board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

New Digs!

Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 87 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
yovargas
Post subject: Re: New Digs!
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 2:03 pm

I demand you make everything perfect and exactly as I wish it to be this very instant!!!!!!! :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 2:11 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Here, this still works:

:salmon:

(Now if any computer-types want to tell me how to install something like a skin or a template, I'd be happy to pick up some of the slack from Jude and Alatar. I just can't seem to find the right place in the admin panel, but, as I said in the Business Room, maybe that's a good thing! :P)

I am liking the new place. It has some really cool features. Even though I can't find what I'm looking for in the admin panel regarding templates (:blackeye:), it is really spiffy, with tons more options for things.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 2:24 pm
through the looking glass

Congratulations, guys!

Just popping in to say may you thrive and prosper.

(yes, I still lurk from time to time ... old habits die hard :D )

Sass

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 2:32 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Yo, Sassy! :wave:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 2:34 pm

*lassos Sassy for megahug*

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 2:41 pm
Aspiring to heresy

LalaithUrwen wrote:
(Now if any computer-types want to tell me how to install something like a skin or a template, I'd be happy to pick up some of the slack from Jude and Alatar. I just can't seem to find the right place in the admin panel, but, as I said in the Business Room, maybe that's a good thing! :P)
I installed a whole bunch of skins for TOB - mind you, that was over two years ago, and it was for phpbb2. But it should be easy enough to figure out again.

It does involve uploading files via the cPanel. Are you comfortable doing that? If not, we can schedule another YM session and I can walk you through it.

Incidentally, the "Quote" button now appears at the bottom of posts, not the top. I predict a lot of people will quote the wrong post, and that other people will ask "Huh? What does that have to do with what you quoted?"

Experience has shown that my predictions are 11.46 times as reliable as those of Pat Robertson. :nerd:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 2:43 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Thank you very much, Jude.

This is my first post on the new board

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 3:04 pm
Same as it ever was

Jude wrote:

Incidentally, the "Quote" button now appears at the bottom of posts, not the top. I predict a lot of people will quote the wrong post, and that other people will ask "Huh? What does that have to do with what you quoted?"

Experience has shown that my predictions are 11.46 times as reliable as those of Pat Robertson. :nerd:
11.46 times zero is still zero...

But, yeah, I can see how that will be a problem, since I nearly just did that. :D

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 3:08 pm

Hi, Nin and Sass! And everyone!

Yep, as a ranger, I have the edit button open, too, so I went to edit my post but it was actually someone else's. I was like, :scratch: till I figured out the different placement issue.

Jude, yeah, I guess you'd have to show me. I don't want to mess anything up.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 3:54 pm

Well, the difference in shading between one post and the next should help people quote the right post!

And I'm getting used to the font size. I gave up on the other skin, because even when I changed the font size back to the default, I was STILL getting avatars on the wrong side of the page, and my brain just couldn't handle that! :blackeye: Sig pics were on the left, avatars on the right...too confusing!

Great job, guys and gals! Thank you for all your hard work!

Oh, and Yov?

Nice to have our smilies back! :D

(Waves to Alandriel and Sassy) Good to see you around! Don't be such strangers! :)

Lali, welcome to one of the most embarrassing dangers of Modom! It happens to every moderator/administrator eventually! :oops:

Last edited by Sunsilver on Sat 13 Sep , 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 3:57 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I like the feature that allows us to ignore certain users. However that ended up here, thanks to Jude for all his work (and please let us know what your paypal account name is so we can start sending mula over).

:hug:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 4:48 pm

Good tip on the different shades, Sunny.

E*, I'm wondering if the person you're ignoring knows you're ignoring them?

Who wants to be my guinea pig? :)

ETA: There is also a place to report posts. Did you guys see that? The exclamation point at the bottom of everyone's posts. It goes to a mod panel, where we can see what the problem is. (I reported my own post to see what happened.)

We can also issue warnings, too. :shrug: I'm not sure what that would do, actually. Anyone want to be warned for something? :D

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 5:11 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me!

Warn me to spend less time on the computer and more time playing with my dogs!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 5:21 pm

Very well, Mister. I shall warn you. :tsktsk:

<goes to get ruler>

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 5:51 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

LalaithUrwen wrote:
E*, I'm wondering if the person you're ignoring knows you're ignoring them?
Dunno! I got some sort of "hey, you can't do that" message when I added several names, with commas between them. Adding one at a time seems to be working thus far.

If you haven't already, feel free to make me a guinnea pig on that one. You know I've already posted in this thread, so it won't be hard to figure out what an ignored post looks like!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 6:21 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So when you look up a user, you can also see the amount of warnings they've received. :blackeye:

You can also look up the log of Administrator Actions. Most of it is boring stuff such as "So-and-so successfully logged in." But I see that Alatar also warned Lali about something. Anything you guys wanna share? :poke:

I changed the "Amount of days before a warning expires from the system" from the default 90 to 1 because I didn't want to have the trial warning on my record for that long. :D We should probably change it back at some point.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 6:32 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Here, this still works:

I am liking the new place. It has some really cool features. Even though I can't find what I'm looking for in the admin panel regarding templates (:blackeye:), it is really spiffy, with tons more options for things.

Lali
My memory is a little fuzzy, but there were two threads in the "hidden" forum that detailed a lot of board operations like adding smilies etc. One was the ranger handbook, but I forget what the other one was called. There may be something in one of those threads that may help with things like adding new skins.
I know this version of phpbb is different, but the thread may give enough clues as to how it works.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 6:38 pm

What hidden forum? There are no hidden forums. :whistle:

(Seriously, I did find the help board, and I guess I could wade through that at some point. But I should take a look for the threads of which you speak--if they actually existed somewhere, that is.)

E*, I'm going to make a foe of you. :( Don't take it personally. I just want to see what it does.

But, um, you've added multiple names? :Q (You could add them one on a line, iow, separate them by line, not commas. I know this from the friends feature.)

ETA: :doh1: Can't add you, E*! You're a moderator!

Any other volunteers?

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 6:39 pm
Same as it ever was

I know this is a minor nitpick, but (at some point) can we change the size of the emoticon icons available when the window is fully expanded? Too many of them are so shrunk that I would not know what they were if I did not already recognize them from before.

And, I do not understand what the "report" button does - do those currently acting as mods/rangers get notified somehow? Does it identify who did the reporting? Should I test it out on one of you, or do any of you already know what it does? Does a report issue a warning, or is that a ranger/mod function? If so, I do not see how it can be used arbitrarily, so there is no real change there.

Overall, I quite like it, thanks to all of you!! But, if we could standardize the size of the panel that displays avatars, it would be nice, right now, my page zigzags all over the place when it comes to reading responses.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 13 Sep , 2008 6:44 pm

I've tried to fix the smilie situation and haven't made much progress. The larger ones and any that are animated appear smaller. I'm not sure we have a choice on that. I could look in the phBB forums, though.

The report button sends a notice to the mod panel, letting us know there's a problem. Yes, it does identify who did the reporting but not to the person who is being reported. (At least I don't think so, as I reported myself.) If you want to report a post, go ahead.

The warning is a mod/Ranger function only.

Can't help you on the avatar panel. I'm using subsilver2, and it's not too bad.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 87 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: