Got soup recipes?

Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
theduffster
Post subject: Re: Got soup recipes?
Posted: Sun 07 Dec , 2008 2:56 am
Damn those Amish!!

laureanna wrote:

Tastes great with a dollop of sour cream. Or to make my children cringe, I like a squirt of ketchup.
(cringes)

:salmon:

[ img ]

Gob: Return from whence you came!!

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 07 Dec , 2008 3:29 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Are rivels the same as spaetzles? Did I spell spaetzles right? :blackeye: (I'm too lazy to go look it up.) I had some of my mom's bean soup tonight--with homemade spaetzles. Mmmmm. :drool:

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Sun 07 Dec , 2008 2:39 pm
DomiKNITrix

Spaetzle (or Spätzle) is already plural. (At least here. ;))

Now I want proper spaetzle too! I have never had the in soup before and I prefer them just like potatoes or pasta with something that as gravy. :yummy: Do you also know Schupfnudeln?

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Sun 07 Dec , 2008 10:10 pm
Same as it ever was

Lali -

Rivels from what I know are basically "little lumps" that one adds to soup by mixing together some eggs and flour, maybe a bit of salt, and then adding this all to a simmering pot of soup and letting it all form tiny dumplings. There is no forming per se, you just swirl in the mixture and then stir it about to break it up and then let it cook. Spaetzle is similar, although more of a proper egg noodle dough, which I believe is grated in or chopped off into tiny bits in a soup or plain old boiling water, more of a little noodle sort of thing, although those are also delicious. IOW, rivels are the lazy version of making spaetzle.

Last edited by The Watcher on Mon 08 Dec , 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
theduffster
Posted: Sun 07 Dec , 2008 11:46 pm
Damn those Amish!!

Rivels are much less substantial than spaetzle. They dissolve on the tongue, practically, but spaetzle are bigger and chewier. I've seen rivels made by rubbing the dough between your fingers and letting the bits fall into the soup. My mom made spaetzle by holding a plate with the dough over the soup, and flicking chunks off with her knife into the soup.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Mon 08 Dec , 2008 12:24 am
Same as it ever was

theduffster wrote:
Rivels are much less substantial than spaetzle. They dissolve on the tongue, practically, but spaetzle are bigger and chewier. I've seen rivels made by rubbing the dough between your fingers and letting the bits fall into the soup. My mom made spaetzle by holding a plate with the dough over the soup, and flicking chunks off with her knife into the soup.
I agree with that, I only ever ate spaetzle at various local German restaurants, but it was delicious, and more like a proper noodle/dumpling although very small in size. The best version I think I ever had was just spaetzle in a brown butter sauce with toasted bread crumbs on top of it. There was probably a bit more to the dish, but it was so yummy. :drool:

OTOH, I have made rivels, and they are no work at all, just added to soups to really thicken them up and make them quite hearty. Think of it, if you like, as a deliberately lumpy sort of gravy that you make. :) It sounds bad, but, in the proper soup, they ARE good.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 08 Dec , 2008 2:44 am

theduffster wrote:
My mom made spaetzle by holding a plate with the dough over the soup, and flicking chunks off with her knife into the soup.
Yes, that's how my mom makes them. They are small but rather substantial (and the best part of the soup, imo). I didn't realize spaetzle was already plural. :blackeye:

I guess I'm not sure I've had rivels, then, as it doesn't sound familiar.

What are Schupfnudeln? (I see noodle in there. :) )

Watcher, spaetzle in brown gravy with toasted bread crumbs sounds yummy! I'll have to look in my Amish cookbook to see if it might be in there by chance.

Okay, now the best is my grandma's chicken paprikas. With spaetzle-ish things in it. :drool:

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Mon 08 Dec , 2008 2:33 pm
DomiKNITrix

Schupfnudeln are made of potatoes and often eaten with vanilla sauce. I know it was a common lunch at the last school I went to and I never had it because I thought pasta with vanilla sauce was weird. I didn't know it wasn't pasta at all at the time. :blackeye: My dictionary described them as "a type of thick noodles made of potatoes, flour and eggs". They are about as long and thick as a finger, with pointy ends. They look a bit like snails. :LMAO: In supermarkets you get them like this. I think this is a bavarian speciality, but I am not sure. Anyway, I like them best just fried in a bit of oil or butter. You can do all kinds of fancy things with them, though. Not in soup though.. so [/OT] :whistle:

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 08 Dec , 2008 2:35 pm
Aspiring to heresy

That sounds interesting. So with the vanilla sauce, is it a sweet or savoury dish?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Mon 08 Dec , 2008 2:42 pm
DomiKNITrix

Sweet, then, which is why I thought it the oddest thing that anyone would have that for lunch. I prefer the savoury variety. Even just fried with a bit of cheese or onions is great.

Profile Quote
theduffster
Posted: Fri 12 Dec , 2008 2:39 am
Damn those Amish!!

Getting back to soup, I made a big pot today. I got home from work, threw some chicken broth in a pot, and chopped up some carrots. Ellie tore up spinach and threw that in. We dumped in some tiny, pre-made meatballs. I heated it to a near-boil, and added tortellini. It was sooo good and so easy!! From start to finish was about 30 minutes.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 12 Dec , 2008 11:16 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

And getting back to Schupfnudeln :P They sound a bit like the gnocchi-like dumplings I sometimes make with leftover cooked potato. I mash the potato up, mix it with flour, egg, cheese, salt and a good amount of nutmeg and drop the spoonfuls into boiling water. I suppose they are a bit bigger than walnuts. Oh yes, sometimes for variety I might add a little polenta to the mix. Perhaps your grits might work in the US. It's more of a principle than a recipe for me so I add whatever I feel like. When they float and bob about for about 5 moments in the boiling water I fish them out and keep adding more. The cooking water gets pretty murky. (I never use a nutmeg grater by the way, I just shave a nutmeg with a sharp knife and mince the shavings well. It's much quicker and I end up with more nutmeg)
The 'gnocchi' might then get baked with a tomato sauce or fried in a pan with butter and olive oil, in either case ending with cheese on top. In fact more ideas for using them would be welcome. They seem a bit too substantial for soups and the way I make them too liable to break up to make them much smaller. Spinach is coming to mind as an ingredient of the dumplings or as a covering sauce. Hmmmm.

Just had a knock on the door. It was the postman bringing my Sekrit Santa parcel from the US. :banana: :thewave: :cheerleader: :dance: :cow:

Now all I have to do is find out who it's from. :D Oh there's a name on the front but it's one of those weird 'real' names.
I won't open it quite yet, I'll wait for an audience but thanks to the sender. I shall discover your real real name before long.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Fri 12 Dec , 2008 11:26 am
DomiKNITrix

Duffster, you have me craving tortellini now. Your soup sounds easy and very tasty so I must keep this in mind. I have no idea why I never liked soups. :scratch:

Last night I warmed up my soup and it was even tastier than the first time when it was fresh!

You guys are too resourceful, you know that? :P

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 2:42 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

We just had the nettle soup again. It's the right time of year with soft young shoots. A bowl full of rich Spring greenery.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 2:52 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Tosh, your timing is great! I've been smelling the nettles ever since they really shot up this spring, and I've been wondering about how to cook them, because I don't know anybody who does! Perhaps when I finish this silly Plath essay I'll treat myself to a walk to the woods and some very tentative harvesting, as opposed to the usual fry-up. :D

This thread is fantastic. I'm always interested in learning how to cook different soups. I only really have one recipe to add to the mix, but it is my own. :) (It is very unsophisticated and fatty, but it is excellent for feeding student types).

Pippin's Famous Winter Soup

3 Shallots
1 Sweet Potato
1 Courgette
2 Carrots

Cube the sweet potato and carrots, and begin to fry them.* Make a roux while they cook, and add the chopped shallots and courgette as you wait for the roux to reach the boil. (Lazy cooking is lazy). Combine the vegetables and roux in a large saucepan or wok and simmer until you get bored waiting, and throw everything in a blender with some mixed herbs to bring out the sweetness of the vegetables a bit.
The most important thing is to eat it hot with crusty bread, preferably tiger bread.

*What's that word, you know, when you fry something, but in a kind of half-assed way?

-Pips-

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 12:27 pm

Saute?

Why is that fattening? Other than the roux, I don't see anything else. Do you add any kind of broth? (Not that I would ever make this, I'm afraid to say, though it sounds lovely. I hate sweet potatoes.)

Tosh, do the nettles have their stings yet? :neutral:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 12:55 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Most of the other recipes in here seem to be for clear soups. Mine's really heavy, and the healthy-looking ingredients still get fried, and so my family like to make me feel guilty about it. :P That's the whole of the recipe, btw. To change the consistency you'd use more or less milk in the roux. :) And yes, saute is totally the word. You saute the potatoes and carrots. :D

The two awesome things about it are that it is really sweet, and that it is bright yellow. :D

-Pips-

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 1:25 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I am far more vulgar. I sweat my cubed veg: in butter of course.

I do a similar soup to Pips's. I use a butternut squash rather than a sweet potato and use plenty of nutmeg. As a fellow member of the lazy cook club I use a potato masher thoroughly rather than get the blender out. I prefer the more varied texture with lumpy bits in it.

Lali, nettles sting from their very first moments. This week I just took a plastic bowl down the garden and snipped the tips off with scissors into the bowl; no fingers involved.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 4:14 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

If it makes you (or your family) feel better, Pips, even light soup recipes usually involve sauteing the ingredients. It just brings out the flavor, I think. But it depends on how much oil/butter you use to saute them. I don't generally use very much when I saute my vegetables, but I don't like too much oil in things for the most part.

Here's my recipe for Tomato Barley soup. Got it from the internet but made some changes.

You need:

2-3 stalks of celery
2 big carrots
1 onion
3 or 4 cloves garlic, or however much you like
1 can of diced tomatoes with the juice
1/2 cup uncooked barley
4 cups stock (I use vegetable, you can use chicken)

Saute the celery, carrots, garlic, and onion right in a big soup pot with a bit of olive oil, until they're a bit soft--about 5 or 10 minutes. Then dump in the barley, the stock, the tomatoes, and some salt and pepper. I add some herbs at this point, usually basil and maybe some oregano but it's up to you. You don't even have to put the herbs in at all. Just make sure to have a really flavorful stock, since that will make the recipe. I like to add about another cup of water because I like a brothier soup. But it doesn't really matter. Bring all of the ingredients to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer for about 35-40 minutes, or until the barley is cooked. And that's it. :) Very simple but flavorful. It's also quite an adaptable recipe. You can add zucchini, cabbage, potato, or any other sort of vegetable depending on your preferences.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 4:26 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I like barley too. If you soaked it in cold water for half a day you could cut down on the cooking time probably.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: