The Last Homely Site on the Web

Dollhouse

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 53 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject: Re: Dollhouse
Posted: Wed 25 Mar , 2009 3:25 am
Another bright red day

Did anyone else seek last week's episode? I just watched it and I have so many thoughts/questions.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Wed 25 Mar , 2009 3:29 am

I just watched episode 3 and I gotta say I'm liking it less as it goes along, not more. His show concept has one serious flaw IMO: not a single likable character. That flaw is dragging down my interest in a potentially cool plot unfolding as the show continous.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Wed 25 Mar , 2009 3:47 am

I'm going to side with Yov here.

I was hoping I might get attached to a character, but...there isn't an option there. :roll:

The neighbor across the hall being a doll was obvious from her first appearance and their relationship is....meh. :suspicious:

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 9:44 am
Takoyaki is love

Has anyone seen ep 7. I saw 6 and 7 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and yeah I agree with Dawn on what she said about a certain plot point. But currently I am loving it. Ms.DeWitt has to be the wife of the Devil. I feel sorry for British people. I absolutely love the complex writing. I also liked how episode 6 questioned the state of willingness of the dolls, and poor Sierra, a thousand times. Can't wait for ep 8.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 1:12 pm

I'm still not impressed. I don't think I can be impressed ever, at this point...

I can sum up episode 7 quite simply.

Highlight to read, just in case I actually do manage to reveal something "spoilerish"

1) It's obviously being used as a recreational drug.
2) THE DOLLS ARE INVINCIBLE BECAUSE WE MADE THEM.
3) Oh wait, it's not being sold or used as a recreational drug, IT'S AIRBORNE.
4) Oh wait, it's transmitted by touch AND THE DOLLS WILL REMEMBER THINGS.
5) Oh look, Echo saves the day (again) but doesn't remember it (again)
6) There's a new doll now. Yay.

Okay. I'm not in a good mood today, so that's probably a little harsh.... :salmon: But I think it's a good summary.

I'm still not impressed with the neighbor either. Perhaps we're not supposed to be, at this point, but really...? :suspicious: Who didn't see that coming (again)?

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Wed 01 Apr , 2009 1:41 am
Another bright red day

I thought Episode 7 was great. It was somewhat reminiscent of Band Candy from Buffy. Loved that they had a bit more humour, and was glad that this ended up being more of a character development episode than anything else.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 4:02 am
Takoyaki is love

I don't remember Band Candy.

i think the character development stuff is important. Yovi pointed out what some of the critics initially thought about the show, with a main character changing personalities every week, how are you going to like them, or feel anything for them. Now that we know some background and some stuff has been confirmed (volunteers my ass).
I think it will be a bit of smoother sailing.
I love how, just like on a computer nothing can ever be completely deleted.

i don't know if I would go as far as to tell people to skip the first 4 or 5 episodes.Maybe the first one though since it was kind of ugh, but i think it's worth it to keep sticking with it.

Mossy, what do you think of the secret message sent to the cop? Do you think it was the Dollhouse just setting him up or that someone in the Dollhouse is trying to bring it down?

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 4:08 am
Another bright red day

I definitely agree about the personality thing. It's difficult to build a show around a main character with no real personality, especially since characterization is one of Joss' main selling points. I love what you said about the computer, though. That's what's really going to make things interesting here.

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE SIX

Wilma, I was skeptical about that message, too, figuring it was a trap like Ballard's neighbor and Victor's informant personality, but apparently Joss said somewhere that it should be taken at face value for now.... I feel like the "for now" is very important, but I was wondering if Topher or eve Ms DeWitt was somehow becoming disenchanted? Topher is in a prime place to plant a message like that, but now I'm confused about what to think. What do you think?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 5:58 am
Takoyaki is love

Mossy,
What about Topher's assistant? Remember some brain glitch occurred and she suggested some changes to to make the personality work? It seems she knows a lot. Also we don't know much about Alpha. Is he getting help? Revealing how many Dollhouses there are (if it's true) is pretty serious and sensitive information to reveal to a cop. I am sure he could convince some people to find a Dollhouse outside the US. Especially an up and coming foreign politician who wants to overthrow the establishment.

Also we know from that information Ms. DeWitt, rather then being a big fish in a small pond, she is closer to being a cog in the wheel. She is not as powerful as we initially thought. So I currently think the message is real.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Fri 03 Apr , 2009 12:32 am

So! I just watched ep6. That certainly made things more interesting! I'm pretty confused what happened there at the end. In particular about the Echo scene. Why did they send her? What did she go to do? Why did she tell him all that stuff? What did all that stuff mean? (And why are there no cooks in that restaurant's kitchen!!? :D)

eta - Oh yeah, and I forgot, what was the deal with Victor and Sienna? I didn't understand the resolution of that bit. :scratch:

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Fri 03 Apr , 2009 2:57 am
Another bright red day

Yov -- I'm glad you thought so! Here's my understanding regarding your questions.

I don't remember exactly why they sent Echo (it's been over a week since I saw it and apparently Lost is the only show I can remember details of?) but I think (after a quick rewatch) that they really did send her to dissuade Ballard from looking further BUT someone fiddled with the imprint. Wilma, I think you could be right about Topher's assistant. Echo does say that someone imprinted that message while the programmer (presumably Topher) wasn't watching.

As far as Victor and Sierra, I think they just did a mindwipe on her so she doesn't remember and the conditioning her handler tried to use was also erased. Does that help or am I misreading your post?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Fri 03 Apr , 2009 8:40 am
Takoyaki is love

Yovi, thanks for continuing giving the show a try, I thought you gave up on it. I wanted to ask what episodes are worth skipping? I want to help people get into the show, but some of the first eps were a bit :suspicious: .

Ep 6 spoilers

At the end when Sierra invited Victor to look at the story, I think it was sort of symbolic that she trusts him again. That they can resume their friendship. After all she was deeply traumatized and appeared she was very afraid of him male friend (who obviously really loves her) . So basically hope for a romance (maybe) still continues.

In Whedon's shows he likes set up at least one set of characters for a possibility of a romance. Usually, starting with someone having a hidden crush on someone. Don't wanna give examples as I might spoil other series for you.

They sent Echo to 'deal with' Ballard Since they know he has a fixation on her and wants to rescue her. ( I mean really he quasi broke up with super-hot -yet- surprisingly -single neighbour-who-we-all-knew -was - a -doll from-the-start. I mean really, neighbour- chick was imprinted with the perfect personality for him and he still gave her up. :shock: ) Ballard would not mortaly harm Echo as he possibly could harm another Doll. (I mean he beat up an entire army of body guards to get to her.) Also it sends him a message that the Dollhouse knows about him and they are watching him. I am not sure if the message is real or not, but I lean more toward it being real.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Mon 06 Apr , 2009 3:03 am

EP7 was interesting. Finally getting the backstory helps the show a lot. But now it needs to push the plot forward fast. If it doesn't, I think it could still lose me.

ps - i think the acting on this show is near-uniformly terrible :thumbsdown

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 09 Apr , 2009 2:23 am

Holy crap EP8 was GREAT!! Asides from being a fantastic, exciting, moving, and thought-provoking story in its own right, in one fell swoop it made (almost) everything and everyone more compelling. There's been a weird storytelling problem with the show's lack of good (except maybe Paul but he's pretty dull) OR bad guys but now the show is starting to do intriguing things with the moral ambiguity of it all. Pretty cool! :cheers:

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 09 Apr , 2009 3:43 am
Takoyaki is love

WoW!!! I am really glad you are into the show Yovi. Ep 8 sort of depressed me but you are right, it is good for the show to deal with the moral aspects of the plot.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Thu 09 Apr , 2009 2:43 pm
Another bright red day

I completely agree, yov. I'll just add that I really liked getting to see the dolls' personalities. Victor especially is becoming more interesting. I'm glad it's started to take on more of an ensemble nature.

Also, I looved that they went into wardrobe. Maybe it's just the theatre student in me, but I've actually been wondering about that since the first episode.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 2:03 am
Another bright red day

Ok, this week was pretty solid. Then Alan Tudyk brought the AWESOME. And next week looks downright epic.

Please to be not canceling this, Fox. :pray:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 07 May , 2009 6:33 am
Takoyaki is love

I just saw the most current ep. It was so good!!. I am concerned Ballard will be turned into a doll though. Although he did turn away Mellie and went for Echo, poor Mellie/November. And poor Victor. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 6:54 am
Takoyaki is love

I have seen the end of the season. I hope there will be more but I doubt it. It was very well done and explained some stuff. (Also I have noticed DeWitt, being one of the scariest characters I have ever seen, does feel remorse at times. It is very interesting). Also, again at the core of it, ones essence of being can't be completely erased (/emptied/hollowed out). That is possibly why the most requested/most brilliant dolls are so brilliant. Whatever imprint Echo has she usually can do something pretty spectacular with it. Probably because Caroline was pretty brilliant to begin with. Spoiler: Same thing with Whiskey. Although she has been disfigured, she still comes up with brilliant ideas as Doctor Saunders, as demonstrated in the ep where some of the dolls got their own personalities back for a little while. While I was surprised she was a doll, I remember thinking in the pilot episodes, casting Amy Acker as a doctor was odd, and she would have better suited to be cast as a doll. Now it makes sense.

More spoilers It was very disturbing seeing how what led up to Whiskey's attack, while all the time everyone is acting quite childlike. Especially when Alpha says "Let Echo be number one" just like a little kid would, and then proceeds to hack at Whiskey's face. Also I hope and pray Madeline does not end up working at a flowers shop since, I have a feeling her sleeper programming is still in tact.

I will have more to say later as over the summer I am pretty sure I am going to rewatch the episodes.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 9:13 pm
Takoyaki is love

Anyone notice the music at the end of the episode? *hint it's from a movie*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 53 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: