The Last Homely Site on the Web

Got soup recipes?

Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Eruname
Post subject: Re: Got soup recipes?
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 8:55 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Yep! I'd never encountered one until I visited the UK.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 9:07 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

It hurts terribly. I can't imagine anyone ever deciding it'd be a good idea to mess with that plant for any reason! If you read the Wikipedia article, though, you'll see it has some medicinal purposes, as well as culinary uses.

I always wonder, "Who was the first person who had to try that plant (or fruit or mushroom) to find out whether it was edible or poisonous?" It seems like a short straw situation. "Okay, Grog. You eat glow in dark mushroom. We watch."

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 9:48 pm
Same as it ever was

LalaithUrwen wrote:
It hurts terribly. I can't imagine anyone ever deciding it'd be a good idea to mess with that plant for any reason! If you read the Wikipedia article, though, you'll see it has some medicinal purposes, as well as culinary uses.

I always wonder, "Who was the first person who had to try that plant (or fruit or mushroom) to find out whether it was edible or poisonous?" It seems like a short straw situation. "Okay, Grog. You eat glow in dark mushroom. We watch."

Lali
:damnfunny:

I also always wondered that, in fact, when one thinks of many foods, one has to sort of wonder who was the first brave soul to eat it and find out if it was indeed tasty or not. Imagine what a raw crab, shrimp, or lobster looked like to someone starving and really hungry? :Q On a related note, I was just reading an article on colonial NE during the early settlement days, and people there literally got sick of HAVING to eat lobster and oysters day in and day out.

Eru -

Nettles sort of sting AND itch, if that makes sense, you never want to accidentally weed them out of a place without wearing gloves, they are far worse than thistles or some other prickly plants. They make one's skin blister and they are nearly as bad (IMO) as poison ivy or poison oak, although you do heal up a bit faster. I do wonder who was so starving that they made nettle soup out of sheer necessity, probably some poor serf or peasant, and then it turned into what is probably a good soup!

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 10:43 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I'm thoroughly familiar with nettles now Watcher. In fact, we have a large patch of them not 20 ft from the front of our property. We just didn't have them in Texas though we did have poison oak and ivy.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 10:54 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Nettles aren't looked upon with fear, more a practical joke form of mild discomfort. The rash doesn't last and can be lessened with a dock leaf rubbed on to the spot. They host a lot of pretty butterflies and make a good activator for a compost heap. They grow everywhere and providing I wasnt in shorts I'd be happy to walk through a thick clump of them. If I get stung by them gardening or walking I mutter a bit then forget it. Young nettle shoots sting from the very first sprigs. The annual nettle stings even more than the perennial. We also have some dead-nettles with coloured flowers that are harmless but they aren't edible.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 11:10 pm
Aspiring to heresy

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
We also have some dead-nettles with coloured flowers that are harmless but they aren't edible.
Did you or one of your ancestors find that out by trial and error? :D

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 11:16 pm
Same as it ever was

Tosh, then I think our nettles around my parts are much more "poisonous" because, unless I am overly sensitive to them, I got blisters and rashes from just either weeding them out without garden gloves or even brushing up against them while in shorts and ankle socks. They were most unpleasant on my hands, since they would cause swelling and those little prickers or whatever would sometimes become infected very quickly when they got under the skin. Or maybe it was just the little blisters that did.

I did not find them at all pleasant, where as I could tackle Canadian thistles with the best of them. :)

But, it appears that nettles are very nutritious when cooked, so, I will keep that in mind next Spring. Now I just need to con someone into collecting the nettles for me.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 11:24 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

My Uncle Grog told me Jude. When he wasn't high out of his head.

Your nettles may be fiercer than ours Watcher but our ones certainly raise blisters from the merest touch. They just dont last more than 2 or 3 hours. They are more an annoyance than a danger.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Sat 06 Dec , 2008 3:51 pm
DomiKNITrix

EDIT: Just had a bowl of this soup and it is very filling. It is more of a stew by now than a soup, but that is fine by me. Here's a pic.

I am not at all a soup person, but this thread did have me crave some for ages! Basically since you guys started posting. So now I finally have the ingredients for a chicken soup of my own. I never made one from scratch before so I have no idea how it will turn out. Anyway, it is simmering now and there is still about an hour to go. I'll post the recipe anyway even before having tasted it. I just used veggies I know I like and it looks like there is more in it than in the recipes I have found elsewhere so far.

Ingredients:
  • * large celery
    * a big onion
    * broccoli
    * 4 carrots
    * a tin of sweet corn
    * 1 leek
    * 1 chicken
    * noodles (in my case Asian noodles)
    * salt and pepper to taste (if all else fails, some vegetable stock will do too)
Use a large pot, scrub the chicken and put it in the pot with water just covering it. Set it to the boil and add the veggies as you chop them. Add the whole onion (cut into 4 big chunks), a few broccoli florets and the chopped stem, half the celery, carrots (sliced lengthwise), half the sweet corn, and half a leek. Let all of it simmer on medium heat for 2 hours. Remove foam whenever necessary.

Once the time was up, remove the chicken as well as the broccoli stem. You can remove all the veggies if you prefer, since the vitamins will have been boiled out of them anyway.

Strip the chicken after it has cooled a bit. Keeping the remaining stock boiling on medium heat as before, add the remaining fresh veggies and the chicken meat to it. Flavour with salt, pepper and veggie stock and let simmer till the veggies are tender. Finally, add your noodles of choice and boil them in the soup for as long as required. Ready to serve.

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 06 Dec , 2008 6:19 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Congratulations on your first home-made chicken soup! :toast:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Sat 06 Dec , 2008 6:24 pm
DomiKNITrix

Thanks! :D Come over and help me finish the huge pot I have of it. :uhoh:

Does anyone have a good chicken corn soup recipe by any chance? I used to love the kind we used to have in a Chinese restaurant in Bangladesh. I remember it was almost gelatinous. I've never had that kind again though we have tried to recreate it.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sat 06 Dec , 2008 6:54 pm
Best friends forever

The gelatinous aspect is because they use those horrid baby corns, cob and all. :help:

And lots of bones. That makes it gelatinous.

Although others feel differently, I think you should make the stock one day and make the soup the next day.

Corn Chowder:

A 2 pound bag of frozen corn kernels (NOT the whole cobs) or 3 or 4 cans of Green Giant Niblets brand corn
2 litres chicken stock
1 litre whipping cream

If using canned corn, dump the corn AND its liquid into a pot, add the well-flavoured chicken stock
Bring to a quick boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes.

With an immersion blender, blend it pretty well, but leave few kernels whole.

Dump in a litre of heavy cream, season, and enjoy.

You can make this with fresh corn in the summer, of course.

You can also add some crumbled cooked bacon at the end.

The trick to soup like this is your stock. You use exactly the same method for making cream of broccoli, cream of cauliflower.

I make a lot of soup. Right now I have a big pot of Black Bean soup warming up.

Black bean soup

Soak overnight in water that covers them by at LEAST 3 inches, about 2 - 3 cups of black beans (turtle beans)
The next morning, drain the beans, cover them with fresh water or stock or a water and stock combination, and put on to boil. When the boil, turn the heat down, cover them and simmer them while you are:

chopping 2 large onions
mincing 4 garlic cloves

Gently sweat these items in either olive oil or maybe some chopped bacon, whichever you like. While sweating them, chuck in a half a teaspoon of red pepper flakes and a bay leaf, a few whole black peppercorns. It doesn't matter if the onions brown a bit, but keep the heat low so the garlic doesn't burn.

The beans should be getting tender. Put the onion/garlic/seasoning mix in and simmer until the beans are tender.

Then add, if you want, some stewed tomatoes (2 small cans, or 1 large 28 oz can) and maybe some salsa. Taste for seasoning.

Serve with a glob of sour cream in each bowl.

This is divine. And it is even more divine if you serve it over rice, Cuban style.

You can use canned beans. Do not discard the canning water, it's got good bean stuff in it.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Sat 06 Dec , 2008 7:01 pm
DomiKNITrix

Thanks vison, I shall try that someday.
Quote:
The gelatinous aspect is because they use those horrid baby corns, cob and all. :help:

And lots of bones. That makes it gelatinous.
Okay, I think I'll not try to make it gelatinous. :blackeye: It was much nicer not knowing this.

Tomorrow I a going to freeze some of my soup so I can have it when I feel like it. I don't fancy having only this for an entire week now.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Sat 06 Dec , 2008 8:27 pm
wencherific

I don't have a recipe, but a common chicken corn soup we have here that I like contains chicken stock, corn, chicken (those things obviously :P), sliced hard boiled eggs, and rivels. Likely something completely different, though. :P

Probably quite similar to this recipe... linky ...seeing as it's noted as being 'Pennsylvania Dutch' and I sort of live in that region.

Mmmm...I could go for some soup now. :yummy:

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Sat 06 Dec , 2008 8:35 pm
DomiKNITrix

The chicken corn soup I know was quite clear and it had bits of egg white in it that was added to the soup while cooking. I wish I remembered the taste so that at least guessing what might have been in it were easier!

Are rivels simple dumplings? I found them in a recipe for the soup and they were just made of flour and egg there. I do love dumplings in vegetable soups, btw. :drool: Semolina dumplings are perfect.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Sat 06 Dec , 2008 10:57 pm
Milk and kisses

You can make any soup gelatinous by mixing in a little cornflour (cornstarch) with water and then addign the mixture to the soup. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Sat 06 Dec , 2008 10:58 pm
Same as it ever was

We actually are talking about three different recipes here, folks.

Silwen is describing a Chinese style chicken corn soup, which is technically not authentic because it does have those ( I agree horrid) little baby corns in them, anf uses eggs for a major thickener along with cornstarch.

Amrunelen is describing a classic Pennsylvania Dutch corn chowder, which is almost stewlike, and very rich with little dumplings (the rivels) and often added stuff like bacon and/or salt pork.

vison is talking about a typical North American corn soup, which at its best is made with broth, corn, dairy, and some simple seasonings, it is superb when you can make it with fresh picked corn. Although, I never used heavy cream, I just used plain old lowfat milk and then cheated a bit by swirling in some butter. You know what else goes well into this very basic sort of summer styled soup? Some fresh green beans, simply add a cup or two of cleaned sliced green beans to that soup at the same time you throw in the raw corn and you would be amazed how good it is. vison is also correct in that same basic base will make nearly any cream of vegetable soup taste heavenly. If you want, go the full fat route with the cream, but, I have found if one likes veggies, the soups are just as good using milk, although they certainly will be thinner and less unctuous.

That reminds me of another recipe which I got from my former MIL. It is Poor Man's Soup, which is what her mother called it. I think it is Polish or thereabouts in origin. It was basically taking boiled, skinned and sliced potatoes, precooked green beans, and then cooking up a soup with basically milk, a bit of onion, some flour and butter to thicken it all, and then salt and pepper. It is surprisingly good. We always served it with a dollop of sour cream, some grated cheddar or jack cheese, and a bit of dill.

Last edited by The Watcher on Sun 07 Dec , 2008 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Dave Barry

Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
theduffster
Posted: Sun 07 Dec , 2008 1:02 am
Damn those Amish!!

These corn chowder recipes are perfect timing! I want to make soups that I can freeze ahead and give to my father-in-law as well. He's a retired farmer who still grows lots of sweet corn, and he gives us lots of corn, so I want to give him some back. :love: :love:

Rune, I haven't had rivels for a loong time! Your post made me hungry for some. :cheers:

[ img ]

Gob: Return from whence you came!!

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Sun 07 Dec , 2008 1:35 am
DomiKNITrix

Berhael wrote:
You can make any soup gelatinous by mixing in a little cornflour (cornstarch) with water and then addign the mixture to the soup. :)
I must remember this. Thanks, Ber!

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Sun 07 Dec , 2008 1:40 am
Triathlete

Watcher, your "poor man's soup" is essentially my mom's clam chowder, if you add a can of clams, including the broth, at the last few minutes of cooking.

I just made this yummy soup:

TURKEY PEA SOUP
Boil down a turkey carcass, then taking out the bones and leave the broth, a cup of meat, a little skin, and the fat on top.
Add water to make about 8 cups.
As soon as it came to a boil, drop in about 8 ripe cherry tomatoes and then immediately fished them out to remove the skins - they split and peel almost immediately. Return the naked tomatoes to the pot.
Then add:
1 small bag dry yellow split peas (the size that says "add this to 8 cups water")
(Since I'm adding carrots and tomatoes, yellow peas make a nicer blended color than green peas would)
4 carrots, large chunks
1 large onion, large chunks
5 cloves garlic, cut into a few pieces
1 tsp dill (all I had left)
2 TBSP curry
2 TBSP poultry seasoning
1 tsp paprika
salt if you really must (I don't)

As it boils down, stir it to prevent scorching on the bottom, and watch out for the hot lava-like spitting it will do when it gets thick. You may need to add a little more water, until the peas are "al dente" or softer.

Then use a blender or hand blender on it until smooth. If you want soup with discernible lumps, only blend 3/4 of it.

Tastes great with a dollop of sour cream. Or to make my children cringe, I like a squirt of ketchup.

Oh, about those nettles - the first and last time I ever encountered nettles was when I ran thru a meadow full of them, in shorts! I wonder if the first people to use them were doing so for medicinal purposes. I just took a class last week in making acorn mush. Takes about a day of labor and if you leave out a step, the results are completely inedible. I imagine the whole process evolved over generations of bad tasting acorn stew eaten by people who were too hungry to complain.

Maria, I like your idea (on the first page) of boiling the chicken parts separately. I make a very nourishing whole-chicken soup for my daughter when she gets a bad cold, but she objects to the little unidentified parts floating around in it.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: