board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Les Misérables

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
Sieglinde
Post subject: Les Misérables
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 3:47 pm

Well, it could have gone to the Music section, too, but the book is first. You can also discuss the msucial and the movies here.

I'm re-reading the Brick right now. Do so pretty often. I love its world and the characters.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject: Re: Les Misérables
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 5:38 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I've been reading it on and off for a while. I haven't looked at it in a while though, because I have so much reading for college, but I wish I could!

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 10:13 pm
of Vinyamar

I started it once and got too bored to finish. Thats incredibly rare for me...

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 10:50 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I saw the Liam Neeson film and would happily try it out in any other medium. Especially after my grandfather's funeral, where the replacement priest pronounced it "less miz-er-ah-bulls" in a particularly thick Caribbean accent. He was just reading out some memories on behalf of my aunt, and I guess they'd seen the musical a number of times together awww. So yeah, I gotta get in on that sometime. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Sieglinde
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 4:29 pm

The Liam Neeson movie... oh, yes. The Force is strong with Valjean! And Cosette is hysterical and Marius is... well... actually Marjolras.

But Geoffrey Rush steals the show. That movie made me a Javert-fan.

Movies I've seen:

1957 Gabin - awwwww. Great. Gabin is Valjean Incarnate. And Bourvil!Thénardier is a dirty little rat, that is, genius.

1978 Jordan, Perkins - This is a must see for all LotR fans, because it has Gollum Fantine, Bilbo Thénardier, and Marius was Frodo's voice in that Bakshi (sp?) animation... Plus Norman Bates!Javert. That is, his soul is pretty complicated and filled with opressed desires. And soooo much Valjean/Javert gazings. And sometimes, Javert looks like Spock. And he's hot.

1982 Ventura - another great and very book-faithful version, a little surreal and very artistic. And dark. A lot of adorable little book moments. Plus a Javert who looks like a Bergman hero and has a beautiful speaking voice. And an Éponine who's ugly and dirty.

1998 - well, as a movie, it's good, as an adaptation... :Q I mean: Valjean slapping Cosette? That is Valjean, the super-saint almost-angel. Javert threatening Cosette with a gun? Okay, this Cosette was annoying, but still.
Thank God Rush saved the movie.

2000 miniseries - worst. version. ever. Valjean: "I love Cosette." Marius: "Yes. As a father." Valjean: "No. I LOVE Cosette."
Plus: Emo Éponine in a ball gown. Malkovich with a Snape Hairdo and leather coat. And he hisses all the time and speaks veeery slooowly. Über-ugly Marius with an eyeliner. Oh, and everyone has sideburns EXCEPT Javert.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:13 pm
of Vinyamar

What was the French movie where the main character was being compared to Valjean all the time, and his life began to mirror the story of Les Misérables? It was excellent, I remember that much.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 01 Dec , 2008 4:53 pm

Years ago I took my two kids to New York City and we had tickets to see both PHANTOM and LEZ MIZ. We saw PHANTOM on the first night with Michael Crawford and everybody loved it. Then we saw LM on night two.

Big mistake.

I almost bought into it until the one scene where the two young lovers entered the stage from opposite ends and proceeded to walk backwards across the stage until they bumped together in the center. They turned and fell in love.

And right there I wanted to stand up and scream "let me outta here".

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 01 Dec , 2008 4:58 pm
of Vinyamar

Wow! Cynical much?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 11 Dec , 2008 5:50 pm

Alatar - don't you think scenes like that pretty much depend greatly on the willingness to suspend disbelief and just "go with it" because you make a choice to do it?

For me that scene looked like something out of a high school play - and it just did not work for me.

I sure did love Phantom however.

:)

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Fri 12 Dec , 2008 5:44 pm

You thought les mis had more of a high school musical feel than phantom!?

:Q

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 27 Dec , 2008 7:42 pm

what i said was the Les Mis scene of he two young people walking backwards across the stage from opposite ends, then bumping into each other, turning and falling in love... that reeked of bad high school writing, staging and direction... not to mention the acting of that scene.....

I guess you could say that was the deal breaker for me since it captured so many absolutely negative things all at the same moment

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sat 27 Dec , 2008 11:38 pm
of Vinyamar

To each their own I suppose!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sun 28 Dec , 2008 1:25 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

What a concept.

Crucifer, high schoolers can't hit those notes. :P At least, not according to the musical my asshole brother was in. They did lots of Les Mis, nothing from Phantom. Insanity!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sun 28 Dec , 2008 7:40 pm

Quote:
Crucifer, high schoolers can't hit those notes.
:scratch:

Of course they can! That depends on the voice, not the age. Naturally, someone with experience and so on is more likely to be able to hit super Es, but some people can just do it.
Quote:
not according to the musical my asshole brother was in. They did lots of Les Mis
Maybe that's because there isn't any Phantom in Les Mis... It's all Les Mis. ;)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 29 Dec , 2008 9:36 am

For ze first part, eet was a joke. I don't doubt even guys can hit those notes, and without the "aid" of a kick to the nuts.

The second part, if you are joking, *I* don't get it. I wouldn't expect Phantom songs in a production of Les Mis, but when the theme is "high school musical" and they perform selections from say Momma Mia, Grease, and Rent, there's nothing wrong with hoping to hear a favorite or two.

Anyhoo.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: