fail us. We would no longer be able to learn from our civilization in the way that we are organized as a society. They said that our internal, spiritual development would require a better place along with a better way to interact with more respect and compassion.

The first prophecies were attained by their study of our Sun. The Mayans discovered that the entire solar system moved. That even our universe has its own cycles. Repetitive periods which begin and end like our day and night. These discoveries lead to the understanding that our solar system rotates on an ellipse that brings our solar system closer and further from the center of the galaxy. In other words, according to the Mayans, our Sun and all of its planets rotate in cycles in relation to the center of the galaxy or Hunab-Kú, the central light of the galaxy. It takes 25,625 years for our solar system to make one cycle on this ellipse. One complete cycle is called a galactic day. The cycle is divided into two halves similar to our day and night. The half closest to the central light, is our solar system's 'day' and the half furthest away is its 'night'. Each day and each night lasts 12,800 years. Which is to say, the central galaxy is the Sun for our entire solar system.

The Mayans discovered that every grand cycle has its minor cycles, that carry the same characteristics. One galactic day of 25,625 years is divided into five cycles of 5,125 years. The first cycle is the galactic morning. When our solar system is just coming out of the darkness to enter the light. The second cycle is the mid-day. When our solar system is closest to the central light. The third cycle is the afternoon. When our solar system begins to come out of the light. The fourth cycle is the late-night. When our solar system has entered its furthest cycle from the central light. And the fifth and last cycle is night before dawn. When are solar system is in its last cycle of darkness before starting again. This is the cycle we are currently coming out of.

The Mayan prophecy tells us that in 1999, our solar system began to leave the end of the fifth cycle which started in 3113 B.C. and that we find ourselves in the morning of our galactic day, exiting darkness and on the verge of being in plain day of our central galaxy in 2012. They say that at the beginning and end of these cycles, which is to say, every 5,125 years, the central sun or light of the galaxy emits a ray of light so intense and so brilliant that it illuminates the entire universe. It is from this burst of light that all of the Suns and planets sync. The Mayans compare this burst to the pulse of the universe, beating once every 5,125 years. It is these pulses that mark the end of one cycle and the beginning of the next. Each pulse lasting 20 years, a Katún.

So we come back to what they call 'The Time of No Time'. It is an evolutionary period, short but intense, inside the grand cycles where great changes take place to thrust us into a new age of evolution as individuals and as mankind.

As individuals we will have to make decisions that will affect us all. If we continue on this negative path of hate, an eye for an eye, destruction of nature, of fear and egoism, we will enter straight into the time of destruction and chaos, and we will disappear as the dominant race of this planet. If we become conscious and realize that we all form part of a great organism, and that we should respect one another and be grateful to our planet, then we will move directly into positive growth, our Golden Age. Our planet, the Sun and the Galaxy are awaiting our decision. It is up to us what will happen in this time of change. Whether we go through a time of suffering and destruction or we find ourselves united in one positive consciousness moving closer to our next stage.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Shadowjack
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 7:14 pm
The Keeper of the Splendiferous Sword

Jude wrote:
If I knew for sure that the world would end in five years, saving for retirement would not be an issue. I would try to ensure that I died broke, living life to the fullest in the meantime, seeing all those places and doing all those things that I've been saving "for later".
I agree.

Spend it as fast as it comes.. borrow money you don't have.. (who cares about paying back a bank that won't exist in a few years) etc.

Screw helping people.. they will be dead to.

Would see every possible part of the world I ever wanted to... buy stuff that I can't afford... and as the world ends.. be drinking Crystal and smoking a bowl.. while enjoying the company of a few nice ladies.. ;)

[ img ]

Some there be that shadows kiss;
Such have but a shadows bliss.
-Shakespeare-

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 7:19 pm

Ara wrote:
The Mayans knew that our Sun, or Kinich-Ahau, every so often synchronized with the enormous central galaxy.
Now there's an interesting thought: a synchronzing flash every 5000+ years. Why wouldn't the galaxy/universe have a method of keeping all it's myriad components from getting too weird? I mean, if the universe is alive and our whole solar system is the equivalent of a cell or an atom in our body, then of course the universe as a whole would have a regulating mechanism...

That would be kinda cool, actually, if myriad alien civilizations are being kept at the same state of development so that when they actually meet, they can still communicate with each other. Otherwise, if they were developing at differing rates at different times, they'd never meet.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 9:16 pm
Best friends forever

Their calculations were wrong. The world actually ended 5 years ago. Nothing much changed. :D

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 9:38 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I think we've had this before somewhere...

If the I knew the world was going to end in 5 years? I'd quit school and endeavour to finish the entire Final Fantasy and Zelda series, spend a helluva lot more time practicing the organ, and generally just have fun really. May as well enjoy it while we've got it.

But right now, I'm not willing to take that risk.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 9:46 pm

Well, to be honest, I think I'd have huge difficulties enjoying myself if I knew that I was going to die in five years - me and the rest of the planet...

Edit: This got me thinking... Many people get this message. "You have cancer and will be dead within five years." I don't know what I would do. I don't know how I would have handled that. I feel sick thinking about it - especially since it's something that happens all the time.

But there is an extra "touch" to it when you know that not even the planet will be left when you are gone. :( Makes finishing your lifework or something seem a bit meaningless, perhaps. :(

*Depressed*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 10:04 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

What would I do with only 5 years left?

I would become a missionary.

Zelda and Final Fantasy you say Crucifer? Excellent idea :D

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 1:45 pm

You wanna know what really sucks?

The I Ching was mentioned as one of the things that indicated doom in 2012, but they used some weird mathematical formula and a graph to show this that had nothing to do with the way the I Ching is traditionally used for personal fortune telling.

So, having a copy of the I Ching on hand and having much experience with using it for personal advice, I put this question to the I Ching: How should we prepare for 2012?

Now the I Ching has never let me down. I've probably used it 2 or 3 times a year in the past 4 years and the section I'm taken to by the coin toss is always applicable and the advice is usually excellent. I don't always take said advice, being of a contrary nature :blackeye: but the advice is always good and appropriate.

My coin toss took me to the section that talks about great terror such that nothing can ever really scare you again and that one should put one's affairs in order and make sure that one is not "in secret opposition" to God's will.

*sigh*

Darn.

Well, there you have it. I thought about this last night, about what I might do differently if the world is really gonna end in 5 years... and.... well, I cleaned my kitchen.

It really needed it.

I think I'll finish the tile mural in the shower we are building next. I've been putting that off all summer, and it would be cool to see it done.

5 years, eh?

I think I'll grow a really nice vegetable garden next year.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 3:58 pm
pixel-pusher

I'd switch to regular soda. :D

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 10:09 pm
bioalchemist

Me too.

Otherwise, I'd do what I'd already planned to do for the next five years: finish my degree, get a post-doc, and follow it with a job. If S and I continue on our current trajectory, maybe I'll even marry and have a kid. Science makes me happy (well, most of the time :P), so why not?

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 17 Oct , 2007 1:47 pm

And really, even if the world is scheduled to end at a particular time... what if we've put on such a good performance that all the spectators demand an encore? Or get some other sort of brief reprieve? If you use up all your resources leading up to The End, and a 50 year encore is suddenly declared- you've really played it wrong. :shrug:

I'll just admire the world more as the clock ticks down. That was a very pretty sunrise this morning. First it was just a solid sheet of pink tinting half the sky, and then it turned pale gold all over. Very nice. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Oct , 2007 5:48 pm
Same as it ever was

MariaHobbit wrote:
And really, even if the world is scheduled to end at a particular time... what if we've put on such a good performance that all the spectators demand an encore? Or get some other sort of brief reprieve? If you use up all your resources leading up to The End, and a 50 year encore is suddenly declared- you've really played it wrong. :shrug:

I'll just admire the world more as the clock ticks down. That was a very pretty sunrise this morning. First it was just a solid sheet of pink tinting half the sky, and then it turned pale gold all over. Very nice. :)
Maria -

There have been doomsday prophesies since mankind could write it all down.

There IS not some cosmic key into the universe that makes predictions "happen." It only is validated when people start LOOKING for connections, and, then given the ways that such things can be manipulated and taken out of context, voila, validation seemingly occurs.

For me, I am going on with life as normal. Granted, "normal" is a crapshoot, why should I see anything more into those events?

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: