The Last Homely Site on the Web

Bleach down the pub

Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Pippin4242
Post subject: Bleach down the pub
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2007 5:03 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Late in the day in a small tavern on a hill in the countryside of Brazil, the bartender was surprised to see two foreigners stride in through his doors with jaunty familiarity, and make their way to a table with a fine view of the village. Their dress was outlandish in the extreme, and they were laughing and joking loudly in a language which he had never heard before.
<"Bartender!"> the darker of the two managed in passable Portuguese, "<"Two flagons of your finest local brew if you please!">
How... archaic, mused the man, as he went to the barrel.
"I'm telling you, Jyuu, you're going to love it," said Shunsui with some enthusiasm, as the two sat down.
"You always tell me that," said Ukitake mournfully, as he removed his long white coat, and carefully folded it.
"Yeah, but check out that sunset."
The two watched for a while as the blazing clouds hugged the horizon closer and closer. Ukitake smiled and relaxed a little, and Shunsui put his straw hat upon the table.
"So whom did you invite?" asked Ukitake, with a faint note of apprehension in his voice.
"Oh, you know. I just spread the word. Figured anybody interested would drop in."
"Right," murmured Ukitake. "So you basically told Matsumoto-san and hoped the rest would follow?"
"It's been an effective battle-plan for the last century. You can't ask me to quit now, Jyuushii."
Ukitake supposed he couldn't really fault Shunsui for expecting people to listen to Matsumoto-san. She certainly had notable... assets.

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2007 2:42 pm
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra sat silently in a darkened corner, an untouched drink before him. His eyes widened almost imperceptively in surprise when the two shinigami loudly burst into the room. It seemed that Aizen knew what he was talking about when he sent Ulquiorra on this mission. The thought that Aizen had researched the Gotei 13 down to their favorite haunts was unsettling in a way.

Ulquiorra watched as the one named Shunsui Kyōraku ordered drinks for himself and his companion...Jūshirō Ukitake. Ulquiorra mentally checked the other captain's name in his mind. The two seemed to be utterly absorbed in their conversation, but Ulquiorra knew that they were aware of his presence and had been since the moment they entered the pub.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Dec , 2007 12:13 am

Uryuu pushed his glasses up and sighed quietly, glaring at the figure beside him.

"Are you sure Matsumoto told you the right place? This is a dump." The Quincy glanced around him and shuddered.

"It's the right place. I've been here before." Urahara admitted, swinging his cane lazily. Uryuu took a step back in surprise, but quickly recovered.

"I can't believe I let you talk me into this."

"You need to get out more, Ishida-kun." Urahara laughed and stepped into the tavern, a broad smile on his face.

((OOC: I can't remember how Urahara refers to Ishida, and I've got to do laundry so I can't look it up...))

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Dec , 2007 3:38 am

"Kisuke!" roared Shunsui happily. "Come on and grab a seat!"
"Ah, Shunsui?" warned Ukitake gently, "you should probably wait until you can see him before you start talking to him."
"Eh," laughed Shunsui, "what are the odds of anyone in here speaking a word of Japanese anyway?"
At that moment the bartender brought two mugs of local beer to the table, and Shunsui confused him considerably by sending him away for two more, in his fragmented and ancient Portuguese.
"Who's the other, by the way?" asked Shunsui, before taking a great gulp of beer.
"It can only be a Quincy. Young Ishida Uryuu, I presume," smiled Ukitake. "Oh, it will be so nice to have some young company!" He sipped discreetly from the grubby mug. "I see you're right about the beer. I should have trusted you. This is excellent."
"Jyuu, Jyuu, Jyuu. When am I ever wrong about alcohol?"
"When you take your eye off the ball and end up lying unconscious in the gutter?"
"If you're referring to the presence of our third friend, I'm aware of how crowded my old favourite haunt is getting..."
"Good, good," smiled Ukitake, looking down into his beer.
"KISUKE!" cried Shunsui again, and leapt up from his seat to embrace the skinny exile. Swinging him around in a circle, he would have knocked Ishida off his feet if the Quincy hadn't been so alert.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Dec , 2007 4:25 am

"Kisuke! Come on and grab a seat!" Uryuu blushed and watched as Urahara disappeared into the bar.

"KISUKE!" Urahara laughed as Shunsui spun him around. Uryuu dived over a nearby table to avoid Urahara's spinning feet, catching himself before he collided with an occupied corner table.

"Gomen." He muttered quietly, unable to meet the eyes of the person he nearly hit.

As he noticed the two shinigami finally calming down, he snuck into an empty seat near Ukitake and dropped his head to the table, still regretting having allowed Urahara to talk him into this.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Dec , 2007 5:07 am

"Good evening, Ishida-san!" smiled Ukitake, inclining his head politely. "I believe that my companion has just ordered you a beer. I think it's rather good, but perhaps you'd like to try someone else's and see how you feel before you try and tackle a whole one? I understand that you are a peer of our substitute shinigami, so I was thinking that perhaps you wouldn't be too comfortable with drinking in public." Ukitake gestured to Shunsui's half-filled mug. Shunsui was still by the door, attempting to remove Urahara's hat so that he could ruffle his hair in the most annoying possible way, ignoring the outright staring on the part of the human drinkers. "I'd offer you my mug, but I've been ill... in fact," he sighed a little, looking down at the mug, which showed little sign of having been washed since Shunsui learnt Portuguese, "I'd probably better break this one and pay for it later..."

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Dec , 2007 10:43 pm
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra watched as the other two joined the shinigami taichō. He knew both of them well. In fact he supposed it could be said that without Urahara Kisuke, he wouldn't exist in the form he had today. Not that it mattered much to Ulquiorra. The only thing that mattered was survival. Funny how humans and shingami both thought other things were just as important if not more so, Ulquiorra thought as he watch the happy little party exchange drinks and merriment with equal abandon.

He took a small sip of the drink set down before him and almost immediately shuddered with revulsion. How can they drink this vile brew? he wondered to himself. He supposed he must have drunk similliar when he was alive...maybe. Thoughts of his human life were fuzzy with distance now and it was hard to be certain of the reality of any of the half remembered things that flitted through his mind now and again.

Last edited by Sidonzo on Wed 12 Dec , 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Dec , 2007 11:01 pm

Ishida reached for the mug Ukitake had indicated was his, casting a glance around the room to reassure himself that no one was paying attention to him.

Urahara laughed loudly at a joke Shunsui had loudly whispered and settled into a seat opposite Ukitake, reaching up to adjust his hat before grabbing the last unclaimed beer mug.

"Drink up, Ishida-kun! You only have your first beer once!" Urahara said loudly, swinging the mug in his hand toward Ishida. Ishida grimaced and shook his head slightly, still unwilling to take the first sip.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Dec , 2007 2:29 am

"So," murmured Ukitake in the lull, "will you make the first move, or shall I?"
"Oh, be my guest," replied Shunsui quietly, and then reached over to ruffle the Quincy's neat hair with a large, hairy hand. "ONE OF US! ONE OF US!" he cheered, as Ishida tried to keep his cool. Urahara sporfled into his beer.
Ukitake raised his voice slightly, looking into the far corner of the pub. "Do you intend to sit alone all night, or would you care to join our table?"

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Dec , 2007 2:18 pm
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra's eyes narrowed at the sound of the captain's voice. Put on his guard, he didn't immediately respond. Instead he carefully set the mug down on the table as his mind raced through all of the possibilities that could develop from that call.

Did they mean to challenge him now that it would be three on one (the Quincy being but a boy didn't figure into Ulquiorra's calculations)? If that was the case he was prepared to beat a hasty retreat. He didn't like those odds. The more he thought about it, the more he decided it couldn't be for any other reason that he was called out to. So he carefully got up and made for the door, mind whirling with plans on how to counter in case he was attacked.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Dec , 2007 4:29 pm

Ukitake shifted in his seat a little. The reiatsu in the room had become distinctly uncomfortable, and it was making his chest tight. He glanced expectantly up to Shunsui.
"It's a casual drink," said Shunsui, in a moderate, friendly tone which only those close to him would realise was rather guarded. "Are you waiting for someone or not? Because it must be lonely, sitting on your own..."
The arrancar's wide green eyes flashed at the table in uncertainty, and Ukitake fumbled in his sleeve at lightning speed to find a handkerchief, into which he began to cough.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Dec , 2007 1:47 am

Uryuu grimaced and quickly ran his fingers through his hair in an effort to lessen the damage done by Shunsui, glaring at Urahara from the corner of his eye.

When Ukitake invited the arrancar to join them, Uryuu snapped his gaze to the "enemy's" green eyes to gauge his reaction, idly wondering if the arrancar would attack or flee.

Urahara recovered from his laughter at Uryuu's expense* and watched Ukitake with concern before attaching his gaze to Ulquiorra's hands, hoping that the arrancar would join them peacablly*.

((* means I can't spell tonight. :neutral: ))

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Dec , 2007 2:07 am
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra looked from one expectant face to another, not sure what to think anymore. While he considered himself quite astute when it came to human psychology and ways to use it against them, the finer points of human emotion and contact was often lost to him. He wasn't sure if the shinigami were being sincere or not. What decided him though was that if played along and sat down with them, he could hope that their tongues would loosen as the night went on and he would have more to report back to Aizen. At this point he didn't have much. His eyes darted to the exit to gauge the distance and then he very slowly sat down at the table completely on his guard.

"For your sake this better not be any sort of trick, shinigami."

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Dec , 2007 3:57 am

"I'd throw my swords on the table, but it wouldn't make any difference seeing as I can shoot fiery burning death from my hands," laughed Shunsui, rather inappropriately. Ukitake discreetly inspected his handkerchief before replacing it in his sleeve.
"What would Yamamoto-sensei say?" he murmured, and smiled serenely at the newcomer. "I'm Ukitake Jyuushirou, and this is Kyouraku Shunsui and Urahara Kisuke, as I'm sure you are aware. But I don't believe we've been acquainted...?"

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Dec , 2007 1:50 pm
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra's first instinct was to ask the shinigami why he needed to know his name and then refuse to give it, yet that wasn't the way humans played this game. He would have to play by the rules if he wanted to get any information out of them.

"My name is Ulquiorra Schiffer." he told them impassively. Then he just sat and waited for them to start talking. He didn't mind waiting. He could wait forever and a day if that was what was required of him.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2007 2:19 am

When Shunsui mentioned his name, Urahara waved at the arrancar, not bothering to put down his mug. He finished it quickly and set it down on the table with a thump, smiling broadly as the arrancar introduced himself.

"This is excellent stuff, Shunsui. Very excellent indeed." Urahara laughed quietly and settled into a more comfortable position.

"Take mine." Ishida muttered, pushing his still-full mug into place beside Urahara's empty one.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Dec , 2007 2:01 am

"Well, I'm sure we're all very pleased to meet you, Schiffer-san", said Ukitake, eager to defuse the situation. He bowed lightly from his chair, and extended a hand to shake for good measure.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Dec , 2007 12:22 am
Everything Is Numb

Ulquiorra looked at the shingami's hand for a moment, not sure what exactly the man wanted from him. A distant memory stirred in the back of his mind. Ulquiorra fumbled for it. It's a form of greeting, Ulquiorra thought to himself.

"I believe I have already introduced myself, shinigami. I do not think that any further greeting is neccesary."

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Dec , 2007 12:37 pm

Ukitake left his hand extended for slightly longer than necessary, looking deeply embarrassed. Had he fluffed the rather Western greeting? More likely that shinigami held more by ceremony than this newcomer, he pondered, as he sat down. Shunsui said nothing, but glanced over to him surreptitiously, an inquiry which was not lost on him. Kisuke barely stifled a snigger as he watched his two old friends, and Ukitake, hearing the snort from the other side of the table, started to grin despite himself.
"My apologies," addressed Ukitake to Ulquiorra, trying and failing to hide his smile.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2007 12:06 am

Urahara slid Ishida's full mug closer to the arrancar and smiled slightly as Shunsui continued to laugh.

"Please, take a drink and join us!" Urahara called loudly, lifting his mug invitingly.

"Yes, please join us." Uryuu mumbled quietly, making an effort to smile yet failing marvelously.

"He doesn't get out much, and I apologize in advance." Urahara whispered loudly to Shunsui and Ukitake, a merry twinkle in his eyes.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: