The Last Homely Site on the Web

A basic Photoshop tutorial

Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 97 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 May , 2008 5:24 am
Takoyaki is love

OK I got photoshop elements a few months ago and I have finally decided to learn how to use it. How is it different from the full photoshop? To say the least the sales people didn't tell me there was a difference. I am sure I will have a ton more questions once I learn some of the basics in the quick edit tutorial. (I know nothing about layers for example).

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 May , 2008 11:37 pm
Takoyaki is love

OK I did a tiny bot of reading on layers. Is there a way to seperate an image into layers? I am trying to deal with scans and I want to figure out how to reduce/ get rid of moire lines and join 2 scans together. I think I need a baby step process of how to create layers.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 May , 2008 8:39 am
Takoyaki is love

I am realizing i am talking to myself (a cry for help!!), but I wanted to ask is there a way you can make the workspace bigger? I want to work with 2 different layers but I don't want them merged I just want to play around with them a bit before I attempt to put them together. I want to practice as I have a couple of posters to scan and I think they will 3 or 4 pieces that I will have to put together.

Right now I am working with a 2 page magazine scan from the internet. I just want to put the 2 layers next to each other without merging them so then I can edit the colour on one of them so they can match a bit more easily. I tried the panorama page merge and I realized i have to play around with the colour and I may have to redraw a little bit where the pages join (crud muffins)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 May , 2008 3:44 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Right. Start by working out how large your image is, and base what you want your finished image size to be based on that. (Say 800x12000 pixels.) When you open Photoshop create a file from scratch, and specify a width double that, say, and then you can drag and drop your images into the workspace, where they will become separate layers. (If it imports them as new documents, ctrl+a for select, ctrl+c for copy, go back to the original document and ctrl+v for paste). You can always crop down the finished piece.

Now this is just a guess, but I'm wondering if at any point you wanted to work on colouring some lineart? It took me a while to come up with a good method, so I might as well share. Start by opening your lineart. Duplicate the layer, and create a white layer between the two. Merge the white layer with the original image below (ctrl+e). Click on the copied image layer, and set the status in the layers window to 'multiply'. Create a new layer in between the lineart and the white layer, and paint away on that to your heart's content. Messing with the levels of the layer (under Edit I believe) can help substantially reduce the time for cleanup, and can also be used to darken lines to make lineart appear sharper. Sorry if that's all useless, I just saw it as potentially useful for your iconing.

Sorry for ramble.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 May , 2008 4:49 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

You could do as Pippin suggests, or you could arrange your workspace to see the two side-by-side. I close everything else I don't need. And then go to Window --> Arrange --> Tile Vertically (or Horizontally, depending on the orientation of your files and your preference).

Then you can even go back and forth between the files, picking colors off of one to put into another, to compare colors, styles, etc.

Now, this is in PS CS2, so I'm not sure what Elements has or doesn't have.

Once you figure out the layers thing, you will love it. :)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 May , 2008 8:55 pm
Takoyaki is love

Thanks I will try these things later tonight. Lali I tried to do the tile thing and when I copied one thing to another, they totally overlapped each other which is what I didn't want. I wanted then next to each other to get an idea of how I could join them in the middle, but there wasn't enough space. But I realized there are pixels missing in the middle.

Maybe I should try black and white stuff first. I would like to colour some line art *indecision*

Maybe I will post some of the stuff once I get over being embarrased (it's an anime 2 page scan, I just want to experiment on it)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 May , 2008 9:03 pm

I figured this was for scanlations......:D

Anyway, when you're copying and pasting, you should pick the option 'paste as new layer'. I'm not sure if Elements has it though. *shrugs*

As far as adding space goes, in photoshop 6 it's.....under the menu dropdown 'Image' and the selection 'canvas size'. I can't imagine it would be that different in elements, but I have no idea.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 May , 2008 9:04 pm

You should try Pippin's suggestion, then. Make a new file that is twice the size of one of your other files (or the size of both of them added together, plus a bit for wiggle room). Then copy both onto the new file. You can move them around, then, and do whatever else you need to (flip a layer, skew a layer, etc.).

We'd like to see your stuff! :) I mean, we can't help if we can't see it.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 May , 2008 11:06 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Liar Lali, we so totally can and are. :P

But yeah, I'm well and truly intrigued. :D (Which manga, at least?) Blatantly XXXHOLiC.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 May , 2008 12:00 am
Takoyaki is love

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 May , 2008 12:20 am

I would suggest getting the lines together first and then working with colors after saving the picture with the lines merged.

I'm going to toy around with it myself and see if I can give you any hints.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject: Re: A basic Photoshop tutorial
Posted: Tue 24 Feb , 2009 3:13 am

Bumping this for Holby. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Tue 24 Feb , 2009 3:16 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Thank you. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Tue 24 Feb , 2009 3:17 am

Now you have to tell me what it is you want a tutorial about. :poke:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Tue 24 Feb , 2009 3:22 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Like I know where to begin even.
Let me refresh myself with the tutorial and I will better be able to ask.

And thanks again. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 24 Feb , 2009 3:41 am

:nerd: Questions?

(Yeah, I'll try to answer and then someone will come along who actually knows what she's doing, like Pips or Eru.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Tue 24 Feb , 2009 9:34 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

The best way I can suggest to learn Photoshop is to google "Photoshop tutorials" and just pick one or two that look easy. Follow along in order to learn how to use certain functions and after a bit, the way photoshop works will start to sink in and you'll be able to experiment more. That's the way I did it.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 97 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Jump to: